BBC pulls the plug on the Electric Proms - "too costly" says broadcaster
You know that times are hard when the BBC decides to call time on a successful season of concerts, but they've done just that with the Electric Proms. After totting-up what's left in the kitty, organizers have cited "financial considerations" as the reason to switch it off [that's enough puns - Ed].
The first Prom started in 2006 and has since featured some of the huge names in pop and rock, including Shirley Bassey, Paul McCartney, Oasis, Neil Diamond, Elton John, Robbie Williams, Editors, Keane and, er, Razorlight - an enviable line-up if big names are your game.
The Roundhouse was chosen as the key venue in recent years, although KOKO, Jazz Cafe and Dingwalls have all hosted branded concerts as well. At least the iTunes Festival and Camden Crawl will keep the local venues buzzing - meanwhile, it remains to be seen which music season or festival will be chopped next during these hard times.
Perhaps they could have formed a Proms 'coalition', fusing the displaced rock and pop legends with a good dose of riff-laden Mahler or Stravinsky at the Royal Albert Hall later in the summer. Hmmm... then again... if the Proms themselves close down, we may as well turn the lights off, eat another slice of dry bread and watch the hyper-expensive salaries of TV presenters justify themselves instead.
You may be interested in
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 Editors: ViolenceBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 Editors: ViolenceManchester Cathedral (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Editors: ViolenceClapham Grand (Clapham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, ...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Ocean Colour Scene, Embrace, Razorlight, Cas...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell Tour3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets