Fat Friday 30th July 2010 starring Pendulum, Madness, Mark Ronson, The Coral, Jonathan Richman, Badly Drawn Boy, Gorillaz and more
Posted: 29th July 2010
What a whopper we have here! I'm not referring to a script from a 'Carry On'-film, rather I'm looking at the juicy size of our Fat Friday round-up. We've mentioned a few of them this week already, but a few very interesting dates have just appeared at 'mission-control'. Peel back those eyelids and feast your pupils on these big beauties.
All on sale from 9am unless stated - prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Pendulum Australia's premier rock 'n' bass outfit continue their quest for global-domination with an eight-date tour in December, beginning with Glasgow on the 1st and ending with Aberdeen on the 10th - priced at £22.50 - £25. Full dates are listed below and you can watch a teaser video on the earlier article page. Current single "Witchcraft" is currently sitting nicely in the Top 30 after huge download sales.
Madness The multi-instrumentalists and official Nutty Boys to the Nation are back on the bus in December as well, kicking off a new UK tour in Blackpool on 26th November, taking in Manchester, Leeds and Plymouth (amongst the many) before ending up in London at Earl's Court on 15th December. Please note that tickets go on sale at 9.30am, with prices starting at £35. Oh and the tour is called "Don't Adjust Your Nut" - the mind boggles!
Badly Drawn Boy The man with the warmest head in music (he always seems to have THAT hat on, even in summer), has announced some dates in October in support of some new material looming on the horizon. Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol and London will all host a piece of Gough magic with tickets costing from £17.50. Keep checking back for possible additions to the itinerary (four is never enough!).
Jonathan Richman Garage-punk legend Jonathan Richman formed the short-lived Modern Lovers in the mid 70s, unleashing the familiar "Roadrunner" and a landmark album in 1976 before calling it quits. The follow-up single "Egyptian Reggae" was a curious version of an old reggae-classic and another hit. However his profile has remained at cult-status for three decades and it could be argued that Strokes and Violent Femmes borrowed much from his catalogue to formulate their sound. You can see the man himself perform 4 (that's FOUR) dates in London during October, including The Luminaire, Amersham Arms, Mondo Water Rats and Notting Hill's Tabernacle. Tickets are £17.50.
Mark Ronson Producer, remixer, media-personality - Mark Ronson's profile has shot through the roof after his massive "Version" album gave Lily Allen and Daniel Merriweather a much-welcome leg-up in the biz. Now he turns his attention to original tunes and another string of guest vocalists and rappers with the eagerly-awaited "Record Collection", due in September. His tour also kicks off on the release date of 27th Sep in Bristol and continues through to Leeds on the 3rd Oct. Tickets are £20.
The Coral Much-underrated Wirral-wizards The Coral have recently notched up another hit album with "Butterfly House" and rather good it is too. The lads are out and about in November, starting in Leeds on the 14th and ending up near their home-land in Liverpool on the 20th. Tickets are around £19.50 plus fees.
Goo Goo Dolls Popular alt-rock outfit Goo Goo Dolls have a new album to promote and have elected to tour the UK in November, a few months after "Something For The Rest Of Us". First stop will be Glasgow on the 7th and passing through Leeds, Brixton and ending up in Leicester. Tickets will cost from £23.50 plus fees - meanwhile the album gets a release on 30th August with another single (TBA) out around the same time.
Europe They come from Sweden and they have been everywhere - nah, not Ikea, I mean Europe. Joey Tempest and his charges gave us "The Final Countdown" back in the 80s and have never looked back. Of course, that song wasn't their only hit but you can't imagine sound-tracking a sporting or entertainment highlight with "Rock The Night" or "I'll Cry For You" can you? A full UK tour (called 'Balls and Banners' - I know, I know) has been announced for February 2011, starting in Glasgow on the 17th and continuing via London to Newcastle on the 27th. Tickets cost £17.50 upwards.
22-20s Despite splitting up in 2006, this Lincolnshire band's songs started to filter onto the small-screen via ad agencies. Car adverts are normally a good way to get heard and "Devil In Me" by 22-20s helped flog a few Vauxhalls a couple of years back - it also spurred the band to reform and play a Heavenly Festival celebration in 2008. Their 2010 album "Shake/Shiver/Moan" has yet to appear in the UK - so maybe you can gee them along by seeing them on tour. They play in Manchester on 12th October and finish up in Nottingham on the 18th. Tickets are £8.
Echo and the Bunnymen Other new dates have been confirmed for soft-indie-rock outfit Athlete in a 'greatest hits'-type show at the Forum (20th Nov - part of a bigger tour, other dates are already on sale), Echo and the Bunnymen with classic-album renditions of "Crocodiles" and "Heaven Up Here" (4th - 12th Dec), 30 Seconds To Mars (25th - 27th Nov), Pendulum-supporting metallers Hadouken! (19th and 30th Oct) and Mercury-nominees I Am Kloot, with two more dates in Manchester (3rd Dec) and Shepherd's Bush (28th Jan 2011). Reckon y'all wanna see Kevin Costner and Modern West, really (KOKO - 16th Sep) - yeehah!
Gorillaz Last but not least, the rescheduled Gorillaz arena tour (moved to November from September) was given a little sweetener with the addition of a Brighton date at the Brighton Centre on 18th November. There are still some tickets available for the newly rescheduled dates, but note that the Glasgow and Newcastle jaunts are now no longer happening.
- Fri 7th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Oval Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen The Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen Roundhouse (Camden) Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen University of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen The Royal and Derngate Theatre (Northampton) Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen De La Warr Pavilion (Sussex) Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen O2 Academy Bournemouth (Bournemouth) Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen St David's Hall (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen Barrowland Ballroom (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen The Sage (Gateshead) Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th May 2021 Echo and the Bunnymen Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th May 2021 The Music, The Cribs, The Coral, The Snuts, The Skinner Brothers Temple Newsam (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th May 2021 Neighbourhood Weekender, Ian Brown, Sam Fender, Shed Seven, Pale Waves, Reverend and the Makers, The Coral, The Magic Gang, The Sherlocks, The Murder Capital, The Big Moon, Fontaines D.C., BLOXX Victoria Park (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th May 2021 Ian Brown, Sam Fender, Shed Seven, Pale Waves, The Coral, The Magic Gang, The Sherlocks, The K's, Reverend and the Makers, Gang of Youths, The Murder Capital, The Big Moon, The Snuts, Love Fame Tragedy, The Lathums, Zuzu, The Orielles, The Mysterines, AIRWAYS, The Hara, Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Wombats, Miles Kane, Tom Walker, The Lightning Seeds, The Pigeon Detectives, Fickle Friends, BLOXX, Paul Heaton, Sundara Karma, Sea Girls, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Inhaler, Sports Team, Red Rum Club, Nasty Cherry, Cassia, Phoebe Green, LONA, Lauran Hibberd, Talk Show, Working Men's Club Victoria Park (Warrington) Buy Tickets