Colourful Notting Hill Carnival 2010 celebrates 45 years with big names and even bigger parties
August Bank Holiday normally means many things to many people. An extra day off work (unless you're in retail or tourism), rain, the end of the summer, rain and the Notting Hill Carnival all conjure up the atmosphere of the last public holiday of the year, before Christmas takes a grip on our wallets.
The Notting Hill Carnival probably scares the hell out of the local residents but for over a million revellers, it's the party of the year. Below is a list of some of the best parties and after-parties going on, of which there are probably hundreds of them. So to whet your appetite, we've assembled a few of the best events, aside from the Carnival itself of course.
Channel One Carnival Warm-Up
There are a few 'warm-up' events happening around London, prior to the Bank Holiday. This one takes place at the Vibe Bar in Brick Lane on Sunday 22nd August and is inspired by the Jamaican sound-systems of the 60s and 70s. The legendary Mikey Dread crew (inspired by the late DJ) and emcee toaster Ras Kayleb will turn up the bass and pummel your ribcage for free from 4pm til late.
London Calypso Tent 2010
From 30th July and every Friday thereafter, the LCT hosts plenty of pre-carnival loveliness in the shape of calypso and reggae stars giving their all. Tonight (20th) it's 'Groovy Soca Monarch' night while next Friday it's the final night with admission costing £10 plus fees. You can expect authentic Caribbean hospitality and musical experiences at the Powis Square venue.
If you want rollers and jump-ups, look no further than Fabric for the Playaz Carnival Special on the 27th August. Big names like DJ Hype, Fabio, Friction, Commix and Pascal will fill all three rooms at the venue, with tickets costing £15 - £18 for admission before midnight. There will be around 20 DJs across the night and early morning.
Dubwise Carnival Festival 2010
There is so much going on over the weekend with Saturday pretty much exclusively concentrating on sound-systems and steel band competitions. However, Sunday night sees a whole swathe of musical activity in Brixton with the top attractions looking like the Dubwise Fest at Mass. This heavy heavy dub event features premier acts such as Iration Steppas, King Alpha Sound System and The Disciples - the very best in UK dub. £15 to get in. Also in the area will be the legendary David Rodigan spinning some classics at Plan B, alongside Shy FX. £8 gets you into the Deadly Rhythm night.
The most famous DJ associated with Notting Hill is Norman Jay MBE (I'm sure that stands for Most Bass Emitted) who every year arranges a top-notch Good Times afterparty somewhere in London. This time it's at the William IV pub near Kensal Green on the Sunday night and tickets are already flying out. You know what he will play - dub, soul, warehouse and party-bangers all night long. £15 gets you in (only before 11pm).
Probably not the most traditional carnival after party is the shindig at The Silver Bullet in Finsbury Park on Sunday. Indie-outfit Mystery Jets will headline a series of DJ sets by their good selves plus Loose Cannons and Alvin C, all of whom will lay on the funk and soul in thick layers and all for just £5. But there's a theme - the whole night is a 'pool party' so turn up in beach wear to earn yourself a free shot of what you fancy.
Hot Caribbean Festival 2010
The O2 in Islington will feature DJ sets from Spice New York, D Tee and Djahman plus Pas from Shal Marshall and Konata. The whole night will feature a mixture of Afro-Caribbean sounds such as zouk, calypso, soca and reggaeton just two minutes from Angel station. Shal Marshall, by the way, is Trinidad's Soca Monarch - in other words, he's the daddy of Soca. £10.
Check our listings below for other great nights with Monday's second Dubwise bash at Mass being the most attractive proposition with more UK dub, dancehall and raga from Mafia and Fluxy and Gussie P as part of the line-up. £12.50.
Have a safe Carnival.
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Notting Hill Carnival, Notting Hill Carnival Party: Get Mad FestTroxy (Tower Hamlets)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 David RodiganVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 David RodiganVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Norman JayThe Blues Kitchen (Brixton)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 King TuffMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 Live in the Square, Sister Sledge, DJ Craig CharlesGrosvenor Square (Mayfair)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 Rising AppalachiaBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Wiley, Flava DXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 and Fri 24th Aug 2018 Algo MasBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Shortee Blitz, Mo FingazThe Hoxton Pony (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Club De FromageBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Elrow, Paco Osuna, Richy Ahmed, Steve Lawler, wAFFQueen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 The RevengeJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Kurt TravisThe Slaughtered Lamb (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Lil LouisXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 WookieThe Camden Assembly (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Horace AndyJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Elrow Town London: Elrow, Fatboy SlimQueen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Beres Hammond, SanchezO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Little RoyJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 Heartless Crew, Todd EdwardsXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 and Wed 22nd Aug 2018 Dirty ProjectorsBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 The Joy FormidableThe Lexington (Islington)More Info..
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 KasabianO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)More Info..
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 SkinnymanThe Finsbury (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Ozomatli, Chali 2na: Worldwide Block PartyKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Ferry Corsten, The Gallery [club night]Ministry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Beres HammondO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Channel One SoundsystemVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sun 26th Aug 2018 South West FourBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 David JThe Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Amine Edge & DanceXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Trevor NelsonMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Alexis Raphael, Miguel CampbellMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 DJ Cable, Jamie RodiganTrapeze (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 Blonde RedheadIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 Grandmaster Flash: Hip Hop People, Places and ThingsScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 I Don't Know How But They Found MeO2 Academy Islington (Islington)More Info..
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 and Sat 1st Sep 2018 The Jungle BrothersBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 Johnny OsbourneJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Donae'o, Jubilee [Aga Khan], Flava D, RoskaXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Modern English100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 and Sun 23rd Sep 2018 Feeling GloomyBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 KagouleMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 DJ Marky [DnB]Electric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Danny KrivitJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Dimitri From ParisXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Shadow ChildMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 DestroyerJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Luciano [reggae]Boisdale of Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 Camp CopeBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Sep 2018 The KooksMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 and Fri 7th Sep 2018 Titus Andronicus [US]Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 and Fri 7th Sep 2018 IncubusBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 Tony Allen, Amp FiddlerJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets