Jeff Beck honouring Les Paul with CD & DVD release on 21st Feb 2011
Posted: 27th January 2011
Jeff Beck paid fitting Tribute to Les Paul last summer, celebrating what would have been the pioneering guitarist's 95th birthday by playing his friend and mentor's music, along with classic tunes from the era, in the same Times Square nightclub that Paul played every Monday for 14 years before his death in August 2009.
Sponsored by Gibson Guitar and billed as "A Celebration of Les Paul," Beck was joined by The
Imelda May Band at the Iridium Jazz Club in June 2010. Other guest performers joining Beck onstage included Brian Setzer, Gary "U.S." Bonds, and Trombone Shorty.
"Les was my inspiration," says Beck. "For years I had always wanted to do something for Les to show him how much I respected and admired what he had done. Les used to play every week at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York City, so for me it was the obvious and fitting place for a 'Salute' to him."
ATCO via Rhino Records UK will be offering a CD titled "Rock 'n' Roll Party (Honoring Les Paul)" of this exclusive show, featuring 20 live tracks from the evening, on February 21st.
Eagle Rock Entertainment will offer the Blu-Ray and DVD of this special one off show also on February 21st. They will include seven extra live performances as well as bonus footage and interviews.
Following these releases, Beck will take the "Rock 'n' Roll Party" on the road for a short U.S. tour. Beck will once again be backed by The Imelda May Band and its enchanting singer Imelda May, who joined Beck on stage at the 2010 Grammy® Awards for a spot-on rendition of Paul's "How High The Moon." Tickets are on sale now in select markets, check local listings.
Earlier this month, Beck's latest album Emotion & Commotion was nominated for five Grammy® awards including Best Rock Album, Best Rock Instrumental Performance ("Hammerhead"), Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals ("I Put A Spell On You" with Joss Stone), Best Pop Instrumental performance ("Nessun Dorma"), and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical (for Steve Lipson). Beck is also nominated in the Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals category for "Imagine," his collaboration with Herbie Hancock, Pink, India.Arie, Seal, Konono No 1 & Oumou Sangare.
This marks the most nominations ever for Beck in a single year and makes him the most nominated artist in the Rock field in addition to being the most nominated British artist for this year's awards. Beck has previously won five Grammy awards.
- Sun 17th May 2020 Jeff Beck The Armadillo (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th May 2020 Jeff Beck Symphony Hall (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th May 2020 Jeff Beck Barbican Centre (York) Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st May 2020 Jeff Beck The Sage (Gateshead) Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2020 Jeff Beck O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2020 Jeff Beck City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Oval Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th May 2020 Jeff Beck St David's Hall (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th May 2020 Jeff Beck Royal Albert Hall (Kensington) Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th May 2020 Jeff Beck Royal Albert Hall (Kensington) Buy Tickets