Halloween 2010 Music Events - tricks, treats and ghostly gigs in clubland
Once again bars, clubs and venues will be trying to lure punters in at the end of October by slapping the word 'Halloween' onto flyers and posters - and why not? Your local nightclub or pub will be hosting the usual spooky fancy-dress 'fun night' (we've a few in our full listings - see below), but maybe you fancy something a bit more organized, such as a big-name DJ, a top-notch band or just an array of musical ghoulishness (but not Olly Murs, we're not that cruel). We start with a few interesting club-nights, followed by a couple of unusual gigs.
Neon Noise Project
Secret meeting places are all the rage with London hipsters and two events worthy of attention include this one with Neon Noise Project and Digitalism at the Hearn Street Car Park venue (not really that 'secret', just tucked away), hosting yet another 'fight-night special' on the 30th - £14-£16.50. The second night really is 'secret' and features the masked kings of rave, Altern 8 giving it large in an East London warehouse. Watch yer bassbins etc.. It's £8 for this Saturday night event.
The renowned DJ will appear at SW9's Dex Club alongside Eskimo Twins for a sure-to-sell-out evening called 'Slide's 80s Halloween'. There are plenty of other DJs lined up throughout the night, but the main attraction is the cool Justin Robertson. Tickets are just £8.
A heavy bass-frenzy is promised at Brixton's popular Plan B club on the 29th with dubstep icons Loefah and Darkstar performing DJ and live sets from 10pm onwards. Tickets are just £6 for a piece of South London's finest.
The arty venue Proud will be taken over on Halloween itself by the Criminal Records club-night experience with a difference, featuring crazy decorations, characters and prizes for the best costumes. The classic-titled snuff-horror film "Big Tits Zombie" will be shown, there will be a gaming zone, a tarot and spells room plus of course a load of music from numerous acts including Capelle. Tickets are only £5. Dress To Kill!
Circo Loco [Circoloco]
The famous Manchester club has an exclusive appearance from Circo Loco on the 30th, backed up a further clutch of DJing talent. The night is called Alloween 4 and costs £12 admission. Funky house DJ support comes in the form of Matthias Tanzmann.
Not far from Sankeys is Sound Control which is running its own Audio Farm Halloween evening the night before (Friday) with main-man Pete Heller at the controls giving every one the 'Farmival' experience, as well as an Oxfam dressing-up area, a cinema, tech-house and Cocoon-pioneer Jamie Anderson and, er, a human-sized rabbit-warren. Tickets are from £5.
For things a little bit Slinky with a capital 'S' then head to Bournemouth's aptly named club and venue for the Slinky Halloween Ball. Big-name DJs include the enigmatic Mr Jules along with Simon Patterson and a good dose of Bang Bang, a full on set of mash-up and dubstep plus plenty of top DJs across two packed rooms. £15 admission for the Saturday event.
Staying with Manchester and it's over to the Ruby Lounge for an altogether more organic (and heavy) experience. Yes, clubbing isn't all about wiggling your ass and pulling sweaty faces - it's all about 'custard wrestling' - yep, you read right. Caged Asylum is a rock and metal club with a difference and their Halloween night is no exception. A 40K system will blast out the sounds while you witness (or join in) the 'wildest Caged craze yet', physically romping around in a vat of Bird's (the custard). They've also got sumo wrestling and mechanical rodeo bull lined up - I mean, what's wrong with a Boddy's and a scotch-egg for gawd's sake? £5 to get in.
The Puppini Sisters
You know the deal with Puppini Sisters by now - glorious 40s and 50s harmonies given a sassy twist by three lovelies - so how's about getting right in the swing with this excellent 'Vaudeville Rave and Halloween Ball' in Oxford? Taking place on the 23rd (Ok it's not quite Halloween but a great way to celebrate it early), the Puppinis are joined by a trio of truly worthy acts all paying homage to post-War Britain, adding their own humorous twist. Mr B The Gentleman Rapper, swing-turntablists The Correspondents and creators of 'swing-hop' and 'swing n bass', Dutty Moonshine. Tickets are £15.
Halloween wouldn't Halloween without the Horrors and the band have a DJ set and full-on fancy-dress party night on the 30th all ready for you at Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes in Russell Square, London. Apart from the obvious ten-pin action, the boys will play you a classic set of spooky tunes with scary face painting, popcorn, horror-films, table football, hula-hooping and the electro trio Luxury Living. Tickets are £5/£7.
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 The CorrespondentsSubscription Rooms (Stroud)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 The CorrespondentsJamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Judge JulesMole's Club (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Erick Morillo, Example - DJ Set, Faithless Sound System, Pau...Tower Festival Headland (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Citadel Festival, Tame Impala, CHVRCHES, Leon Bridges, Fat W...Gunnersbury Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, Bryan Ferry, Goldfrapp, The Horrors, Gaz Co...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 The Correspondents, A.SkillzThe Hub/ dBs Live (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Shades of Rhythm, K-Klass, Alison Limerick, Sonique, Judge J...Starworks Warehouse (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Suede, The HorrorsEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 The CorrespondentsThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Mr B The Gentleman RhymerThe Exchange (Bristol)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 Foo Fighters, Wolf Alice, The CribsEtihad Stadium [City of Manchester] (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 and Wed 20th Jun 2018 BellyBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Sat 7th Jul 2018 SpankedBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Manic Street Preachers, The AnchoressRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 StarcrawlerBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 and Wed 20th Jun 2018 Her Name Is CallaBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 TaskForce, Dr Syntax, Pete CannonJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 J.I.DO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 and Wed 20th Jun 2018 The Church [Aus]Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 and Tue 26th Jun 2018 Toddla T, Ibiza RocksBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Tue 3rd Jul 2018 Dimitri Vegas and Like MikeBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 The SubwaysThe Bullingdon/ Haven (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 Death Cab for Cutie, PAWSScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, DeftonesRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 J.I.D, EarthGangRebellion (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 1000mods, MountainsUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 to Tue 26th Jun 2018 John MurryBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 to Wed 4th Jul 2018 Cocoon IbizaBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 KasabianO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Sun 24th Jun 2018 Isle of Wight FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Belsonic, Timmy TrumpetOrmeau Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Mogwai, Kathryn JosephRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Kristin HershQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 London Astrobeat OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 EarthGangO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Gaz CoombesBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Thu 28th Jun 2018 Garage NationBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Thu 5th Jul 2018 F*** Me I'm FamousBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Thu 28th Jun 2018 It's Like A Jungle SometimesBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Fri 22nd Jun 2018 THECITYISOURSBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 GoatBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Timmy TrumpetThe Telegraph Building (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Foo Fighters, Wolf Alice, Frank CarterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 29th Jun 2018 Algo MasBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Fri 6th Jul 2018 Black ParadeBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 DJ Craig Charles: Funk and Soul ClubBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Sat 7th Jul 2018 Paloma FaithBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Jersey BuddThe Musician (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 29th Jun 2018 Gaz BrookfieldBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Hook, The Jesus and Mary Chain: Skyline SeriesHarbourside (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Wonk UnitThe Parish (Huddersfield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Kool G RapJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Nine Inch NailsRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 29th Jun 2018 Trevor NelsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 The Quireboys, Cherry Lee MewisEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 29th Jun 2018 Pete TongBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, The Joy FormidablePurcell Room (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Marcelo D2Jazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Marquis DriveThe Station - Cannock Shopping Centre (Cannock)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 29th Jun 2018 Propaganda [club night]: We Love PopBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Fri 6th Jul 2018 Ramshackle [club night]Buy Tickets