The lowdown on the hoedown - Hot Club of Cowtown for October 2010 UK tour and Halloween special
After a continual succession of glum Americana and roots bands troubling our ears over the past few years (some acts are worthy, some are not), it's refreshing to have a bit of good ole authenticity around in the form of Hot Club of Cowtown. Despite originally hailing from New York City, the country-swing/hot jazz trio pay homage to their peers with a fiddle-filled hoedown sound that previously had Jools Holland excited a while back, after appearing on "Later..."
They appear to have had one question to ponder about since their formation in the late 90s - "What Makes Bob Holler?", which has hopefully been answered on the forthcoming album of the same name. The 'Bob' in the title is Bob Wills (and his Texas Playboys, naturally), the band's primary influence and source of inspiration over the years.
Wills was making similar sounds back in the 40s and 50s and became the King of Western Swing and here on this album they cover many Wills standards, plus a few fans' favourites. A review for the album will feature on here in due course.
To support the release of the album (due 1st November), the trio will tour the UK and Ireland starting in Bridport on 20th October, followed by Norwich, Runcorn, Cork, London, Bristol, Oxford and Bedford. Tickets cost around £16.50 plus fees and are available now.
One extra-special event takes place on Halloween - a performance by Hot Club of Cowtown (plus other Dixie-land and blues 'n' roots debauchery from The Correspondents and El Nino) will take place on the Dixie Queen Paddle Steamer as part of the Steam Boat Bordello banner.
Your ticket (costing from £35-£65) includes a trip on the boat up the Thames towards the Thames Barrier and back again, plenty of musical entertainment and a cast of Halloween characters befitting of a bordello, plus bar and restaurant. Happy sailing.
You may be interested in
- Tue 22nd May 2018 and Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Gretchen Peters, Kim RicheyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 Gretchen PetersBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Mad Dog McreaBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Trio ManoucheGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 CalanSt. Edith Hall (Sevenoaks)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Kathryn Williams, Claire Mooney: Women in Union - TUC 150th AnniversaryThe Mechanics Conference Centre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Budapest Cafe OrchestraStrathpeffer Pavilion [Spa Pavilion] (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Jun 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 Sean TaylorBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Jo HarmanBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Folk by the Oak, Amy MacDonald, Eliza Carthy, Julie Fowlis, ...Hatfield House (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Arctic Monkeys, The War On Drugs, Zara Lars...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 The TurbansJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Levellers, Show of Hands, Skinny List...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 Jesse DaytonBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Molotov JukeboxBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Ben CaplanBuy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 The EskiesBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Lamont Dozier, Jo HarmanBuy Tickets