Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu cancels July 2010 UK and European dates due to illness
Singer Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu (AKA Gurrumul) has been forced to cancel his July UK/ Europe dates due to illness it was announced on Tuesday. The blind indigenous Australian singer and musician was due to play WOMAD on 23rd July, and the Barbican (as part of Blaze) on 24th, along with Cuban singer Mayra Andrade.
In a relatively short time Gurrumul, who sings in his native Yolngu language captured the hearts (and ears) of the music world with the 2008 release of his eponymous debut album garnering multiple awards and rave reviews, including a four star review from our own Andrew Lockwood, who had this to say:
This is a fine album of rich textures, sung very beautifully, and would surely enhance any collection. If you haven't done so already give it a go, you wont regret it.
You can count on one finger the number of times that he has previously played live in this country, so it's a great shame he cannot make it. The Mayra Andrade date will now feature Trinidadian legend Calypso Rose. The event is part of the "Blaze" season taking place at the Barbican between Monday 19th and Saturday 31st July, which will feature the likes of Toots and the Maytals, Youssou N'Dour, Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba, Gilles Peterson and Roberto Fonseca, Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer, Staff Benda Bilili, Taraf De Haïdouks and many more.
More info on Blaze can be found on the mini-site: www.barbican.org.uk/blaze/whats-on
You may be interested in
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Mayra Andrade, London Jazz FestivalRich Mix Cultural Foundation (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Gilles PetersonThe Hare and Hounds Birmingham (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Gilles Peterson, Tama Sumo, New Year's Eve PartyOval Space (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 Bassekou KouyateSubterania (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Bassekou KouyateThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets