R. C. Sherriff's Journey's End set for West End run from July 2011
A month or so ago, the world's last known First World War veteran passed away in his sleep at the age of 110. Claude Choules joined the Royal Navy at just 15 and served in The Great War before relocating to Australia where he died in May 2011.
His demise followed the passing in 2009 of 111-year-old Harry Patch - believed to be the last British survivor of the trenches - and veteran Henry Allingham who, at 113, had also been the world's oldest living man.
With Choules, Patch, Allingham and their generation died an irreplaceable connection to the memory and horror of the First World War. With these first-hand accounts of combat themselves consigned to history, it falls to museums and the arts to preserve the memory.
Thankfully, works like R.C. Sherriff's 'Journey's End', which is based on the author's own experience in the trenches, continue to thrill audiences and attract the very best in theatrical talent.
Written in 1928, 'Journey's End' is set in the trenches at Saint-Quentin, Aisne, towards the end of War. The story takes place in the officers' dugout over four days in March 1918. Its debut in December 1928 starred a young Laurence Olivier.
Sherriff considered calling Journey's End something more abstract - 'Suspense' and 'Waiting' were contenders - but eventually found the title in the poignant closing line of a chapter of an unmentioned book: "It was late in the evening when we came at last to our journey's end".
David Grindley's award-winning production of Sherriff's masterpiece is running at London's Duke of York's Theatre from Tuesday 19th July to Saturday 3rd September 2011. Tickets are available now, priced from £10 to £49.50.
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Mar 2018 An Evening with: Ant MiddletonBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Kite RunnerBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Levison WoodBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 BirdsongBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 KindertransportBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Tue 28th Aug 2018 Little WomenBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Private PeacefulBuy Tickets