The Ladykillers in the West End from November 2011 - tickets available now
The Ladykillers was a 1955 black comedy produced by the legendary Ealing Studios, starring Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Jack Warner and Herbert Lom. It remains much loved.
It is about a sweet little old lady, alone in her house, pitting her wits against a gang of criminal misfits who will stop at nothing in their pursuit of loot. Drop the sweet little old lady in favour of a precocious real-life Bart Simpson and you've got yourself Home Alone (I'm looking at you, the late John Hughes). Almost.
So if you're going to do a new adaptation (sans Macaulay Culkin) for the stage, you better take great care. You'll need a brilliant comic writer with a light touch and a talented director. And what about the cast? Well, you're never going to beat Sellers and Guinness, so good luck with that.
Thankfully, The Ladykillers has been adapted by Graham Linehan (of Father Ted fame) and is directed by Sean Foley, the writer of Morecambe & Wise love letter, 'The Play What I Wrote'. The cast is also pretty impressive. BAFTA winner Peter Capaldi takes a break from playing the acidic Malcolm Tucker in 'The Thick of It' to take on the role of Professor Marcus, alongside James Fleet, Ben Miller and Olivier Award winner Clive Rowe, with Marcia Warren as the old lady, Mrs Wilberforce
Posing as amateur musicians, Professor Marcus and his gang rent rooms in Mrs Wilberforce's lopsided house, plotting to involve her, unwittingly, in Marcus' brilliantly conceived heist job. After the old lady becomes wise to their scheming, Marcus concludes there is only one way to keep her quiet...
The Ladykillers runs from Saturday 26th November 2011 at London's Gielgud Theatre, currently booking until Saturday 18th Feb 2012. Tickets are available now, priced from £35 (concessions from £12.50).
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 Booby's BayFinborough Theatre (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Again [play]Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Up 'n UnderThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Fri 30th Mar 2018 Simon DayBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Steptoe and SonDarwen Library Theatre (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Mortified LiveBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Mar 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 Quartet [play]Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 One Woman Sex and The CityBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 27th Jul 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Sat 28th Jul 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets