He loves the birds - The Beautiful South's David Rotheray brings birdsong and rural rhythms on summer 2010 UK tour
Of course I should have inserted the prefix-word 'ex' in front of The Beautiful South because David Rotheray left the chart-topping band some time ago having opted out of joining New Beautiful South and The South (the two later incarnations). Instead, the guitarist has been working with Sam Brown under the guise of Homespun (which he was doing as a side project to his hit-making contributions, however after a change of vocalist from Brown to Helen McRobbie, he has plumped for the solo-life - well, almost.
His debut solo-album is due for release on August 16th and features several collaborations with a considerable roster of folk luminaries such as Eliza Carthy, Kathryn Williams, Eleanor McEvoy and Alasdair Roberts. Called "The Life Of Birds", the songs within deal with all form of human emotion with an ongoing theme of all things winged. There'll be a review of the album up soon, but meanwhile there is the small matter of a tour to mention.
Rotheray will be joined by a few guests for the tour which begins in Hull (12th August), followed by Newcastle (13th), Nottingham (14th), Bristol (15th) and London (16th), with tickets on sale now priced at £10 - £12.
You can be sure of plenty of quality strum n grace from the man who co-wrote "Song for Whoever" and "A Little Time" back in the 90s.
You may be interested in
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 Alasdair RobertsThe Boileroom (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 The SouthWaterside Arts Centre (Sale)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Kathryn WilliamsSt Mary's Church (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 The SouthHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 The SouthThe Birdwell Club (Barnsley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Alasdair RobertsSneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 The SouthUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Mar 2019 Kathryn WilliamsThe Dalston Victoria (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Martin Carthy, Eliza CarthyThe National Forest Folk Club - Moira (Ashby de la Zouch)Buy Tickets