Fat Friday 3rd June 2011: PJ Harvey, Rumer, Jessie J, Lenny Kravitz, Il Divo, CSS, Death From Above 1979 and more
New tickets this week certainly have an element of 'girl power' about them, with PJ Harvey and Rumer leading the way at the top of the pile. But the boys aren't so far behind - a mixture of easy-classical from Il Divo, dread-swingin' funk-rock from Lenny Kravitz and the evergreen techno-darkwave world of Gary Numan should balance out the battle of the sexes. If not, we'll banish you to the next Circus of Horrors rehearsal programme - or maybe just one of their shows instead...
In addition to her upcoming festival performances at the Electric Picnic (Ireland) and Bestival (Isle Of Wight), PJ Harvey has announced two shows for two big cities. Glasgow's Concert Hall (4th September) and Manchester's Apollo (8th) will be priced at around £30.
Rather than taking life "Slow" these days, the velvet-tonsilled singer is heading out on tour later in the autumn, calling at Blackpool (10th November), Sheffield (12th) and several more until a huge date at the Royal Albert Hall on the 22nd (her second in 6 months - she's playing at the John Barry Memorial Concert in July). Tickets are priced at £19.50 - £25.
It looks like the 'Sound of 2011' is feeling a little guilty at hogging the 'yoof' festival circuit this year - she's announced a string of UK dates in October. First stop is Birmingham on the 17th, followed by various stops including Doncaster, Plymouth and the closing gig in Brighton on 3rd November. £23.50 - £25.
As previously reported, Kravitz will the live arena and album schedules with the Black and White project, which includes an extensive European tour. Lenny will make just one stop in the UK - Hammersmith Apollo on 27th October with prices starting at £34.50.
The London Coliseum is not as unlikely a venue for an Il Divo concert as you may first think - they've already performed (and won Artist Of The Decade) at the Classical Brits this year, plus they have a brand new album designated for November release. £55 is the asking price and full details will be released soon.
First stop on the Dead Son Rising tour is Nottingham on 15th September, followed by Bournemouth, Shepherd's Bush, Wolves, Liverpool, Glasgow and finally Leeds. Tickets will be on general sale from Friday at 9am with prices varying from £20 to £25. Demand will be high, we kid you not!
LA rockers Incubus have announced a UK date (possibly one of a few) in the shape of the HMV Forum on 14th June - jeepers, that's next month!! You can expect tracks from their new album, "If Not Now, When" and to pay £28.50 for a ticket.
Look out UK - Shaky's coming to town! He sold out a fair chunk of his last UK tour in February so don't be surprised if these new ones sell out quickly as well. As well as performing at Bury St. Edmunds Abbey Gardens in July, he will revisit Glasgow plus new stops in Wolverhampton and Sheffield - tickets are £23.50 and £25.
New album "La Liberacion" is looming on the horizon for the Brazilian outfit, as well as some new UK dates, their first since 2008 (save for a few DJ sets during the following year). Gigs include Brighton, London, Birmingham and Manchester during August - £12.50 to £15.
Death from Above 1979
The noise-rock duo called it a day some 5 years ago but have recently reformed for some huge festival action at Reading and Leeds. In addition, the pair have announced headline dates in Manchester and Brixton in October - tickets are on sale Friday, priced at £17.50/£21.50.
Billed as 'The Final Show', the gig in West London is set to take place on 27th September in response to enormous public demand for the preceding tour date at the same venue (the 16th). Tickets for this big send-off are priced at £18.
"Together We Are Made" is the title of the Brighton-based band's new opus and they'd very much like you to see them on tour during October. Towns include Bournemouth (3rd), Leeds (8th) and Manchester (10th) and tickets cost £16.50.
Now what do you do when you're caught with a sack-load of grass by the feds? You detract attention from your huge fine and unwanted attention by releasing an album called "Rolling Papers", of course! The US rapper is in the UK from 2nd November (Glasgow) to the 11th (Leeds and tickets weigh in at £20 - £21.50.
The up-and-coming stand-up comedian has already been gracing Edinburgh Fringe stages for a good old while, yet hasn't quite broken into the bigger spotlight - yet. He's announced the makings of a bigger tour for the autumn with dates from Brighton (12th Oct) to the Bloomsbury Theatre (6th Dec) - tickets start at £12.50.
When Manchester's post-punk sons Magazine last played headlining gigs in the UK, audiences were amazed at just how vital and vociferous Devoto and co are, some thirty years 'after the fact'. They've recently been added to The Hop Farm Festival 2011, which means a quick 45-minute festival warm-up gig in Wolverhampton. The date to remember is 30th June and the ticket price is £16.
Eminem will play just three UK dates this year: two as part of V Festival 2011 in Chelmsford and Staffordshire, and the recently-announced Tennent's Vital 2011 festival in Bangor, County Down (Northern Ireland) on 24th August.. Tickets will cost £49.50. Fellow label-mates D12 [D-12] and Slaughterhouse are also over in the UK around the same time.
Q-Tip hasn't been over in the UK for two years - the last time was a sell-out at the Roundhouse in London - just the one date. The rapper from A Tribe Called Quest will this time grace the UK with not one, but two dates: Manchester and London in August. Tickets will cost £25 for Manchester and start from £28.50 for London.
Staying on the Hip Hop tip, but adding a twist of neo-soul, The Roots will also play a rare UK date this August at the Hammersmith Apollo. The band were over here last year with RnB singer John Legend, promoting their joint album 'Wake Up!' for just the one London date. It looks like it's just the one London date again, and tickets will cost £35.
Emmy the Great
Emmy the Great is due to release her second album 'Virtue', the follow-up to the acclaimed debut album 'First Love' on 13th June. And to tie-in with that, the singer/ songwriter has just announced an autumn tour which starts in London on 17th September.
First stop for her Highlands tour is the Isle of Mull at the Aros Hall, Tobermory on 18th July, followed by remote stops in Stornoway (20th), the Aros Hall in Portree, Skye (21st), Banchory (22nd), Orkney (25th) and finally the city of Inverness on 26th, all priced around £20. Additionally, the previously-postponed Aberdeen date has been rescheduled to 23rd July.
US funk-rock (and occasionally audience-participated improv) band are back in the UK with actor Jackson Rathbone at the helm, armed with a new album entitled "Liquid Zoo". Shows include Manchester (12th Dec), Birmingham (14th) and Islington (15th) - tickets are £10 and £12.
English National Opera
English National Opera [ENO]
Another new season beckons for the ENO at the London Coliseum, with autumn and winter set to provide plenty of heart-warming productions. Donizetti's "The Elixir of Love" starts the season off on 15th Sep and runs until 8th Oct, followed by other productions including Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro (5th Oct - 10th Nov) and Puccini's Tosca (26th Nov - 29th Jan), as well as rare performances of Rameau's Castor and Pollux (24th Oct - 1st Dec) and Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier (28th Jan - 27th Feb). Prices start at £12.
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Tue 13th Nov 2018 Circus of HorrorsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 18th Mar 2018 ToscaBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Sara Pascoe, John Kearns, Joe WilkinsonBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 Stand Up For Shelter, Shappi Khorsandi, Paul Chowdhry, Mo Gi...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 Welsh National Opera, ToscaHippodrome (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 to Thu 29th Mar 2018 Gary Numan: Savage Tour Part 2Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 Death from Above 1979Tivoli Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 and Thu 22nd Mar 2018 La Traviata, English National OperaBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 to Mon 4th Jun 2018 The Marriage of FigaroBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Sun 1st Jul 2018 Lenny Kravitz: Raise VibrationBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 TRNSMT, Stereophonics, The Script, James Bay, Kodaline, Jess...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 Il Divo: Castles and CountryBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 and Sun 15th Jul 2018 EminemBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Il Divo, Martine McCutcheonLytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Paul Weller, The StrypesBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Icons of the 80s: Go West, Nik Kershaw, Cutting CrewBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 John Robins: The Darkness of RobinsBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Daliso ChapondaBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Bobby MairBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Alien Ant FarmRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 KhalidO2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Sasha: Refracted: LiveThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 The GodfathersBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Davido: 30 BillionO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 Stephen Bailey: Can't Think StraightBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Mon 19th Feb 2018 Geoff NorcottBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Gun OutfitBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Tue 20th Feb 2018 British Sea PowerBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Mon 19th Feb 2018 John Cooper ClarkeMore Info..
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Willy MasonBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Andrew Bird [comedian], Leicester Comedy FestivalHalli Vegetarian Restaurant/ Kayal (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 The XcertsBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 King 810Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 PeaceOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 KelelaBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Stuart Mitchell, Leicester Comedy FestivalHalli Vegetarian Restaurant/ Kayal (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Dream StateBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Gandeys CircusBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 RedFacesBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Adam HessBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Circus WonderlandBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Barnum, Marcus BrigstockeBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Tue 20th Feb 2018 BilalBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Stand-up/ Comedy NightBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Circus ExtremeBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Paul ChowdhryBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Sunset BoulevardBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlindersBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Paul DraperBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Jake BuggBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Dead!Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Franz Ferdinand: Always AscendingBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Don BrocoBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Rodney P, Skitz, Harry Shotta, Children of ZeusJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Martin CarrBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Hamell On TrialThe Caroline of Brunswick (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 BRITs Week: Ed Sheeran, War ChildIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Remake RemodelBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Joe Lycett: I'm About To Lose Control And I Think Joe LycettBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 and Sat 24th Feb 2018 The UnderachieversBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 Kendrick LamarWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 Son LuxScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Cirque BerserkBuy Tickets