Ray Harryhausen: Myths and Legends - special effects exhibition opens for summer 2010
Possibly the most forward-thinking and innovative of film-producers and special-effects wizards, Ray Harryhausen, recently opened a brand new exhibition at London's Film Museum. Entitled "Myths and Legends", the exhibition showcases the most famous creations by this remarkable contributor to modern cinema. Frankly, without Harryhausen's so-called "Dynamation" (or 'Stop-start' animation), Doctor Who might have been based in a hospital, not a time-machine surrounded by Daleks and Cybermen. OK, perhaps that's a bit glib - but it might not have been so terrifying (for its time). "Star Wars" certainly drew inspiration from the great man, who has just turned 90 (coincidentally the subject of a previous attraction here at the same venue some years back).
His key works include the films based on myths and legends, including "7th Voyage Of Sinbad", "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", "Jason and the Argonauts" and "Clash of the Titans". His creations were a mixture of 'live' action figures 'touched-up' with grim, sometimes dead scary, features and mannerisms - check out "Jason" with the sword-fighting skeletons, "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" with a city-crunching dinosaur called a Rhedosaurus and the gruesome and sinister Medusa character from "Clash of the Titans".
Many of the figures and creatures are here at this expansive display until June 2011, with tickets now on sale priced at £12.50. Please note that admission also includes one visit to the Charlie Chaplin Great Londoner exhibition being held in the same venue - bargain! Bear in mind that, from next June, the exhibits will be given a permanent home at the National Media Museum in Bradford.
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 12th Jan 2019 Ice SkatingBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 11th Jan 2019 HadestownBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 MythicBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Mon 31st Dec 2018 Warner Bros. Studio Tour - The Making of Harry PotterBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 12th Jan 2019 London Zoo - AdmissionBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 12th Jan 2019 Whipsnade Zoo AdmissionBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 11th Jan 2019 Kew GardensBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Glow WildBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Hyde Park Winter WonderlandThe Purty Kitchen (Dublin)Buy Tickets