Southern (and Northern) nights lie in wait for Glen Campbell - 2011 UK tour just announced
Last year we reported on Campbell's super UK tour (I'm sure there's a gag in that sentence), and now the great man is back, no doubt buoyed by the fact he sold-out several of the regional shows. For 2011, the shiny-shirted country and pop legend will undertake a tour with a few new destinations - great news for the legions of his UK fans!
The Salford Lowry is the first stop on 21st October, followed by the Royal Festival Hall on the following night and Cardiff follows on the 23rd. By the time he gets to Birmingham (I've been dying to use that Campbell reference), it'll be 6th December. New stops this time round include Basingstoke and Plymouth and all but Cardiff are on sale now - prices vary from £27.50 to £42.50.
Glen Campbell's impressive catalogue of classic country includes "Southern Nights", "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Wichita Lineman", as well as a bit of pizzazz and the occasional sparkly shirt (he must use Neil Diamond's tailor). His credibility was ramped up a few levels in 2008 when he issued the album, "Meet Glen Campbell", a selection of his cover versions of U2, Green Day, Foo Fighters and Tom Petty, amongst others.
Update: Glen diagnosed with Alzheimer's - tour still going ahead
Subsequent to us having posted this news item, it has been revealed that Glen has Alzheimer's disease. Glen and his wife Kim chose to go public so that fans are aware of his condition during the shows - which will be his last tour.
Speaking about Glen, Kim had this to say:
Glen is still an awesome guitar player and singer, but if he flubs a lyric or gets confused on stage, I wouldn't want people to think, 'What's the matter with him? Is he drunk?'
On tour, Glen will be supported by his two daughters and his son's band, playing his many hits and presumably a few numbers from his final studio album 'Ghost on the Canvas', released on 29th August via Surfdog Records.
"I still love making music," says Campbell. "And I still love performing for my fans. I'd like to thank them for sticking with me through thick and thin."
We would like to wish Glen and his family all the best for a great tour and for the future.
You may be interested in
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Fri 3rd May 2019 Leo Sayer: Just a Boy at 70Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 and Sat 25th Aug 2018 The Elvis SpectacularBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Thu 20th Dec 2018 Suspiciously ElvisBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 Gordon GiltrapBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Dr Hook: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Brian Wilson: Greatest HitsBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Edinburgh Summer Sessions, Brian WilsonPlayhouse (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 to Fri 24th Aug 2018 Haley HeynderickxBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sat 1st Sep 2018 The ShiresBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanLittle Civic/ Slade Rooms (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 and Sat 1st Sep 2018 Texas, Imelda May, Skyline SeriesBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 and Thu 27th Sep 2018 Jim GhediBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 to Fri 21st Sep 2018 Lisa McHughBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 to Thu 13th Sep 2018 Clare BowenBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 Lee Ann Womack, Charlie WorshamBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 The Long Road FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 to Fri 18th Jan 2019 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 and Sun 9th Sep 2018 HRH C.R.O.W.SBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 to Sun 30th Dec 2018 Nathan CarterBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 Nathan Carter, Houghton WeaversThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 ElvanaBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 to Sun 6th Oct 2019 Rob Kingsley - A Vision Of ElvisBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Sep 2018 to Fri 21st Sep 2018 Andy McKeeBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Sep 2018 to Wed 3rd Oct 2018 Shania TwainBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Lee 'Memphis' KingBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 and Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Frankly SinatraBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Gilbert O'SullivanCottier's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sat 25th May 2019 Shawn Klush - The Worlds Greatest ElvisBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Ralph McTellBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Martin Carthy, John KirkpatrickCutty Sark (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Fri 4th Oct 2019 The Elvis YearsBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Climax Blues BandThe Raven Hotel (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Oct 2018 to Thu 18th Oct 2018 Warner E HodgesBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Oct 2018 to Thu 18th Oct 2018 Ry CooderBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 Darius RuckerBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Skinny Molly, Lynyrd SkynyrdRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 BluesFest, John Fogerty, Steve Miller BandThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets