English National Opera announces autumn/ winter 2011 and 2012 season - tickets available now
The English National Opera company (ENO), based at the London Coliseum near Covent Garden, has announced its autumn/winter season of performances.
A mixture of contemporary and traditional, comedy and tragedy, the new season includes staging of classic works like Tosca and The Marriage of Figaro alongside once controversial operas such as The Passenger and The Death of Klinghoffer.
Ticket prices start at £12-£18 for balcony seats, rising to £92-£99 for the best stalls tickets.
The Elixir of Love
Following its 2010 ENO debut, Jonathan Miller's affectionately comic take on Donizetti's bitter-sweet rural romance returns with a fresh cast. Young soprano Lucy Crowe is Adina, while fast-rising tenor Ben Johnson and baritone Benedict Nelson play the nerdy mechanic and the gum-chewing GI vying for her affections. From 15th September to 8th October 2011.
An encounter between a former Auschwitz guard and a former prisoner plunges both back into the horrors of the Holocaust, pitting perpetrator against victim in a moral battle between guilt and denial, retribution and absolution. Based upon a semi-autobiographical novel by Auschwitz survivor Zofia Posmysz, Polish composer Mieczysław Weinberg's 1968 opera was hailed as 'a work that demands and deserves to be seen'. From 19th September to 25th October 2011.
The Marriage of Figaro
Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro whisks us through 'one crazy day' as Figaro, the Count's valet, attempts to wed his beloved Susanna, the Countess's maid, before their philandering master can bed her first. Leading stage and screen actress Fiona Shaw plots a path through The Marriage of Figaro's moral maze of disguises, deceptions, sexual intrigue, mutual suspicion and mistaken identity. From 5th October to Thursday 10th November 2011.
Castor and Pollux
A celebration of brotherly rather than romantic love, Castor and Pollux is a work of ethereal beauty, rich in affecting airs, elegant dances and powerful choruses, with a plot that sweeps spectacularly from ancient Sparta down to the gates of Hell and up to the starry vault of Heaven. Allan Clayton and Roderick Williams star as the twins so devoted that each is willing to die in place of the other. From 24th October to 1st December 2011.
Intimate, poignant depiction of passion and unrequited love, Tchaikovsky's lyrical masterpiece returns with a new staging that reunites director Deborah Warner and Music Director Edward Gardner. Alongside soprano Amanda Echalaz as the impressionable young country-girl Tatyana, tenor Toby Spence plays the tragically self-dramatising poet Lensky. From 12th November to 3rd December 2011.
Puccini's Tosca is a tense political and sexual thriller set in Rome at the time of Napoleon's invasion of Italy. Directed by celebrated American soprano Catherine Malfitano, this production is conducted by Stephen Lord, following his acclaimed ENO performances in revivals of Jonathan Miller's Rigoletto and La Bohème. Claire Rutter assumes the role of the temperamental diva Tosca, alongside Anthony Michaels-Moore as the sadistic police chief Scarpia. From 26th November 2011 to 29th January 2012.
Richard Strauss' Viennese comedy returns to the London Coliseum in David McVicar's staging, first seen in 2008. Sarah Connolly returns as the ardent young 'Knight of the Rose', with Sophie Bevan as the innocent Sophie. Amanda Roocroft makes her role debut as the Marschallin, the worldly 'older woman' who graciously cedes her teenage lover to a younger rival. From 28th January to 27th February 2012.
The Tales of Hoffmann
Hopelessly besotted with a flighty prima donna, the poet Hoffmann drunkenly recalls the three loves of his life in Offenbach's operatic swansong, which boasts such hit numbers as the clockwork-driven 'Doll's Song' and the seductively swooning 'Barcarolle'. Blurring dreams and reality, The Tales of Hoffmann is perfectly suited to the imagination of director Richard Jones, back at ENO after his Olivier Award-nominated Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci in 2008. From 10th February to 10th March 2012.
The Death of Klinghoffer
The ENO presents the London stage premiere of John Adam's controversial 'docu-opera' about the killing of a Jewish-American tourist during the hijacking of a Mediterranean cruise liner by Palestinian militants. Tom Morris, co-director of the National Theatre's War Horse, makes his opera directing debut, while Baldur Brönnimann applies his contemporary expertise to what many regard as Adams's finest opera. From 25th February to 9th March 2012.
- Tue 10th Mar 2020 The Marriage of Figaro, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Mar 2020 The Marriage of Figaro, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Mar 2020 The Marriage of Figaro, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th May 2020 The Marriage of FigaroHippodrome (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 26th May 2019 An evening with: Katherine Jenkins, London Concert Orchestra - Guiding LightBord Gáis Energy Theatre (formerly Grand Canal Theatre) (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 Katherine JenkinsWaterfront Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 All My SonsMore Info..
- Mon 27th May 2019 to Mon 17th Jun 2019 Tosca [Royal Opera], Angela Gheorghiu, Bryn TerfelBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Man of La Mancha [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 Mark Billy BillinghamBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 Jonathan Ansell, Rhydian RobertsSpa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2019 Joyce DiDonatoBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 to Sat 16th Nov 2019 Space SpectacularBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 Alfie Boe: Party at the CastleSudeley Castle (Gloucestershire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 An Evening with: Kelsey Grammer, Iain LeeAldwych Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Jun 2019 Birmingham Classical, Opera North: AidaSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 to Fri 5th Jul 2019 The Light in the PiazzaBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 to Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Hansel and Gretel [Open Air Theatre]Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 José Carreras: Farewell LondonKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 to Sun 13th Oct 2019 A Midsummer Night's DreamBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Specials, Echo and the Bunnymen, Beve...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Celine Dion, J...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, Keane, KT Tunstall, Elkie Brooks, The Shi...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Beach Boys, Paul Carrack, Alfie Boe, ...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Lytham Festival, Michael Ball, Sheridan Smith: Hollywood PromsLytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 Lesley GarrettRoyal Hippodrome Theatre (Eastbourne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 80s Classical: Jimmy Somerville, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Johnny Hates Ja...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 Opera NorthMillennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 Heather Small, Rowetta, Sara Garvey, Orchestra of Opera Nort...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Evita [Open Air Theatre]Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Aug 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Les Misérables: The All-star Staged ConcertBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Sep 2019 to Sat 2nd Nov 2019 The EntertainerBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 and Mon 21st Oct 2019 Simon WestonBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Sep 2019 to Sat 28th Sep 2019 Ant MiddletonBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Sep 2019 ENO Screening: Pretty WomanRavenscourt Park (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 Jonathan AnsellComedy Lounge (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Oct 2019 to Tue 19th Nov 2019 Orpheus and Eurydice [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 to Thu 28th Nov 2019 Orpheus in the Underworld [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Wed 13th Nov 2019 The Mask of Orpheus [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 to Sun 27th Oct 2019 Andrea BocelliBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 The NutcrackerCharter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 The Mikado [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Oct 2019 Philip Glass Ensemble, Philip GlassBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Nov 2019 to Tue 19th Nov 2019 Welsh National OperaBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 Sarah BrightmanRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Nov 2019 to Thu 21st Nov 2019 L'elisir D'amoreBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Nov 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 La BohèmeBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Nov 2019 to Wed 27th Nov 2019 Orphée [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Jan 2020 to Sat 22nd Feb 2020 Carmen [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Feb 2020 to Sat 22nd Feb 2020 Luisa Miller [ENO]Buy Tickets