Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2011 round-up - got your diary handy?
Every August, as the Fringe hits Edinburgh (alongside the 'full' Edinburgh Festival), anyone who's anyone in stand-up comedy, cabaret, theatre and spoken word will be gravitating once more to Auld Reekie for a month of laughs and hangovers.
Whether you're a fan of new talent, established performers or, for some reason, desperately want to work in entertainment PR, then the Scottish capital really is the place to be this summer (and every summer). There'll be the daring, the silly, the hilarious, the reassuringly brilliant and the downright awful.
But not here - we've handpicked some top shows that will not disappoint, we guarantee* it! (*not a real guarantee).
All tickets are exclusive of booking fees.
From 3rd to 9th August, Ed Byrne will be talking about all the things that are turning him into a 'grumpy old man' in his show, 'Crowd Pleaser'. Familiar ground for the stand-up comic but Ed Byrne is no ordinary comedian. Nominated for a Perrier Award in 1998, Byrne is one of Ireland's most successful comic exports, finding audiences all over the world. Tickets start at £15.50.
Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer
Banjolele-playing comedian and gentleman rapper Mr B has made his name at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in recent years and will be returning in 2011. His near month-long residency of his show 'How I Invented Hip Hop and Other Faux Pas' at the city's Voodoo Rooms starts on 3rd August. Tickets are £7 on the 3rd and 4th August, £10 from the 5th.
It has been 20 years since Herring first made his mark writing for radio with Chris Morris. Two decades on, his CV boasts books, plays, numerous writing credits, dozens of TV appearances (including his own show) and wildly popular stand-up shows. Herring is a veteran of Edinburgh and has been a regular since 1987. This year he returns with his show, 'What is Love Anyway?' from 4th to 28th August at the Cow Barn 'Udderbelly' in Bistro Square. Tickets are £12.50 and £14.50.
Lee Evans is one of the giants of British stand-up, a status reflected in the fact that he's doing just three dates at this year's Fringe. He'll be playing the Playhouse from 8th to 10th August and these will be among the hottest of the hot tickets in town. Evans made his name at Edinburgh, winning the 1993 Perrier Comedy Award and he hasn't looked back. Eighteen years later, he's as popular as ever. Tickets are £31.
The talkSPORT presenter and BBC 6Music regular is returning to the city where he made the semi-final of the 'So You Think You're Funny?' competition in 2002. From the 3rd to 28th August, Matt Forde will be bringing his 'Dishonourable Member' show to Wee Coo (Underbelly). Tickets start at a recession-busting £6 (yes, we know the recession is technically over - no need to write in).
In 2010, comedian-cum-activist Mark Thomas embarked on an audacious 'ramble' in the Middle East, walking the entire length of the separation barrier between Israeli and Palestinian territories. Thomas' latest show - and book - recount this 750km walk under the title, 'Extreme Rambling - Walking the Wall'. Mark Thomas will be rambling about rambling at the Bongo Club from 8th to 20th August. Tickets are £14.50.
Former Big Brother presenter and now an incredibly hard-working stand-up, Jack Whitehall - still only 22 - is bringing his latest show, 'Let's Not Speak of This Again', back to the city where he was nominated for Best Newcomer in 2009. Jack will be at Venue 150 (at the EICC) from 18th to 27th August.
Elsewhere, Jason Byrne will be bringing his 'Cirque du Byrne' show to Venue 150 (3rd - 14th), Naz Osmanoglu's show at Wee Coo (3rd - 28th) will be '1000 Per Cent Awesome' while Abi Roberts 'Takes You Up the Aisle' (cheeky)at the Voodoo Rooms (3rd - to 27th). This is just the tip of the iceberg mind, so keep 'em peeled.
You may be interested in
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Ed Byrne, Nina Conti, Ivo Graham,...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Richard HerringLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingColchester Arts Centre (Colchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Jason ByrneBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingCity Varieties Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneDrill Hall (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneHazlitt Theatre (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneThe Wyvern Theatre (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Jason ByrnePlayhouse (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingHarrogate Theatre (Harrogate)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneThe Ramada Plaza Hotel (Southport)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingBrewery Arts Centre (Kendal)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneWilliam Aston Hall - Glyndwr University [NEWI] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Core Theatre at the Corby Cube (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Stand Comedy Club (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingGala Theatre (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Jason ByrneAlhambra Theatre (Dunfermline)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Stand Comedy Club (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingPavilion Theatre (Exmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Jason ByrneThe Pump Room (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Lawrence Batley Theatre (Huddersfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Mark ThomasArcola Theatre (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingGrand Theatre (Lancaster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingCity Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingArc (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Jason ByrneThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Jason Byrne: You Can Come In, but Don't Start AnythingThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Mr B The Gentleman RhymerThe Library/ Lending Room (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Mr B The Gentleman RhymerThe Exchange (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 and Thu 20th Dec 2018 Matt FordeLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 Jason ByrneINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Jason ByrneBlack Box Theatre (Galway)Buy Tickets