What a Wonder Woman - Lynda Carter spins into action as easy Jazz crooner at the Garrick, September 2010
If you're as old as I am (easy people) then you may just remember the swathe of comic-book super-hero series that hit our screens in the 70s. Batman, The Incredible Hulk and Six Million Dollar Man were all huge successes and basically kept kids (and adults) off the streets during its transmission, producing a cult of running around the local streets 'wooshing', 'growling' and performing 'slow-motion pretend-lifting and running', all happening without much coordination, while someone in the group of mates sang the theme-tune. Badly. But something was obviously missing in the form of a female super-hero - until "Wonder Woman" spun into action of course....
Lynda Carter, a former beauty-queen, was the subject of many a male fantasy in the late 70s and it wasn't for her choice of boots and extending rope-snare either. What you may not have realised, is her foray into the world of music. Carter is an accomplished crooner who had already released an album entitled "Portraits" back in 1978, and she has followed that up with 2009's "At Last". Both albums are collections of MOR and jazz-standards and include songs such as "You Send Me", "Cry Me A River" and "She's Always A Woman" (the latter was actually on the 1978 album, pre-empting the success of the Billy Joel tune by some two decades).
Now you have a chance to see her sing live at the Garrick Theatre on 17th and 18th September for between £25 - £39 plus fees, with Carter due to perform songs from a forthcoming third album, as well as from her expansive repertoire. Tickets are available now.
You may be interested in
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 5th Jan 2019 Davey Arthur and the FureysBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Finbar FureyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Tony ChristieBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Nouvelle VagueBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 Rose-MarieBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Gary Barlow, Rumer, Ferris and SylvesterBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Charles AznavourRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Michael BubléCroke Park Stadium (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 to Fri 12th Oct 2018 Brendan ShineBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Michael Bubl&e...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Wed 10th Oct 2018 Daniel O'DonnellBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Heather Peace, Rachael SageArc (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Heather PeaceBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 Foster & AllenHarpenden Public Halls (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sun 3rd Mar 2019 Tommy FlemingBuy Tickets