Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011 - Ardal O'Hanlon to replace Sean Lock as Thursday headliner
The week-long Greenwich Comedy Festival is being held at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich from 5th to 11th September 2011.
Throughout the week, comedians perform evening shows in a Big Top tent on the banks of the Thames. Around the Big Top will be a number of bars, live music, cabaret and free-to-enter comedy shows in the Comedy Lounge. Entrance to the festival is free with entry to the Big Top priced at £18.50 to £24 for each evening.
The festival is open 6pm to midnight Monday to Thursday, and to 1am on Friday night. On Saturday and Sunday (10th/11th September), the festival is open from 2pm, closing at 1am on Saturday and midnight on Sunday.
Below are some of the big names confirmed for the festival, including Stephen K Amos who, it has recently been announced, is set to close the festival on Sunday 11th September.
Australian musician, writer and frazzle-haired comedian, Tim Minchin, has been added to the impressive Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011. Not only that, but he's leading the pack by kicking off the event. Tickets are on sale now, priced at £18.50 to £24. His recent show "Strings" with a full 55-piece orchestra, has been a sell-out success during the past year or so - expect to hear extracts from it plus usual Minchin classics.
International film star and acclaimed writer/producer Omid Djalili returns to stand-up after a turn as Fagin in West End smash-hit 'Oliver!' as well as starring in 'The Infidel' and BBC1's 'The Omid Djalili Show'. Renowned for his razor-sharp wit, boundless energy and expertly crafted cultural observations, Omid's original material continues to explore the diversity of modern Britain and he remains one of the most exciting entertainers on the circuit.
The Cockney geezer goes 'out-out' and heads to the Royal Naval College, after star turns on 'The Royal Variety Performance', 'Live At The Apollo' and 'Have I Got News For You'. Micky draws on his East End background to ruthless deconstruct the Cockney myth with razor-sharp observational wit and performs at Greenwich off the back of a 60-date sell-out national tour.
A welcome addition to any festival is the wide-eyed, almost boylike and hilarious Irishman, who will have to go considerable lengths to shake off his character role of Father Dougal in the long-running reverential comedy treasure, "Father Ted". O'Hanlon's delivery mixes pathos and personal calamities, all guaranteed to put bums on seats and smiles on faces.
Perrier Award-winning American Hall is grouchy, deadpan comedy genius. A regular on 'Live At The Apollo', 'Qi', he's a master of absurdist irony. Rich particularly likes to lay into Americans and life across the pond at every opportunity. He also likes to sing. Expect a set packed with hard hitting comedy and take-no-prisoners political commentary from one of the world's funniest comedians.
Expect a gag-packed set when king of the one-liners, Perrier Award winner and wearer of weird shirts on 'Mock The Week', Milton Jones, headlines the Big Top. With nine acclaimed series of his Radio 4 show 'The very world of Milton Jones' and star turns on 'Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow' and Dave's 'One Night Stand' under his belt, Jones is one of the UK's funniest and most unique comedy performers.
Stephen K Amos
It's been announced that another circuit big hitter will be performing at Greenwich, with Stephen K Amos headlining the final night in the Big Top. The veteran of BBC1's 'Live At The Apollo' has charmed and entertained audiences at sold-out shows all over the world with his hilarious observations and mischievous joie de vivre.
Stephen is supported on Sunday 11th September by the surreal and unpredictable comedy of Shooting Stars regular and 'award-winning burger van owner' Angelos Epithemiou, with more special guests to be announced.
You may be interested in
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Stephen K AmosHarrow Arts Centre (Harrow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 Michael McIntyre, Jo Brand, Katherine Ryan, Josh Widdicombe,...: Christmas Charity ShowEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)More Info..
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Simon Amstell, Tim Key, Fern Brady, Fin Taylor, Rhys JamesEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 Tim Key, John Kearns, Ed GambleBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Dec 2018 Frisky and MannishThe Spiegeltent (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th Jan 2019 to Mon 18th Mar 2019 Angelos EpithemiouSoho Theatre/ Studio (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 Omid DjaliliWilton's Music Hall (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Milton JonesEl Toro (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 AbandomanSoho Theatre/ Studio (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th Feb 2019 David O'DohertyO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Stephen K Amos: Bouquets and BrickbatsLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Mar 2019 Andrew LawrenceLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Show and Tell: Milton Jones, John Robins, Angelos Epithemiou, Rhys James, K...Bloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Apr 2019 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 Rich Hall: Rich Hall's HoedownLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Ardal O'Hanlon: The Showing off Must Go onRichmond Theatre (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Nov 2019 Ardal O'Hanlon: The Showing off Must Go onAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Nov 2019 to Thu 14th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 Stewart Francis: Into the PunsetEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets