The lowdown on the hoedown - Hot Club of Cowtown for October 2010 UK tour and Halloween special
After a continual succession of glum Americana and roots bands troubling our ears over the past few years (some acts are worthy, some are not), it's refreshing to have a bit of good ole authenticity around in the form of Hot Club of Cowtown. Despite originally hailing from New York City, the country-swing/hot jazz trio pay homage to their peers with a fiddle-filled hoedown sound that previously had Jools Holland excited a while back, after appearing on "Later..."
They appear to have had one question to ponder about since their formation in the late 90s - "What Makes Bob Holler?", which has hopefully been answered on the forthcoming album of the same name. The 'Bob' in the title is Bob Wills (and his Texas Playboys, naturally), the band's primary influence and source of inspiration over the years.
Wills was making similar sounds back in the 40s and 50s and became the King of Western Swing and here on this album they cover many Wills standards, plus a few fans' favourites. A review for the album will feature on here in due course.
To support the release of the album (due 1st November), the trio will tour the UK and Ireland starting in Bridport on 20th October, followed by Norwich, Runcorn, Cork, London, Bristol, Oxford and Bedford. Tickets cost around £16.50 plus fees and are available now.
One extra-special event takes place on Halloween - a performance by Hot Club of Cowtown (plus other Dixie-land and blues 'n' roots debauchery from The Correspondents and El Nino) will take place on the Dixie Queen Paddle Steamer as part of the Steam Boat Bordello banner.
Your ticket (costing from £35-£65) includes a trip on the boat up the Thames towards the Thames Barrier and back again, plenty of musical entertainment and a cast of Halloween characters befitting of a bordello, plus bar and restaurant. Happy sailing.
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sun 18th Mar 2018 Kathryn WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 and Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Jo HarmanBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Fanfare CiocarliaO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 and Sat 10th Mar 2018 Sean TaylorBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Budapest Cafe OrchestraTolmen Centre (Falmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 Mad Dog McreaBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 and Fri 4th May 2018 The BaghdaddiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Apr 2018 to Thu 12th Apr 2018 Brooke SharkeyBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Apr 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 CalanBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Apr 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Molotov JukeboxBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 The EskiesWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Gretchen PetersBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Gretchen Peters, Kim RicheyThe Pavilion Theatre (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Lamont Dozier, Jo HarmanThe Dancehouse Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets