Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011 - Ardal O'Hanlon to replace Sean Lock as Thursday headliner
The week-long Greenwich Comedy Festival is being held at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich from 5th to 11th September 2011.
Throughout the week, comedians perform evening shows in a Big Top tent on the banks of the Thames. Around the Big Top will be a number of bars, live music, cabaret and free-to-enter comedy shows in the Comedy Lounge. Entrance to the festival is free with entry to the Big Top priced at £18.50 to £24 for each evening.
The festival is open 6pm to midnight Monday to Thursday, and to 1am on Friday night. On Saturday and Sunday (10th/11th September), the festival is open from 2pm, closing at 1am on Saturday and midnight on Sunday.
Below are some of the big names confirmed for the festival, including Stephen K Amos who, it has recently been announced, is set to close the festival on Sunday 11th September.
Australian musician, writer and frazzle-haired comedian, Tim Minchin, has been added to the impressive Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011. Not only that, but he's leading the pack by kicking off the event. Tickets are on sale now, priced at £18.50 to £24. His recent show "Strings" with a full 55-piece orchestra, has been a sell-out success during the past year or so - expect to hear extracts from it plus usual Minchin classics.
International film star and acclaimed writer/producer Omid Djalili returns to stand-up after a turn as Fagin in West End smash-hit 'Oliver!' as well as starring in 'The Infidel' and BBC1's 'The Omid Djalili Show'. Renowned for his razor-sharp wit, boundless energy and expertly crafted cultural observations, Omid's original material continues to explore the diversity of modern Britain and he remains one of the most exciting entertainers on the circuit.
The Cockney geezer goes 'out-out' and heads to the Royal Naval College, after star turns on 'The Royal Variety Performance', 'Live At The Apollo' and 'Have I Got News For You'. Micky draws on his East End background to ruthless deconstruct the Cockney myth with razor-sharp observational wit and performs at Greenwich off the back of a 60-date sell-out national tour.
A welcome addition to any festival is the wide-eyed, almost boylike and hilarious Irishman, who will have to go considerable lengths to shake off his character role of Father Dougal in the long-running reverential comedy treasure, "Father Ted". O'Hanlon's delivery mixes pathos and personal calamities, all guaranteed to put bums on seats and smiles on faces.
Perrier Award-winning American Hall is grouchy, deadpan comedy genius. A regular on 'Live At The Apollo', 'Qi', he's a master of absurdist irony. Rich particularly likes to lay into Americans and life across the pond at every opportunity. He also likes to sing. Expect a set packed with hard hitting comedy and take-no-prisoners political commentary from one of the world's funniest comedians.
Expect a gag-packed set when king of the one-liners, Perrier Award winner and wearer of weird shirts on 'Mock The Week', Milton Jones, headlines the Big Top. With nine acclaimed series of his Radio 4 show 'The very world of Milton Jones' and star turns on 'Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow' and Dave's 'One Night Stand' under his belt, Jones is one of the UK's funniest and most unique comedy performers.
Stephen K Amos
It's been announced that another circuit big hitter will be performing at Greenwich, with Stephen K Amos headlining the final night in the Big Top. The veteran of BBC1's 'Live At The Apollo' has charmed and entertained audiences at sold-out shows all over the world with his hilarious observations and mischievous joie de vivre.
Stephen is supported on Sunday 11th September by the surreal and unpredictable comedy of Shooting Stars regular and 'award-winning burger van owner' Angelos Epithemiou, with more special guests to be announced.
You may be interested in
- Mon 3rd Jun 2019 and Mon 15th Jul 2019 Angelos EpithemiouSoho Theatre/ Studio (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 Abandoman, Edinburgh Festival PreviewThe Finsbury (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 Tim Key, Fin TaylorBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 Ivo Graham, Angelos Epithemiou, Edinburgh Festival PreviewThe Finsbury (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 to Sat 13th Jul 2019 Arthur SmithSoho Theatre/ Studio (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Stewart Lee, Shappi Khorsandi, Josie LongBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jul 2019 to Fri 12th Jul 2019 AbandomanThe Belly (Waterloo)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 Ealing Comedy Festival, Alan Davies, Boothby Graffoe, Luisa ...Walpole Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 Ealing Comedy Festival, Omid Djalili, Seann Walsh, Ian StoneWalpole Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Jul 2019 Ealing Comedy Festival, Sean Lock, Milton Jones, Alistair Mc...Walpole Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 Ealing Comedy Festival, Stephen K Amos, Geoff Norcott, Zoe L...Walpole Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 Stewart Francis: Into the PunsetBeck Theatre (Hayes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 Stewart Francis: Into the PunsetChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Ardal O'Hanlon: The Showing off Must Go onRichmond Theatre (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Nov 2019 Ardal O'HanlonNew Wimbledon Theatre (Wimbledon)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Nov 2019 Ardal O'Hanlon: The Showing off Must Go onAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Nov 2019 to Thu 14th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 Stewart Francis: Into the PunsetEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Feb 2020 to Sat 15th Feb 2020 Stephen K AmosLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Mar 2020 Milton JonesBeck Theatre (Hayes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Mar 2020 and Sat 28th Mar 2020 Milton JonesRichmond Theatre (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 12th Apr 2020 Milton JonesChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets