English National Opera announces autumn/ winter 2011 and 2012 season - tickets available now
The English National Opera company (ENO), based at the London Coliseum near Covent Garden, has announced its autumn/winter season of performances.
A mixture of contemporary and traditional, comedy and tragedy, the new season includes staging of classic works like Tosca and The Marriage of Figaro alongside once controversial operas such as The Passenger and The Death of Klinghoffer.
Ticket prices start at £12-£18 for balcony seats, rising to £92-£99 for the best stalls tickets.
The Elixir of Love
Following its 2010 ENO debut, Jonathan Miller's affectionately comic take on Donizetti's bitter-sweet rural romance returns with a fresh cast. Young soprano Lucy Crowe is Adina, while fast-rising tenor Ben Johnson and baritone Benedict Nelson play the nerdy mechanic and the gum-chewing GI vying for her affections. From 15th September to 8th October 2011.
An encounter between a former Auschwitz guard and a former prisoner plunges both back into the horrors of the Holocaust, pitting perpetrator against victim in a moral battle between guilt and denial, retribution and absolution. Based upon a semi-autobiographical novel by Auschwitz survivor Zofia Posmysz, Polish composer Mieczysław Weinberg's 1968 opera was hailed as 'a work that demands and deserves to be seen'. From 19th September to 25th October 2011.
The Marriage of Figaro
Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro whisks us through 'one crazy day' as Figaro, the Count's valet, attempts to wed his beloved Susanna, the Countess's maid, before their philandering master can bed her first. Leading stage and screen actress Fiona Shaw plots a path through The Marriage of Figaro's moral maze of disguises, deceptions, sexual intrigue, mutual suspicion and mistaken identity. From 5th October to Thursday 10th November 2011.
Castor and Pollux
A celebration of brotherly rather than romantic love, Castor and Pollux is a work of ethereal beauty, rich in affecting airs, elegant dances and powerful choruses, with a plot that sweeps spectacularly from ancient Sparta down to the gates of Hell and up to the starry vault of Heaven. Allan Clayton and Roderick Williams star as the twins so devoted that each is willing to die in place of the other. From 24th October to 1st December 2011.
Intimate, poignant depiction of passion and unrequited love, Tchaikovsky's lyrical masterpiece returns with a new staging that reunites director Deborah Warner and Music Director Edward Gardner. Alongside soprano Amanda Echalaz as the impressionable young country-girl Tatyana, tenor Toby Spence plays the tragically self-dramatising poet Lensky. From 12th November to 3rd December 2011.
Puccini's Tosca is a tense political and sexual thriller set in Rome at the time of Napoleon's invasion of Italy. Directed by celebrated American soprano Catherine Malfitano, this production is conducted by Stephen Lord, following his acclaimed ENO performances in revivals of Jonathan Miller's Rigoletto and La Bohème. Claire Rutter assumes the role of the temperamental diva Tosca, alongside Anthony Michaels-Moore as the sadistic police chief Scarpia. From 26th November 2011 to 29th January 2012.
Richard Strauss' Viennese comedy returns to the London Coliseum in David McVicar's staging, first seen in 2008. Sarah Connolly returns as the ardent young 'Knight of the Rose', with Sophie Bevan as the innocent Sophie. Amanda Roocroft makes her role debut as the Marschallin, the worldly 'older woman' who graciously cedes her teenage lover to a younger rival. From 28th January to 27th February 2012.
The Tales of Hoffmann
Hopelessly besotted with a flighty prima donna, the poet Hoffmann drunkenly recalls the three loves of his life in Offenbach's operatic swansong, which boasts such hit numbers as the clockwork-driven 'Doll's Song' and the seductively swooning 'Barcarolle'. Blurring dreams and reality, The Tales of Hoffmann is perfectly suited to the imagination of director Richard Jones, back at ENO after his Olivier Award-nominated Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci in 2008. From 10th February to 10th March 2012.
The Death of Klinghoffer
The ENO presents the London stage premiere of John Adam's controversial 'docu-opera' about the killing of a Jewish-American tourist during the hijacking of a Mediterranean cruise liner by Palestinian militants. Tom Morris, co-director of the National Theatre's War Horse, makes his opera directing debut, while Baldur Brönnimann applies his contemporary expertise to what many regard as Adams's finest opera. From 25th February to 9th March 2012.
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 The Marriage of FigaroRegent Theatre/ Britannia Suite (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Tosca, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Tosca, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 Swan Lake [Royal Ballet]Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Kite RunnerBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sun 1st Jul 2018 TriOperasBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 and Tue 12th Jun 2018 Swan LakeBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Sunset BoulevardBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 BirdsongBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Private PeacefulBuy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Alfie BoeBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 Jonathan Ansell, Rhydian RobertsAssembly Hall Theatre (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Earl OkinChapel Arts Centre (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 Pressure [David Haig]Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 A Midsummer Night's DreamBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Hacienda ClassicalBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Tue 28th Aug 2018 Little WomenBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Alfie BoeKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 La Boheme [Royal Opera]Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Andrew Lloyd Webber - A Musical Celebration: Live at Chelsea, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mica Paris, Ben Forste...The Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 Susan BoyleAlhambra Theatre (Dunfermline)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Kiss Me, Kate [Opera North]Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Kris KristoffersonKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 The Turn of the Screw [Regent's Park]Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Royal Philharmonic Concert Or...: Movie Themes of John WilliamsKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Last Night of the Kenwood Proms: Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Katherine Jenkins, Royal Phil...Kenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 Don Giovanni [Royal Opera]Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Here and Now - The Very Best ...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Jess Glynne, Ella Eyre, Louis...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 and Sat 28th Jul 2018 Outside Live: Katherine JenkinsBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, 2CellosAudley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Orchestra of Opera North, Kathryn Rudge, Ryedale FestivalSpa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 A Boundless Summer, Katherine Jenkins, National Symphony Orc...Borde Hill Gardens (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Opera North in the City, Back to Basics, Orchestra of Opera ...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Simon WestonHanger Farm Arts Centre (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 Ant MiddletonBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 Madam ButterflyBarbican Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Bryn TerfelRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 The Wipers TimesBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 to Thu 3rd Jan 2019 The NutcrackerBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Levison Wood: Journeys Through the Badlands and BeyondBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Andrea BocelliBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Jun 2019 Space SpectacularBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Fri 8th Mar 2019 Welsh National OperaBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 The Merry Widow, Opera NorthBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Glyndebourne on Tour: CendrillonBuy Tickets
- Sun 13th Jan 2019 The Irish TenorsINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Mozart RequiemRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Mar 2019 and Sat 9th Mar 2019 The Magic Flute, Opera NorthBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Mar 2019 Katya Kabanova, Opera NorthThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Mar 2019 and Sat 9th Mar 2019 Welsh National Opera, The Magic Flute [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Gianni SchicchiThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th May 2019 to Sat 18th May 2019 Scottish OperaBuy Tickets