Fat Friday 3rd June 2011: PJ Harvey, Rumer, Jessie J, Lenny Kravitz, Il Divo, CSS, Death From Above 1979 and more
New tickets this week certainly have an element of 'girl power' about them, with PJ Harvey and Rumer leading the way at the top of the pile. But the boys aren't so far behind - a mixture of easy-classical from Il Divo, dread-swingin' funk-rock from Lenny Kravitz and the evergreen techno-darkwave world of Gary Numan should balance out the battle of the sexes. If not, we'll banish you to the next Circus of Horrors rehearsal programme - or maybe just one of their shows instead...
In addition to her upcoming festival performances at the Electric Picnic (Ireland) and Bestival (Isle Of Wight), PJ Harvey has announced two shows for two big cities. Glasgow's Concert Hall (4th September) and Manchester's Apollo (8th) will be priced at around £30.
Rather than taking life "Slow" these days, the velvet-tonsilled singer is heading out on tour later in the autumn, calling at Blackpool (10th November), Sheffield (12th) and several more until a huge date at the Royal Albert Hall on the 22nd (her second in 6 months - she's playing at the John Barry Memorial Concert in July). Tickets are priced at £19.50 - £25.
It looks like the 'Sound of 2011' is feeling a little guilty at hogging the 'yoof' festival circuit this year - she's announced a string of UK dates in October. First stop is Birmingham on the 17th, followed by various stops including Doncaster, Plymouth and the closing gig in Brighton on 3rd November. £23.50 - £25.
As previously reported, Kravitz will the live arena and album schedules with the Black and White project, which includes an extensive European tour. Lenny will make just one stop in the UK - Hammersmith Apollo on 27th October with prices starting at £34.50.
The London Coliseum is not as unlikely a venue for an Il Divo concert as you may first think - they've already performed (and won Artist Of The Decade) at the Classical Brits this year, plus they have a brand new album designated for November release. £55 is the asking price and full details will be released soon.
First stop on the Dead Son Rising tour is Nottingham on 15th September, followed by Bournemouth, Shepherd's Bush, Wolves, Liverpool, Glasgow and finally Leeds. Tickets will be on general sale from Friday at 9am with prices varying from £20 to £25. Demand will be high, we kid you not!
LA rockers Incubus have announced a UK date (possibly one of a few) in the shape of the HMV Forum on 14th June - jeepers, that's next month!! You can expect tracks from their new album, "If Not Now, When" and to pay £28.50 for a ticket.
Look out UK - Shaky's coming to town! He sold out a fair chunk of his last UK tour in February so don't be surprised if these new ones sell out quickly as well. As well as performing at Bury St. Edmunds Abbey Gardens in July, he will revisit Glasgow plus new stops in Wolverhampton and Sheffield - tickets are £23.50 and £25.
New album "La Liberacion" is looming on the horizon for the Brazilian outfit, as well as some new UK dates, their first since 2008 (save for a few DJ sets during the following year). Gigs include Brighton, London, Birmingham and Manchester during August - £12.50 to £15.
Death from Above
Death from Above 1979
The noise-rock duo called it a day some 5 years ago but have recently reformed for some huge festival action at Reading and Leeds. In addition, the pair have announced headline dates in Manchester and Brixton in October - tickets are on sale Friday, priced at £17.50/£21.50.
Billed as 'The Final Show', the gig in West London is set to take place on 27th September in response to enormous public demand for the preceding tour date at the same venue (the 16th). Tickets for this big send-off are priced at £18.
"Together We Are Made" is the title of the Brighton-based band's new opus and they'd very much like you to see them on tour during October. Towns include Bournemouth (3rd), Leeds (8th) and Manchester (10th) and tickets cost £16.50.
Now what do you do when you're caught with a sack-load of grass by the feds? You detract attention from your huge fine and unwanted attention by releasing an album called "Rolling Papers", of course! The US rapper is in the UK from 2nd November (Glasgow) to the 11th (Leeds and tickets weigh in at £20 - £21.50.
The up-and-coming stand-up comedian has already been gracing Edinburgh Fringe stages for a good old while, yet hasn't quite broken into the bigger spotlight - yet. He's announced the makings of a bigger tour for the autumn with dates from Brighton (12th Oct) to the Bloomsbury Theatre (6th Dec) - tickets start at £12.50.
When Manchester's post-punk sons Magazine last played headlining gigs in the UK, audiences were amazed at just how vital and vociferous Devoto and co are, some thirty years 'after the fact'. They've recently been added to The Hop Farm Festival 2011, which means a quick 45-minute festival warm-up gig in Wolverhampton. The date to remember is 30th June and the ticket price is £16.
Eminem will play just three UK dates this year: two as part of V Festival 2011 in Chelmsford and Staffordshire, and the recently-announced Tennent's Vital 2011 festival in Bangor, County Down (Northern Ireland) on 24th August.. Tickets will cost £49.50. Fellow label-mates D12 [D-12] and Slaughterhouse are also over in the UK around the same time.
Q-Tip hasn't been over in the UK for two years - the last time was a sell-out at the Roundhouse in London - just the one date. The rapper from A Tribe Called Quest will this time grace the UK with not one, but two dates: Manchester and London in August. Tickets will cost £25 for Manchester and start from £28.50 for London.
Staying on the Hip Hop tip, but adding a twist of neo-soul, The Roots will also play a rare UK date this August at the Hammersmith Apollo. The band were over here last year with RnB singer John Legend, promoting their joint album 'Wake Up!' for just the one London date. It looks like it's just the one London date again, and tickets will cost £35.
Emmy the Great
Emmy the Great is due to release her second album 'Virtue', the follow-up to the acclaimed debut album 'First Love' on 13th June. And to tie-in with that, the singer/ songwriter has just announced an autumn tour which starts in London on 17th September.
First stop for her Highlands tour is the Isle of Mull at the Aros Hall, Tobermory on 18th July, followed by remote stops in Stornoway (20th), the Aros Hall in Portree, Skye (21st), Banchory (22nd), Orkney (25th) and finally the city of Inverness on 26th, all priced around £20. Additionally, the previously-postponed Aberdeen date has been rescheduled to 23rd July.
US funk-rock (and occasionally audience-participated improv) band are back in the UK with actor Jackson Rathbone at the helm, armed with a new album entitled "Liquid Zoo". Shows include Manchester (12th Dec), Birmingham (14th) and Islington (15th) - tickets are £10 and £12.
English National Opera
English National Opera [ENO]
Another new season beckons for the ENO at the London Coliseum, with autumn and winter set to provide plenty of heart-warming productions. Donizetti's "The Elixir of Love" starts the season off on 15th Sep and runs until 8th Oct, followed by other productions including Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro (5th Oct - 10th Nov) and Puccini's Tosca (26th Nov - 29th Jan), as well as rare performances of Rameau's Castor and Pollux (24th Oct - 1st Dec) and Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier (28th Jan - 27th Feb). Prices start at £12.
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Fri 16th Nov 2018 Tosca, Opera NorthBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Jessie JBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Gary Numan, Skaparis OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Wed 20th Mar 2019 Circus of Horrors: Psycho AsylumBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Laugh Till It Hurts, Stephen Grant, Joe Wilkinson, Sally-Ann...Bloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 and Wed 16th Jan 2019 In Conversation with: Gary Numan, Spoken WordBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Shakin' StevensBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 to Wed 3rd Jul 2019 Il DivoBuy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Joe LycettCliffs Pavilion (Southend)More Info..
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Billy OceanRoyal Concert Hall/ Strathclyde Suite (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Sara Pascoe: LadsLadsLadsThe Stables - Wavendon (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 Woman To Woman, Judie Tzuke, Beverley Craven, Julia FordhamBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Hal CruttendenOakengates Theatre (Telford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Camille O'SullivanCity Varieties Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Tom Misch: GeographyO2 Apollo (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Killing Joke: Laugh at Your PerilUniversity of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Culture Club, Belinda Carlisle, Thompson Twins - Tom Bailey: LifeWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 All the Luck in the WorldBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Flawless: Chase The Dream - The Grand FinaleIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Welsh National OperaHippodrome (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Chris Ramsey: Just Happy to Get Out of the HouseGordon Craig Theatre (Stevenage)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Kurt VileVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Trudy And The RomanceMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 King No-OneBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Porgy and Bess [ENO]Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Ezra CollectivePatterns (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Johnny Marr: Call the CometO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Daliso ChapondaLaughter Lounge Comedy Club (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Magic Mike LiveThe Hippodrome (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 WandBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Interpol, Nilüfer YanyaRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 BLOXXBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Zebrahead, Suburban LegendsO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 'A', Wheatus, InMe: Hi-Fi SeriousManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Paul Draper: AcousticMole's Club (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 Courtney BarnettBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Therapy?The Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Dashboard ConfessionalRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 SupersuckersThe Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Hugh CornwellOran Mor (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 FindlayCastle and Falcon (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Dan Reed, Mason Hill: Origins TourWarehouse 23 (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 TVAMThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 SheafsOporto (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 SaladO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 EstronsCavern Club (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 King NunBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Roddy WoombleSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Kississippi, TancredWaterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 Tonight AliveBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 HindsClwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jonah Matranga: Water and SolutionsFirebug (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Seamus FogartyThe Crofters Rights (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 BANFIThe Cuban Embassy (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Lil Pump: Harverd Drop OutO2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Bitch FalconThe Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 RewsBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 LarkinsBuy Tickets