Manchester International Festival 2011 gets Wood, Willem and Wagner for first confirmed productions
The Manchester International Festival (or MIF for the sake of my keyboard) has been operational now since 2007, although related performances took place a few years before, including the memorable Gorillaz: Demon Days night in 2005.
Previous festival performances have included premiere and one-off appearances from Elbow (with the Halle Orchestra), Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson (Yellow Pony stories), Antony and the Johnsons with the 36-piece Manchester Camerata ensemble, Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett's 'Monkey: Journey to the West' in 2007 and the Durutti Column's homage to a previous Manchester luminary, "A Paean to Wilson".
2011 sees an already ecelectic line-up starting to build for the festival, set to run from 30th June to 17th July. Tickets are now on sale for the following confirmed productions, with the full line-up set to be announced in March.
That Day We Sang
Victoria Wood is synonymous with writing bittersweet comedy, coupled with inoffensive yet mildly barbed one-liners. For MIF she presents a new theatre piece based on the lives of the kids in the Manchester Children's Choir, set during the late 20s and focussed on their recording of the popular song "Nymphs and Shepherds".
Presented as a documentary some 45 years after the event, the production follows their efforts making a 78 recording of Purcell's famous song, featuring a specially assembled choir (from MIF Creative's current school's programme) and musical arrangements. The play runs from 6th - 16th July and tickets cost £16-£36. NB - Victoria Wood is not appearing in the play, she is the producer.
The Life and Death of Marina Abramovic
This is a play by acclaimed director Robert Wilson and stars Hollywood's Willem Dafoe (Platoon, Wild at Heart and Spider-Man), running from 9th - 16th July and complete with music from Antony (of the Johnsons). The play concerns the life and works of performance-artist Marina Abramović (also in the production, returning here after her 2009 appearance) and includes a mixture of art, theatre and traditional Serbian and Antony music throughout. Tickets cost £15 - £39.50.
The theme of Wagner's "Ring Cycle" continues in 2011 after the success of "Götterdämmerung" at 2009's MIF with another delve into the German's canon by the acclaimed Halle Orchestra under the guidance of Sir Mark Elder.
The entire performance is supported by the prologue piece "The Madness of an Extraordinary Plan", commissioned for the MIF by Gerard McBurney and again performed by Halle. The presentation is spread over two days, Friday 15th July will feature "The Madness" plus Act 1 of "Die Walkure" while Saturday's matinee will feature Acts 2 and 3 of "Die Walkure". Tickets cost from £15 per performance.
We will keep you posted on any additions to the line-up during the coming months.
You may also be interested in
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 SigmaNottingham Trent Student Union/ The Loft (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th May 2019 Quadrophenia, Phil Daniels: Q&AIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th May 2019 to Fri 7th Jun 2019 Hugh JackmanBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 Brian BlessedThe Square Chapel Arts Centre (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend, Miley Cyrus, Stormzy, Mumford and...Stewart Park (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 Forbidden Fruit, Skepta, Danny BrownRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Forbidden Fruit, mura masaRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Jun 2019 Forbidden Fruit, Elbow, First Aid KitRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Field Day, Skepta, Actress [dubstep], Bonobo, Boy Azooga, De...Meridian Water (Enfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Field Day, Jorja Smith, Diplo, The Black Madonna, Erol Alkan...Meridian Water (Enfield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 An Evening with: Kelsey Grammer, Iain LeeAldwych Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 Belsonic, StormzyOrmeau Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 GlastonburyMore Info..
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 Glastonbury, StormzyWorthy Farm (Somerset)More Info..
- Sun 30th Jun 2019 Glastonbury, Kylie MinogueWorthy Farm (Somerset)More Info..
- Tue 2nd Jul 2019 and Wed 3rd Jul 2019 Janelle MonáeBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 TRNSMT, Stormzy, Gerry Cinnamon, Years and Years, AJ Tracey,...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 TRNSMT, George Ezra, Snow Patrol, Jess Glynne, The Kooks, Th...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 South West Four, Martin Garrix, Craig David, Tinie Tempah, A...Clapham Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Sep 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Professor Brian CoxBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 Brian and Robin's Christmas Compendium of Reason: Professor Brian Cox, Robin InceEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets