From Bombay to Brighton - El Guincho brings Spanish Raga beats to the UK, autumn 2010
You may not know the name El Guincho just yet, but you soon might. Pablo Diaz-Reixa has been using the moniker since 2007 in order to release a very curious yet engaging catalogue of, well, just about every musical style you can think of. Fusing Spanish roots and tongue with strong elements of African, Asian and Caribbean, mixed up in a big casserole of global beats and looped to buggery might sound like a right old mess but, trust me, he hasn't put a timbale wrong yet. The album "Alegranza" caused a few people to sit up and take notice - think Os Mutantes, Manu Chao on acid and Speed Caravan territory.
Tell you what - go to his website at www.elguincho.com and check out the free download of the single, "Bombay". If your feet don't wiggle and your neck doesn't nod just a little, you are officially dead - it's a neat melange of steel pans and a brimful of Asia that serves as a great amuse-bouche for the upcoming album, "Pop Negro", due out in September. It's also insanely catchy without being trite.
The young Canaries musician is back in the UK to promote the album, playing six gigs from 28th October (Manchester) to 9th November (Brighton) with a stop-off in London on the 7th. Tickets are on sale now and cost a pocket-friendly £7.50 (£9.50 for London) plus fees to get in. Meanwhile, I'm going to put "Bombay" on again for the fifth time in half an hour - I bet the neighbours are loving me right now.
You may be interested in
- Mon 12th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Ezra CollectiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 The Cool KidsJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 The Prodigy: No TouristsBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 Seun Kuti & Fela's Egypt 80Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Electric SixBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 Friendly Fires, Justin RobertsonRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Friendly FiresBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 AfrobeatJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 and Fri 25th Jan 2019 Dele SosimiBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 London Afrobeat CollectiveThe Blues Kitchen (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 IceageEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Dec 2018 Fela KutiJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 The Streets: The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light - Part TwoBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Tue 5th Feb 2019 The Streets, The Manor: The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light - Part TwoBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 DavidoThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 JungleBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th May 2019 The Horrors: Primary ColoursRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets