Joseph Arthur announces May 2011 UK tour
Ohio-born Joseph Arthur has enjoyed intermittent critical and commercial success since his emergence in the late nineties, when he was the first US act to be signed to Peter Gabriel's record label.
Despite, on occasion, being dropped by one label to be picked up by another or releasing singles to a reluctant public in the wake of considerable critical acclaim, Joseph Arthur's talent has endured.
And there have been many highs. He has recorded seven studio albums either as a solo performer or with The Lonely Astronauts and he has toured with the likes of REM and Tracy Chapman. Perhaps his most famous song, 'In the Sun', was covered by Michael Stipe and Chris Martin for the hurricane Katrina relief appeal and his music has earned screen credits in The OC, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, True Blood, Dawson's Creek and House, among others.
Those credits, mostly for 'In the Sun' and 'Honey and the Moon', sum up Arthur's place in American popular culture pretty neatly. His undoubted singer/songwriter talents lean towards folky Americana and a quick blast of any of his most popular tracks is enough to evoke images of JD in Scrubs or the one with the big face in Dawson's Creek.
A warm vocal, a new world romanticism and an infectious hook may be exactly how baby-boomer America likes to see itself, which perhaps explains why Joseph Arthur's strains and refrains have found fond allies in the halls of HBO, ABC and Fox.
But don't let all this talk of Americana put you off - it's good stuff. If you want proof, Arthur is bringing his talent to these shores in May with four dates, beginning at Manchester's Band on the Wall on Monday 2nd May. He'll be at The Louisiana in Bristol the following night, then the Brighton Ballroom before closing the mini-tour at London's Bush Hall on Thursday 5th May.
His reputation as a live performer goes before him; sampling, looping and improvising his way through one-off sets that have seen him win legions of fans. And with a new record due in 2011, it's seems as good a time as any to find out what Joseph Arthur is all about.
Tickets are on sale now, costing £15 for London, £12.50 for Manchester and just £11 for Brighton and Bristol.
You may be interested in
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Elvis Costello, The Waterboys, Nick LoweBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Tue 3rd Jul 2018 Rufus WainwrightBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Robert Smith: CureationRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Thu 20th Dec 2018 OrbitalBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Pharoah Sanders, Leve...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Jul 2018 Mouth of the Tyne Festival, Josh RouseTynemouth Surf Cafe (North Shields)More Info..
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 Josh RouseBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Mon 30th Jul 2018 Natalie MerchantBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 and Wed 15th Aug 2018 Joan as PolicewomanBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 to Sun 19th Aug 2018 Green Man FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 The Downs, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Paul Weller, ...The Downs (Clifton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Shiiine On, Orbital, Shed Seven, Happy Mondays, Embrace, Gla...Genting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 and Sat 10th Nov 2018 Bruce CockburnBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets