Ooh la la - Yann Tiersen brings French passion and emotion to the UK for autumn 2010 tour
Some of you may well be familiar with the charming French comedy-drama, "Amelie", the tale of a teenager who charms everyone she meets and changes their outlook on life with her cute smile and boundless, innocent aura. The music in the film was as memorable as the plot and was written by the composer Yann Tiersen. Now you may be wondering what else the man has written - um, quite a lot actually.
He claims to have been influenced by 'post-punk' and 'new-wave', which could certainly explain song titles like "F*** Me" and moody workouts like "Western". But much of his material is also aligned with Michael Nyman, Wim Mertens and the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, utilizing the sounds of strings, piano and a good old dose of folk-music to boot. He has scored other films and plays yet has achieved fame in France through rock and pop collaborations with members of Tindersticks and Cocteau Twins. Check out the album "Les Retrouvailles" from 2005, with its eerie coda and chilling Liz Fraser vocals. You can see where bands like Broken Records get their intensity from.
His new album "Dust Lane" is due for release, supported by plenty of dates around Europe including the UK. He will play Leeds on 28th October, followed by Manchester (29th), Bristol (31st), Portsmouth (1st Nov), Oxford (2nd), Nottingham (7th), Birmingham (9th) and finally Cambridge (11th). Tickets are up now, priced £15.
Expect a mix of English and French emotional rock and pop, charged by Tiersen's electric guitar riffs and pretty arrangements.
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 SaintsenecaBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 London Jazz Festival, Remo AnzovinoPurcell Room (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 DevotchkaBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 and Fri 15th Feb 2019 Ennio MorriconeBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Federico AlbaneseBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 Nils FrahmBuy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Charlotte GainsbourgKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Bill Ryder-JonesBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 and Thu 20th Dec 2018 Glen HansardBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Massive AttackBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Feb 2019 to Sun 13th Oct 2019 Karl JenkinsBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 to Wed 27th Feb 2019 MothersBuy Tickets
- Tue 26th Feb 2019 Booker T. JonesThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Jean-Michel BlaisPurcell Room (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Mar 2019 to Sun 17th Mar 2019 Bob MouldBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Apr 2019 HauschkaMacintosh Queen's Cross Church (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Apr 2019 to Tue 16th Apr 2019 Terry RileyBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th May 2019 Ara MalikianRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets