What a Wonder Woman - Lynda Carter spins into action as easy Jazz crooner at the Garrick, September 2010
If you're as old as I am (easy people) then you may just remember the swathe of comic-book super-hero series that hit our screens in the 70s. Batman, The Incredible Hulk and Six Million Dollar Man were all huge successes and basically kept kids (and adults) off the streets during its transmission, producing a cult of running around the local streets 'wooshing', 'growling' and performing 'slow-motion pretend-lifting and running', all happening without much coordination, while someone in the group of mates sang the theme-tune. Badly. But something was obviously missing in the form of a female super-hero - until "Wonder Woman" spun into action of course....
Lynda Carter, a former beauty-queen, was the subject of many a male fantasy in the late 70s and it wasn't for her choice of boots and extending rope-snare either. What you may not have realised, is her foray into the world of music. Carter is an accomplished crooner who had already released an album entitled "Portraits" back in 1978, and she has followed that up with 2009's "At Last". Both albums are collections of MOR and jazz-standards and include songs such as "You Send Me", "Cry Me A River" and "She's Always A Woman" (the latter was actually on the 1978 album, pre-empting the success of the Billy Joel tune by some two decades).
Now you have a chance to see her sing live at the Garrick Theatre on 17th and 18th September for between £25 - £39 plus fees, with Carter due to perform songs from a forthcoming third album, as well as from her expansive repertoire. Tickets are available now.
You may be interested in
- Tue 21st May 2019 to Mon 10th Jun 2019 Michael BubléBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2019 to Thu 29th Aug 2019 The FureysBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 Heather PeaceConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 to Thu 15th Aug 2019 Finbar FureyBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 Julio Iglesias: 50th anniversaryWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 and Sat 29th Jun 2019 Tony BennettBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Jul 2019 to Tue 27th Aug 2019 Brendan ShineBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2019 to Fri 11th Oct 2019 Daniel O'Donnell: GoldBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Charlie LandsboroughRegal Cinema (Redruth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jan 2020 to Sun 1st Mar 2020 Tommy FlemingBuy Tickets