Derren Brown extends Svengali tour into 2012!
The trick is to preview Derren Brown's Svengali tour without using any terrible magician puns. Actually, that shouldn't be too difficult since the 40-year-old hypnotist and illusionist from South London maintains that he is not a magician and is, in fact, an arch-sceptic who seeks to demonstrate only the power of the mind, misdirection and suggestion.
Having started to conjure and do close-up sleight of hand work while at university (in Bristol), Brown's career took off in 1999 when Channel 4 commissioned Derren Brown Mind Control. With the questionable mystic powers of US illusionist David Blaine starting to wear thin, Brown's skills, and particularly his theme that he was not a magician, found an audience.
Numerous TV specials and further series, such as 2003's Russian Roulette Live, cemented the charismatic performer in the nation's subconscious. His repeated assertion that his illusions were the result of mere misdirection and an acute understanding of the workings of the human mind - rather than borne of any mystical or paranormal power - were continually reinforced with televised evidence and the testimony of apparently unwitting bystanders.
But every now and then, he'd throw in a stunt so audacious and unbelievable that it defied any logical explanation whatsoever. Yet we know he doesn't cheat, so...
Misdirection you see. He has never said he never cheats, we just believe he doesn't because he infers as much so very frequently. And this is Brown's 'x factor' - he makes viewers believe that he is nothing special and yet delivers stunts so incredible that the only logical conclusion is that he has magical powers.
If you want a closer look at Derren Brown, then you may get your chance following news that he has announced a series of UK dates for his Svengali tour.
May 2011 dates in Birmingham are sold out but there are a handful of tickets remaining for Northampton and Plymouth (May), Bristol and Bournemouth (June). Brown is doing six shows a week at London's Shaftesbury Theatre from 8th June to 16th July and tickets are available now for a number of these performances.
The 2012 dates begin in February at Leeds Grand Theatre (five shows), before runs at Milton Keynes, The Lowry (Salford), Southampton and Torquay. Tickets are on sale now, starting at around £30.
Please note that show is not suitable for children under 12.
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 Derren BrownTheatre Royal (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Derren BrownTheatre Royal (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Derren BrownTheatre Royal (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Derren BrownTheatre Royal (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Derren BrownTheatre Royal (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 Derren BrownPavilion Theatre (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 Derren BrownPavilion Theatre (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Jun 2018 Derren BrownPavilion Theatre (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 28th Dec 2018 The Gentleman Cheater Magic ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 High JinxBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Thu 31st May 2018 The Magic HourBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 and Sat 6th Oct 2018 Britain's Got MagicBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 Mark JamesBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 The Magic CircleBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Javier Jarquin - Card NinjaThe Belly (Waterloo)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Morgan and West's Utterly Spiffing Spectacular Magic Show Fo...Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Dr. Jordan Peterson3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Ghost StoriesThe Leper Chapel (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 The Magic CavernBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Pete FirmanBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Jamie RavenTyne Theatre and Opera House (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets