Fat Friday 3rd June 2011: PJ Harvey, Rumer, Jessie J, Lenny Kravitz, Il Divo, CSS, Death From Above 1979 and more
New tickets this week certainly have an element of 'girl power' about them, with PJ Harvey and Rumer leading the way at the top of the pile. But the boys aren't so far behind - a mixture of easy-classical from Il Divo, dread-swingin' funk-rock from Lenny Kravitz and the evergreen techno-darkwave world of Gary Numan should balance out the battle of the sexes. If not, we'll banish you to the next Circus of Horrors rehearsal programme - or maybe just one of their shows instead...
In addition to her upcoming festival performances at the Electric Picnic (Ireland) and Bestival (Isle Of Wight), PJ Harvey has announced two shows for two big cities. Glasgow's Concert Hall (4th September) and Manchester's Apollo (8th) will be priced at around £30.
Rather than taking life "Slow" these days, the velvet-tonsilled singer is heading out on tour later in the autumn, calling at Blackpool (10th November), Sheffield (12th) and several more until a huge date at the Royal Albert Hall on the 22nd (her second in 6 months - she's playing at the John Barry Memorial Concert in July). Tickets are priced at £19.50 - £25.
It looks like the 'Sound of 2011' is feeling a little guilty at hogging the 'yoof' festival circuit this year - she's announced a string of UK dates in October. First stop is Birmingham on the 17th, followed by various stops including Doncaster, Plymouth and the closing gig in Brighton on 3rd November. £23.50 - £25.
As previously reported, Kravitz will the live arena and album schedules with the Black and White project, which includes an extensive European tour. Lenny will make just one stop in the UK - Hammersmith Apollo on 27th October with prices starting at £34.50.
The London Coliseum is not as unlikely a venue for an Il Divo concert as you may first think - they've already performed (and won Artist Of The Decade) at the Classical Brits this year, plus they have a brand new album designated for November release. £55 is the asking price and full details will be released soon.
First stop on the Dead Son Rising tour is Nottingham on 15th September, followed by Bournemouth, Shepherd's Bush, Wolves, Liverpool, Glasgow and finally Leeds. Tickets will be on general sale from Friday at 9am with prices varying from £20 to £25. Demand will be high, we kid you not!
LA rockers Incubus have announced a UK date (possibly one of a few) in the shape of the HMV Forum on 14th June - jeepers, that's next month!! You can expect tracks from their new album, "If Not Now, When" and to pay £28.50 for a ticket.
Look out UK - Shaky's coming to town! He sold out a fair chunk of his last UK tour in February so don't be surprised if these new ones sell out quickly as well. As well as performing at Bury St. Edmunds Abbey Gardens in July, he will revisit Glasgow plus new stops in Wolverhampton and Sheffield - tickets are £23.50 and £25.
New album "La Liberacion" is looming on the horizon for the Brazilian outfit, as well as some new UK dates, their first since 2008 (save for a few DJ sets during the following year). Gigs include Brighton, London, Birmingham and Manchester during August - £12.50 to £15.
Death from Above
Death from Above 1979
The noise-rock duo called it a day some 5 years ago but have recently reformed for some huge festival action at Reading and Leeds. In addition, the pair have announced headline dates in Manchester and Brixton in October - tickets are on sale Friday, priced at £17.50/£21.50.
Billed as 'The Final Show', the gig in West London is set to take place on 27th September in response to enormous public demand for the preceding tour date at the same venue (the 16th). Tickets for this big send-off are priced at £18.
"Together We Are Made" is the title of the Brighton-based band's new opus and they'd very much like you to see them on tour during October. Towns include Bournemouth (3rd), Leeds (8th) and Manchester (10th) and tickets cost £16.50.
Now what do you do when you're caught with a sack-load of grass by the feds? You detract attention from your huge fine and unwanted attention by releasing an album called "Rolling Papers", of course! The US rapper is in the UK from 2nd November (Glasgow) to the 11th (Leeds and tickets weigh in at £20 - £21.50.
The up-and-coming stand-up comedian has already been gracing Edinburgh Fringe stages for a good old while, yet hasn't quite broken into the bigger spotlight - yet. He's announced the makings of a bigger tour for the autumn with dates from Brighton (12th Oct) to the Bloomsbury Theatre (6th Dec) - tickets start at £12.50.
When Manchester's post-punk sons Magazine last played headlining gigs in the UK, audiences were amazed at just how vital and vociferous Devoto and co are, some thirty years 'after the fact'. They've recently been added to The Hop Farm Festival 2011, which means a quick 45-minute festival warm-up gig in Wolverhampton. The date to remember is 30th June and the ticket price is £16.
Eminem will play just three UK dates this year: two as part of V Festival 2011 in Chelmsford and Staffordshire, and the recently-announced Tennent's Vital 2011 festival in Bangor, County Down (Northern Ireland) on 24th August.. Tickets will cost £49.50. Fellow label-mates D12 [D-12] and Slaughterhouse are also over in the UK around the same time.
Q-Tip hasn't been over in the UK for two years - the last time was a sell-out at the Roundhouse in London - just the one date. The rapper from A Tribe Called Quest will this time grace the UK with not one, but two dates: Manchester and London in August. Tickets will cost £25 for Manchester and start from £28.50 for London.
Staying on the Hip Hop tip, but adding a twist of neo-soul, The Roots will also play a rare UK date this August at the Hammersmith Apollo. The band were over here last year with RnB singer John Legend, promoting their joint album 'Wake Up!' for just the one London date. It looks like it's just the one London date again, and tickets will cost £35.
Emmy the Great
Emmy the Great is due to release her second album 'Virtue', the follow-up to the acclaimed debut album 'First Love' on 13th June. And to tie-in with that, the singer/ songwriter has just announced an autumn tour which starts in London on 17th September.
First stop for her Highlands tour is the Isle of Mull at the Aros Hall, Tobermory on 18th July, followed by remote stops in Stornoway (20th), the Aros Hall in Portree, Skye (21st), Banchory (22nd), Orkney (25th) and finally the city of Inverness on 26th, all priced around £20. Additionally, the previously-postponed Aberdeen date has been rescheduled to 23rd July.
US funk-rock (and occasionally audience-participated improv) band are back in the UK with actor Jackson Rathbone at the helm, armed with a new album entitled "Liquid Zoo". Shows include Manchester (12th Dec), Birmingham (14th) and Islington (15th) - tickets are £10 and £12.
English National Opera
English National Opera [ENO]
Another new season beckons for the ENO at the London Coliseum, with autumn and winter set to provide plenty of heart-warming productions. Donizetti's "The Elixir of Love" starts the season off on 15th Sep and runs until 8th Oct, followed by other productions including Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro (5th Oct - 10th Nov) and Puccini's Tosca (26th Nov - 29th Jan), as well as rare performances of Rameau's Castor and Pollux (24th Oct - 1st Dec) and Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier (28th Jan - 27th Feb). Prices start at £12.
- Thu 16th May 2019 to Sat 22nd Jun 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Pub in the Park, Jake Bugg, The Bluetones, All SaintsHigginson Park - Marlow (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluet...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 to Fri 7th Jun 2019 Emmy the GreatBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2019 to Sat 1st Feb 2020 Circus of HorrorsBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 Pub in the Park, Will Young, The Bluetones, DJ Craig Charles: Evening SessionThe Lambing Shed (Knutsford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Jun 2019 Lenny KravitzThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Jun 2019 to Wed 3rd Jul 2019 Il DivoBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 My Darling Clementine, The Feeling, Freak PowerWallingford Sports Park (Wallingford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 and Sun 14th Jul 2019 Pub in the Park, Will Young, The Bluetones: Evening SessionBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 OnBlackheath, Jamiroquai, The Roots, James Morrison, Jacob C...Blackheath Common (Blackheath)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Sep 2019 to Fri 25th Oct 2019 Gary NumanBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 Mark Morriss, Tommy Scott, The Bluetones, SpaceWater Rats (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Mar 2020 to Sat 14th Mar 2020 The Marriage of Figaro, Opera NorthBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th May 2020 The Marriage of FigaroHippodrome (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Magic Mike LiveThe Hippodrome (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Rufus Wainwright: All These PosesBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Glenn Wool: Wool's Gold IIBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Lost Voice GuyLowther Pavilion (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Hollywood UndeadO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 to Sat 11th May 2019 All About Eve [play]Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 The Specials: 40th anniversaryDe Montfort Hall and Gardens (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 An Evening with: Devin TownsendBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)More Info..
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Everybody's Talking About JamieBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Alfie BrownThe Finsbury (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 TirzahScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Papa Roach, Nothing More: Who Do You Trust?Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Ivo GrahamBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Michael Ball: Coming Home To YouBonus Arena (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Hall & Oates, KT TunstallResorts World Arena/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Eyre LlewThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 SuedeO2 Academy Leeds (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Tom Walker, Jade BirdO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)More Info..
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 RestorationsRedrum (Stafford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 KiD iNkElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 PuppyBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Jess KleinKingsmead House (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Suzi RuffellBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 LowkeyBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Diane CluckThe Moon Club (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Murray LightburnSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 RamriddlzThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Teenage Werewolves, Mutant Movement, Dr Diablo and the Roden...Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Bear's DenO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)More Info..
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Dancing On TablesDrummonds [Cafe Drummond] (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Bert KreischerBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Bad MannersMaesteg Town Hall (Bridgend)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Weyes BloodYES (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Adrian YoungeIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 CabbageThe Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Circus WonderlandPages Park (Leighton Buzzard)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 The Burning HellThe Blue Arrow Club (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Nostrum Grocers: Fearless Vampire Killers TourBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Continental Circus BerlinWest Park (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Planet CircusNorth Park - Bootle (Merseyside)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Circus SallaiBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 MullallyThe Hare and Hounds Birmingham (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Zippo's CircusBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Steve Bugeja, Adam HessAces & Eights (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Tom Paxton and the Donjuans: Tom PaxtonBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 Red Rum Club, Saint AgnesNambucca (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Apr 2019 JAWSElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Apr 2019 Stealing SheepBroadcast (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Apr 2019 Sleaford ModsChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets