Cool Hand Luke comes to the West End from September 2011 - tickets on sale now
If you're going to remake or retell a legendary Hollywood movie, you'd better be careful not to pick anything too iconic. Imagine a version of The Great Escape without Steve McQueen, or The French Connection without Gene Hackman. Or The Italian Job without Michael Caine (!).
Of course, some would work better than others, especially if you were considering a stage version. A premise that lent itself to a stage would work really well; something set in a hospital. Or a prison.
Cool Hand Luke is a 1967 Paul Newman film about Luke Jackson, sentenced to two years for 'cutting the heads off parking meters', and his struggle to earn the respect of the other prisoners. He wins them over with his poker bluff (earning him the moniker 'Cool Hand'), by making (and winning) a wager that he can eat 'fifty boiled eggs in one hour' and by being a generally cool and good looking rebel.
The respected Luke engineers several escape attempts with the support of his fellow prisoners, with varying degrees of success, but, ultimately, none are successful. Adapted from the 1965 book of the same name, by Donn Pearce, the 2011 stage production runs at London's Aldwych Theatre from 3rd October, following previews from 23rd September.
Star of BBC shows 'Hustle' and 'Mistresses', and Sky One's 'Mad Dogs', Marc Warren tackles the lead role. Warren will need to make 'the role his own' if he's to shake the ghost of Newman's Luke Jackson but, if he can manage it, then the story and plot are more than good enough to fill and thrill a landmark West End theatre for many months. Let's hope he likes boiled eggs.
Tickets for Cool Hand Luke are on sale from today, ranging from £16 to £46 and the show is currently booking until January 2012.
The Aldwych production, adapted by Emma Reeves and directed by Novel Theatre's Artistic Director Andrew Louden, replaces 'Dirty Dancing', which finishes its successful five-year London run in July - hitting the road from September.
You may be interested in
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Dirty DancingThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Dirty DancingNew Wimbledon Theatre (Wimbledon)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Dirty DancingNew Theatre (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 Dirty Dancing: On TourThe Sage (Gateshead)More Info..
- Mon 4th Feb 2019 to Sat 9th Feb 2019 Dirty Dancing: On TourThe Swan Theatre / High Wycombe Town Hall (High Wycombe)More Info..
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Dirty Dancing: On TourPrincess Theatre (Torquay)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Feb 2019 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Dirty Dancing: On TourGrand Theatre (Swansea)More Info..
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Dirty DancingFestival Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Mar 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Dirty DancingNew Victoria Theatre (Woking)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Mar 2019 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Dirty DancingAylesbury Waterside Theatre (Aylesbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Apr 2019 Dirty DancingThe Live Rooms Cleckheaton (Bradford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Dirty DancingPalace Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th May 2019 to Sat 11th May 2019 Dirty DancingEmpire (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th May 2019 to Sat 25th May 2019 Dirty DancingThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Jul 2019 to Sat 6th Jul 2019 Dirty DancingHippodrome (Bristol)Buy Tickets