Fat Friday 16th July 2010: Barry Manilow, Goldfrapp, Corinne Bailey Rae, Tinie Tempah, Avenged Sevenfold, Gotan Project and more
Posted: 15th July 2010
The sun appears to have been scared off by a load of water this week, but thankfully the heady world of live entertainment rolls on like a train (well, faster and more reliable in fact). There are the usual big names but NOT the usual suspects with one entertainer so huge in stature that he needs three gigs at the O2 to satisfy as many people as possible, which is a fine cue for the first in our Fat Friday round-up.All on sale from 9am unless stated - prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Barry Manilow Form an orderly queue folks, the kitsch and classic balladeer is back in the UK for a short stint at the O2 Arena in 2011, which sounds like a long way off but we all know how quickly time passes and tickets sell these days. Mr Manilow has managed to gather new fans from many generations, particularly with "Copacabana" and "Could It Be Magic?" - I guess we can thank Take That for bringing him back in the limelight. During his three nights (4th - 6th May 2011), he'll be joined by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and will work through his classics, other standards and possibly some new songs - tickets begin at £28.50, rising to £111 for the close-up seats.
Goldfrapp Alison and Will, alias Goldfrapp, are back on tour in November to give their recently-released album "Head First" a much-needed boost after the relatively disappointing performance of its singles and initial sales. Still, it's a decent album so time will tell - a new single, "Believer", should now be issued during September. A few weeks afterwards, Goldfrapp head to Bristol (on the 9th) for the first of eight dates around the UK, ending up in Newcastle on the 20th. Tickets cost from £22.50.
Corinne Bailey Rae The Leeds soulstress is enjoying herself by "The Sea", her critically-acclaimed follow-up to her 2006 debut album. The Top 5 collection has been aired at the White House (with Herbie Hancock) in honour of Paul McCartney, spawned a US Jazz-chart hit in "Closer" and has to be a contender for a Mercury Prize nomination next week. Rae has already toured Europe with the album, including the UK, but after her joint US dates with Norah Jones, she will return to these shores in October from the 7th in Edinburgh, Manchester on the 8th etc until hitting London's Festival Hall on the 18th and Leicester on the 19th. Tickets are £19.50 (£25 for London) plus fees.
Tinie Tempah He's a busy 'Frisky' boy is our Tinie - if you've been to a festival during the summer, you will have no doubt seen him at the Radio 1 Big Weekend, Wakestock, T4 on the Beach or Wireless. If you haven't then check his artist-page on here for his upcoming festy-dates - hopefully he won't be too knackered to play a full UK tour in the autumn. I doubt it - a new album "Disc-Overy", featuring the number one single "Pass Out" and forthcoming single "Written In The Stars" is set for release in August, surely a number one debut in the offing (just like Bailey Rae in fact). The album tour starts in Cardiff on the 10th October and continues through to Oxford on the 31st - tickets are £12 - £14 plus the usuals.
Avenged Sevenfold It isn't often you get two premier metal bands on the same bill, but that is exactly what you do have for this tour - with both acts performing a full set. Avenged Sevenfold and Stone Sour will team up in the autumn for a string of dates from Glasgow (26th October) to Brighton (7th Nov) with a couple of stops in Manchester and a date at London's Hammersmith Apollo and the rock stronghold of Plymouth included. These will fly out at £27.50 a pop (London is £29.50), guaranteeing a cracking night of tracks from new albums and past years.
Gotan Project This tango-tinged outfit don't visit the UK too often, save for the odd festival appearance, but in light of the recent release of the new album "Tango 3.0", they felt the need to air it in public. It's a good album, decidedly more trad than their previous two but no less contemporary or chilled-out than usual, so should sound amazing live. Their sole gig this year is on 25th October at London's super Troxy venue, a fitting night for the dizzy sounds of the Gotan methinks. Tickets are £25.
Gogol Bordello On a similar tip, if only because of their loyal fan-base, is Gogol Bordello. The wild gypsy-punks return for a small handful of dates later in the year with Liverpool coming first on 26th November, followed by a two-night residency at the HMV Forum on 15th and 16th December. These tickets go on sale on Friday, but you can pick up tickets for the Leeds (27th Nov) and Brighton (28th) nights now. Their popularity is such that the recent album "Trans-Continental Hustle" reached the top 75 album listings (66, no less) so tickets will probably sell just as quickly.
Train There are also new tours by Mystery Jets, I Am Arrows (featuring Razorlights' ex-drummer Andy Burrows) and Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story (the latter in Bristol and Sunderland), but just announced is a short UK stint by the band Train. Massive in the States, modest over here, they racked up a hit this year with the song "Hey, Soul Sister", a strummy catchy little thing that gave Train their second top 20 hit in the UK (after "Drops Of Jupiter" in 2001). If you fancy a bit of easy American MOR then head to Birmingham on 20th Oct, Manchester (23rd), Bristol (24th) and Shepherd's Bush (25th) - tickets are no more than £17.50 plus fees.
- Fri 25th Dec 2020 Goldfrapp Albert Hall (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Mar 2021 Goldfrapp O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford) Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Mar 2021 Goldfrapp : Felt Mountain The Sage (Gateshead) Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Mar 2021 Goldfrapp : Felt Mountain Usher Hall (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Mar 2021 Goldfrapp Albert Hall (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Apr 2021 Goldfrapp Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth) Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Apr 2021 Goldfrapp Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth) Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Apr 2021 Goldfrapp : Felt Mountain Symphony Hall (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets The Trinity Centre (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Apr 2021 Goldfrapp : Felt Mountain De La Warr Pavilion (Sussex) Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets O2 Academy Leicester (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets The Wardrobe (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Social (Hull) Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Oran Mor (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets The Caves (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Riverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets The Mill [Formerly Rainbow Arena] (Digbeth) Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford) Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Concorde 2 (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Apr 2021 Mystery Jets O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Apr 2021 Mystery Jets The Cambridge Junction (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Apr 2021 Mystery Jets Waterfront (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th May 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers Resorts World Arena/ NEC Arena (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th May 2021 Barry Manilow First Direct Arena (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th May 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers SSE Hydro (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st May 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers The O2 Arena (Greenwich) Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Jun 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Jun 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers Utilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jun 2021 Barry Manilow, Curtis Stigers AO Arena (formerly Manchester Arena) (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Jul 2021 Mystery Jets Brewery Arts Centre (Kendal) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Jul 2021 to Sun 25th Jul 2021 Leopallooza, Metronomy, Goldfrapp, Vistas, Oh My God! It's The Church, Kid Kapichi, Mystery Jets, Sinkane, The Mysterines, Talk Show, Do Nothing The Wyldes (Bude) Buy Tickets