Wild Beasts - November 2011 dates on sale Friday 13th May
"The Wild Beasts are calling on their way back from the fire." OK, that's almost the opening line to Duran Duran's Wild BOYS but the Wild Beasts do seem to be, er, calling. [and you are speculating that they are responsible for the recent spate of forest fires? - Ed].
Ever since forming in Kendal, Cumbria in 2002 (as Fauve), Wild Beasts have pulled off the trick of critical acclaim, industry accolade and airplay appeal. And they have built a stout and loyal following.
Debut album 'Limbo Panto' was released in 2008 but it was 2009's 'Two Dancers' that set the industry alight (fire, see). Two Dancers was nominated for the 2010 Mercury Music Prize and collected album-of-the-year type nods from the NME, The Guardian, Q and The Sunday Times.
Wild Beasts had relocated to Leeds in 2005, released a couple of EPs, 'Esprit de Corps' and 'All Men', and were soon recording a session for Marc Riley's 6Music show. A contract with Domino Records followed and, as a wider audience was exposed to Hayden Thorpe's distinctive operatic vocal stylings, at least as accomplished as the widely lauded Anthony Hegarty (and his Johnsons), momentum built.
Albums are all-too-often billed as 'eagerly awaited', a label which can denigrate the sense of anticipation surrounding records that create genuine excitement. But 'Smother', the third record from Wild Beasts, really has been eagerly awaited (it was released on 9th May). The band claims that the move to London from Leeds has brought a synth influence to their music and the initial response to Smother is enthusiastic. Calling it an album of 'extraordinary beauty', The Guardian said: "Smother isn't conventional chart material, but will make their burgeoning cult impossible to ignore".
Following the release, seven dates have been announced for November with more likely to follow. The first is at the O2 Academy in Oxford on Friday 11th, moving on to Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton, London and Cambridge, and finishing in Brighton on 26th November. Tickets are on sale Friday 13th May at 9AM, starting at £13 + fees (£15 for London and Manchester).
Tickets for their impending London dates have long-since sold out, but there are a handful of tickets available for their 13th May Gloucester gig (£13.50).
The Wild Beasts are calling. Told you.
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Paul Weller, The StrypesBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Hell is for Heroes, 'A', Vex Red: The Neon HandshakeBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlindersBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Fri 16th Mar 2018 StereophonicsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Thu 8th Mar 2018 Paul DraperBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 David Devant & his Spirit Wife100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 Brian Fallon, Dave HauseBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Franz Ferdinand: Always AscendingBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 Fizzy BloodBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Mar 2018 The XcertsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Sam FenderBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Dream StateBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 The GodfathersBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sat 24th Feb 2018 RedFacesBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Mar 2018 Imagine DragonsBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 Elbow3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 The Boxer RebellionBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Mint FieldBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Arcane RootsBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Lee RanaldoHoxton Square Bar and Kitchen (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Spinning CoinBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Mar 2018 AmplifierBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 YonakaThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 RewsBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 Gaz CoombesStudent Central [ULU] (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 All We AreBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 No Hot Ashes [Manchester]Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Thu 29th Mar 2018 Shit Indie Disco ThursdaysBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Wed 7th Mar 2018 Elbow, John GrantBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 Stereophonics, Ten TonnesBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Howie PayneSt Mary's Centre (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 FeederBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Mark MorrissThe Leopard (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Hookworms and Friends: Hookworms, Martha, Ulrika Spacek, Bilge PumpBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 CohesionKolis (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Editors: ViolenceBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 SuperorganismBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 Therapy?The Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 The Stranglers, Therapy?Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Tue 27th Mar 2018 Belle and SebastianBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Rainbow Kitten SurpriseDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Tue 13th Mar 2018 The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to ...Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 to Fri 30th Mar 2018 The WhollsBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 GNODSoup Kitchen (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 King CreosoteBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Tue 13th Mar 2018 At the Drive-In, Death from Above, Le ButcherettesBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Sun 11th Mar 2018 PinegroveBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 The Hold SteadyBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 TurbowolfBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 Ulrich SchnaussThe Blue Orange Theatre (Birmingham)Buy Tickets