What's in store? Manchester's Comedy Store offers top headlining hilarity for autumn 2010
If you are from, or just visiting, the city of Manchester during this autumn you might be in need of some shelter from the (usually) hefty amounts of rain in the region. Don't waste your money on a crap umbrella that flips inside at the merest hint of a soft breeze, buy you and your mates or partner a ticket to one of the impressive comedy shows at the Deansgate Locks venue, The Comedy Store.
As well as the usual array of club nights such as 'Stand Up Night' on most evenings, "The Best In Stand Up" on Fridays and Saturdays and the monthly "King Gong" on the first Sunday of the month, the venue has booked a pile of key acts to keep you occupied earlier in the week.
All tickets cost between £12 and £17.
Born in Glasgow, raised in Yorkshire - he's gotta be good at comedy surely and he is. He's played the Edinburgh Fringe, on and off, since 2004 and has appeared on 'Have I Got News For You', as well as 'Mock The Week', '8 Out Of 10 Cats' and 'Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow'. Droll and deadpan, he will appear in Manchester as part of his national tour on 20th Sep (click on his name for full tour details).
Famed for the inclusion of a Stratocaster-guitar in his set some years ago (or was it last week), Rob Deering has a cheery cheeky charm about him and uses music to raise gormlessness to a new level - a funny level. His previous Fringe shows have covered his love of cinema ("Rob Deering - The Movie") and er boobs in "Boobs", but he is pretty hilarious when going through his Prodigy skit, acapella style - check the 'Rob Deering - Prodigy' link in the sidebar - and gape in wonderment. He plays here on 4th October.
Ventriloquists are not just about shoving your hand up a furry doll's jacksy and saying 'gottle of geer'. Paul Zerdin is sharp-witted, occasionally near the knuckle but really clever. His key companion on stage is the lippy Sam but others include Baby and Albert and some pacey dialogue to boot. He appeared on the Royal Variety Performance in 2009 - you might have seen him stuffing Sam into a holdall. Shocking way to treat a kid. You can see if the NSPCC have caught up with him on tour, as well as here at the Comedy Store on 19th October.
He's highly direct, controversial and a tad on the blasphemous side but Jim Jefferies is never afraid to confront taboos like religion, holocausts, sex toys and football, but this time his show is called "Alcoholocaust" and deals with, well you figure it out from the title. Manchester holds a special place for the Aussie comic - a disgruntled punter decided to ask for his money back by going straight to the performer in person during his act. Probably didn't need to use his fists though. Jefferies hit the big time in the US with the "I Swear To God" DVD a few years back - not for the easily upset. He plays here on 25th Oct as part of his national tour.
Manchester Comedy Festival 2010
Not forgetting: October is the time of the mighty Manchester Comedy Festival - full programme to be announced soon - watch this space.
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Stand-up/ Comedy Night, Comedy StoreBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sat 29th Dec 2018 The Best In Stand Up [Comedy Store]Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 to Sun 4th Nov 2018 King Gong [Comedy Store], Comedy StoreBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 Comedy Store: New StuffBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 King Gong [Comedy Store]The Comedy Store (Manchester)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Laughing Cows Comedy NightFrog and Bucket Comedy Club (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 to Mon 24th Sep 2018 Beat the FrogBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 Piff the Magic DragonThe Comedy Store (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Electric Swing CircusBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Group TherapyGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Didsbury Comedy Club, Adam Rowe, Toby HadokeDidsbury Cricket/ Comedy Club (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Laugh Out Loud Comedy ClubPalace Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 LOL Comedy ClubPalace Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 LaurelSoup Kitchen (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Chris TuckerO2 Apollo (Manchester)Buy Tickets