The Ladykillers in the West End from November 2011 - tickets available now
The Ladykillers was a 1955 black comedy produced by the legendary Ealing Studios, starring Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Jack Warner and Herbert Lom. It remains much loved.
It is about a sweet little old lady, alone in her house, pitting her wits against a gang of criminal misfits who will stop at nothing in their pursuit of loot. Drop the sweet little old lady in favour of a precocious real-life Bart Simpson and you've got yourself Home Alone (I'm looking at you, the late John Hughes). Almost.
So if you're going to do a new adaptation (sans Macaulay Culkin) for the stage, you better take great care. You'll need a brilliant comic writer with a light touch and a talented director. And what about the cast? Well, you're never going to beat Sellers and Guinness, so good luck with that.
Thankfully, The Ladykillers has been adapted by Graham Linehan (of Father Ted fame) and is directed by Sean Foley, the writer of Morecambe & Wise love letter, 'The Play What I Wrote'. The cast is also pretty impressive. BAFTA winner Peter Capaldi takes a break from playing the acidic Malcolm Tucker in 'The Thick of It' to take on the role of Professor Marcus, alongside James Fleet, Ben Miller and Olivier Award winner Clive Rowe, with Marcia Warren as the old lady, Mrs Wilberforce
Posing as amateur musicians, Professor Marcus and his gang rent rooms in Mrs Wilberforce's lopsided house, plotting to involve her, unwittingly, in Marcus' brilliantly conceived heist job. After the old lady becomes wise to their scheming, Marcus concludes there is only one way to keep her quiet...
The Ladykillers runs from Saturday 26th November 2011 at London's Gielgud Theatre, currently booking until Saturday 18th Feb 2012. Tickets are available now, priced from £35 (concessions from £12.50).
You may be interested in
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Wed 27th Mar 2019 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Wed 27th Mar 2019 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 True West [West End]Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Wed 27th Mar 2019 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Sat 5th Jan 2019 The Messiah [Patrick Barlow]Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Chasing BonoBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Christmas with Steptoe and SonBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Jan 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Abigail's PartyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Sat 9th Mar 2019 The Cripple of InishmaanBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 and Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Lord of the Game of the Ring of ThronesBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 to Fri 15th Mar 2019 Hancock's Half HourBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Wed 27th Mar 2019 Only Fools And Horses - The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Feb 2019 to Sat 9th Mar 2019 Stones in his PocketsBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Mar 2019 Three Men In A BoatCygnet Theatre (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Mar 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Wolf [Lewis Doherty]Buy Tickets