What's in store? Manchester's Comedy Store offers top headlining hilarity for autumn 2010
If you are from, or just visiting, the city of Manchester during this autumn you might be in need of some shelter from the (usually) hefty amounts of rain in the region. Don't waste your money on a crap umbrella that flips inside at the merest hint of a soft breeze, buy you and your mates or partner a ticket to one of the impressive comedy shows at the Deansgate Locks venue, The Comedy Store.
As well as the usual array of club nights such as 'Stand Up Night' on most evenings, "The Best In Stand Up" on Fridays and Saturdays and the monthly "King Gong" on the first Sunday of the month, the venue has booked a pile of key acts to keep you occupied earlier in the week.
All tickets cost between £12 and £17.
Born in Glasgow, raised in Yorkshire - he's gotta be good at comedy surely and he is. He's played the Edinburgh Fringe, on and off, since 2004 and has appeared on 'Have I Got News For You', as well as 'Mock The Week', '8 Out Of 10 Cats' and 'Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow'. Droll and deadpan, he will appear in Manchester as part of his national tour on 20th Sep (click on his name for full tour details).
Famed for the inclusion of a Stratocaster-guitar in his set some years ago (or was it last week), Rob Deering has a cheery cheeky charm about him and uses music to raise gormlessness to a new level - a funny level. His previous Fringe shows have covered his love of cinema ("Rob Deering - The Movie") and er boobs in "Boobs", but he is pretty hilarious when going through his Prodigy skit, acapella style - check the 'Rob Deering - Prodigy' link in the sidebar - and gape in wonderment. He plays here on 4th October.
Ventriloquists are not just about shoving your hand up a furry doll's jacksy and saying 'gottle of geer'. Paul Zerdin is sharp-witted, occasionally near the knuckle but really clever. His key companion on stage is the lippy Sam but others include Baby and Albert and some pacey dialogue to boot. He appeared on the Royal Variety Performance in 2009 - you might have seen him stuffing Sam into a holdall. Shocking way to treat a kid. You can see if the NSPCC have caught up with him on tour, as well as here at the Comedy Store on 19th October.
He's highly direct, controversial and a tad on the blasphemous side but Jim Jefferies is never afraid to confront taboos like religion, holocausts, sex toys and football, but this time his show is called "Alcoholocaust" and deals with, well you figure it out from the title. Manchester holds a special place for the Aussie comic - a disgruntled punter decided to ask for his money back by going straight to the performer in person during his act. Probably didn't need to use his fists though. Jefferies hit the big time in the US with the "I Swear To God" DVD a few years back - not for the easily upset. He plays here on 25th Oct as part of his national tour.
Manchester Comedy Festival 2010
Not forgetting: October is the time of the mighty Manchester Comedy Festival - full programme to be announced soon - watch this space.
You may also be interested in
- Fri 24th May 2019 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 Barrel of Laughs - Frog & BucketBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 to Mon 24th Jun 2019 Beat the FrogBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2019 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Stand-up/ Comedy NightBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2019 Mik Artistik's Ego TripGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 Group TherapyGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 The Rutles: Get Up and Go AgainGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Didsbury Comedy ClubDidsbury Cricket/ Comedy Club (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Sol Bernstein, Andrew LawrenceDidsbury Cricket/ Comedy Club (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Julian Deane, Justin Moorhouse, Chris KentChorlton Irish Club (Chorlton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 LOL Comedy ClubPalace Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Laugh Out Loud Comedy ClubPalace Theatre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 George Ezra, Solange, The Streets, Migos, Khalid, Christine ...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 The Courteeners, DMA's, james, Pale WavesHeaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 Laughing Cows Comedy NightTribeca (Manchester)Buy Tickets