Fat Friday 3rd June 2011: PJ Harvey, Rumer, Jessie J, Lenny Kravitz, Il Divo, CSS, Death From Above 1979 and more
Posted: 1st June 2011
New tickets this week certainly have an element of 'girl power' about them, with PJ Harvey and Rumer leading the way at the top of the pile. But the boys aren't so far behind - a mixture of easy-classical from Il Divo, dread-swingin' funk-rock from Lenny Kravitz and the evergreen techno-darkwave world of Gary Numan should balance out the battle of the sexes. If not, we'll banish you to the next Circus Of Horrors rehearsal programme - or maybe just one of their shows instead...
In addition to her upcoming festival performances at the Electric Picnic (Ireland) and Bestival (Isle Of Wight), has announced two shows for two big cities. Glasgow's Concert Hall (4th September) and Manchester's Apollo (8th) will be priced at around £30.
Rather than taking life "Slow" these days, the velvet-tonsilled singer is heading out on tour later in the autumn, calling at Blackpool (10th November), Sheffield (12th) and several more until a huge date at the Royal Albert Hall on the 22nd (her second in 6 months - she's playing at the John Barry Memorial Concert in July). Tickets are priced at £19.50 - £25.
It looks like the 'Sound of 2011' is feeling a little guilty at hogging the 'yoof' festival circuit this year - she's announced a string of UK dates in October. First stop is Birmingham on the 17th, followed by various stops including Doncaster, Plymouth and the closing gig in Brighton on 3rd November. £23.50 - £25.
As previously reported, Kravitz will the live arena and album schedules with the Black and White project, which includes an extensive European tour. Lenny will make just one stop in the UK - Hammersmith Apollo on 27th October with prices starting at £34.50.
The London Coliseum is not as unlikely a venue for an concert as you may first think - they've already performed (and won Artist Of The Decade) at the Classical Brits this year, plus they have a brand new album designated for November release. £55 is the asking price and full details will be released soon.
First stop on the Dead Son Rising tour is Nottingham on 15th September, followed by Bournemouth, Shepherd's Bush, Wolves, Liverpool, Glasgow and finally Leeds. Tickets will be on general sale from Friday at 9am with prices varying from £20 to £25. Demand will be high, we kid you not!
LA rockers have announced a UK date (possibly one of a few) in the shape of the HMV Forum on 14th June - jeepers, that's next month!! You can expect tracks from their new album, "If Not Now, When" and to pay £28.50 for a ticket.
Look out UK - Shaky's coming to town! He sold out a fair chunk of his last UK tour in February so don't be surprised if these new ones sell out quickly as well. As well as performing at Bury St. Edmunds Abbey Gardens in July, he will revisit Glasgow plus new stops in Wolverhampton and Sheffield - tickets are £23.50 and £25.
New album "La Liberacion" is looming on the horizon for the Brazilian outfit, as well as some new UK dates, their first since 2008 (save for a few DJ sets during the following year). Gigs include Brighton, London, Birmingham and Manchester during August - £12.50 to £15.
Death from Above
The noise-rock duo called it a day some 5 years ago but have recently reformed for some huge festival action at Reading and Leeds. In addition, the pair have announced headline dates in Manchester and Brixton in October - tickets are on sale Friday, priced at £17.50/£21.50.
Billed as 'The Final Show', the gig in West London is set to take place on 27th September in response to enormous public demand for the preceding tour date at the same venue (the 16th). Tickets for this big send-off are priced at £18.
"Together We Are Made" is the title of the Brighton-based band's new opus and they'd very much like you to see them on tour during October. Towns include Bournemouth (3rd), Leeds (8th) and Manchester (10th) and tickets cost £16.50.
Now what do you do when you're caught with a sack-load of grass by the feds? You detract attention from your huge fine and unwanted attention by releasing an album called "Rolling Papers", of course! The US rapper is in the UK from 2nd November (Glasgow) to the 11th (Leeds and tickets weigh in at £20 - £21.50.
The up-and-coming stand-up comedian has already been gracing Edinburgh Fringe stages for a good old while, yet hasn't quite broken into the bigger spotlight - yet. He's announced the makings of a bigger tour for the autumn with dates from Brighton (12th Oct) to the Bloomsbury Theatre (6th Dec) - tickets start at £12.50.
When Manchester's post-punk sons last played headlining gigs in the UK, audiences were amazed at just how vital and vociferous Devoto and co are, some thirty years 'after the fact'. They've recently been added to The Hop Farm Festival 2011, which means a quick 45-minute festival warm-up gig in Wolverhampton. The date to remember is 30th June and the ticket price is £16.
will play just three UK dates this year: two as part of V Festival 2011 in Chelmsford and Staffordshire, and the recently-announced Tennent's Vital 2011 festival in Bangor, County Down (Northern Ireland) on 24th August.. Tickets will cost £49.50. Fellow label-mates D12 [D-12] and Slaughterhouse are also over in the UK around the same time.
hasn't been over in the UK for two years - the last time was a sell-out at the Roundhouse in London - just the one date. The rapper from A Tribe Called Quest will this time grace the UK with not one, but two dates: Manchester and London in August. Tickets will cost £25 for Manchester and start from £28.50 for London.
Staying on the Hip Hop tip, but adding a twist of neo-soul, will also play a rare UK date this August at the Hammersmith Apollo. The band were over here last year with RnB singer John Legend, promoting their joint album 'Wake Up!' for just the one London date. It looks like it's just the one London date again, and tickets will cost £35.
Emmy the Great
is due to release her second album 'Virtue', the follow-up to the acclaimed debut album 'First Love' on 13th June. And to tie-in with that, the singer/ songwriter has just announced an autumn tour which starts in London on 17th September.
First stop for her Highlands tour is the Isle of Mull at the Aros Hall, Tobermory on 18th July, followed by remote stops in Stornoway (20th), the Aros Hall in Portree, Skye (21st), Banchory (22nd), Orkney (25th) and finally the city of Inverness on 26th, all priced around £20. Additionally, the previously-postponed Aberdeen date has been rescheduled to 23rd July.
US funk-rock (and occasionally audience-participated improv) band are back in the UK with actor Jackson Rathbone at the helm, armed with a new album entitled "Liquid Zoo". Shows include Manchester (12th Dec), Birmingham (14th) and Islington (15th) - tickets are £10 and £12.
English National Opera
Another new season beckons for the ENO at the London Coliseum, with autumn and winter set to provide plenty of heart-warming productions. Donizetti's "The Elixir of Love" starts the season off on 15th Sep and runs until 8th Oct, followed by other productions including Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro (5th Oct - 10th Nov) and Puccini's Tosca (26th Nov - 29th Jan), as well as rare performances of Rameau's Castor and Pollux (24th Oct - 1st Dec) and Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier (28th Jan - 27th Feb). Prices start at £12.
- Thu 4th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors King George's Hall (Blackburn) Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Tyne Theatre and Opera House (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Winter Gardens (Margate) Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors The Castle (Wellingborough) Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors The Central Theatre (Chatham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2021 The Bluetones O2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Royal Hippodrome Theatre (Eastbourne) Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Royal Hippodrome Theatre (Eastbourne) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2021 The Bluetones O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Pyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Feb 2021 Snoop Dogg, Warren G, Obie Trice, D-12 : I Wanna Thank Me 3arena (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Brierley Hill Civic Hall (Stourbridge) Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Feb 2021 Circus of Horrors Auditorium (Grimsby) Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors The Corn Exchange (King's Lynn) Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors The Hippodrome (Great Yarmouth) Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors The Hippodrome (Great Yarmouth) Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors The Lighthouse (Poole) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Wolverhampton Academy [formerly Starworks] (Wolverhampton) Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Middlesbrough Town Hall/ The Crypt (Middlesbrough) Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Baths Hall (Scunthorpe) Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Bonus Arena (Hull) Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Oval Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Mansfield Palace Theatre (Mansfield) Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors New Theatre [formerly Broadway Theatre] (Peterborough) Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Clapham Grand (Clapham) Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Frome Memorial Theatre (Somerset) Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Brentwood Live (Brentwood) Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Mar 2021 Circus of Horrors Derby Arena (Derby) Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Apr 2021 The Bluetones : Acoustic Jacaranda Records: Phase One (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Apr 2021 The Bluetones The New Adelphi Club (Hull) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Apr 2021 The Feeling The Factory (Barnstaple) Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Apr 2021 Der Rosenkavalier Hippodrome (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th May 2021 Mark Morriss, Nigel Clark [dodgy], The Bluetones, Dodgy Water Rats (Kings Cross) Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jun 2021 Rumer Birmingham Town Hall (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jun 2021 DJ Craig Charles, Go West, Ministry of Sound - The Annual Classical, Republica, Space, The Feeling, 5ive Newark County Showground (Newark) Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jun 2021 Rumer The Queen's Hall (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st Jun 2021 Rumer Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jun 2021 Rumer Queen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth) Buy Tickets