Fat Friday 1st July 2010: Shakira, Tim Minchin, The Gaslight Anthem, Amy MacDonald and more
The sunshine has thankfully made more appearances than Jake Shears' bare bottom over the past weekend, Glastonbury being a shining success, quite literally it seems. Newly-announced gigs by established names will start to ramp up as the summer progresses and this Friday is no exception, with another fat wedge of tickets available to buy or at least ponder over.
All on sale from 9am unless stated - prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing. On with your trunks, it's time to dive in!
In a change to our regular programme, we kick off with comedy and Australia's starry-eyed Robert Smith-alike, Tim Minchin. Master of the ironic and bitter comic-ballad and exceptional pianist, Minchin embarks on a headlining "Strings" tour to follow up his Festival appearances at Latitude and Sonisphere. Dates take place in December from the 8th in Birmingham, up until 18th in Nottingham, then resume in April 2010 for a couple of Scottish dates. Tickets will cost around £35 plus fees and will sell pretty damn fast. His popularity has intensified, a sure-fire gauge being an appearance on Wossy on Friday night where the discussion will no doubt touch on his "Strings" tour with full orchestra. Get in!
The Gaslight Anthem
Fancy some good old punk 'n' rock 'n' roll from the US of A? We can heartily recommend the thrashy-showmanship of the acclaimed Gaslight Anthem in that case. They're back in the UK again during the autumn - boy, they just can't stay away - with two small batches of city gigs planned, starting in London on 21st October and ending in Belfast on 22nd November. Tickets are around £16.50 (more for London) and are sure to shift quickly, especially with a new single ("Boxer") and a Leeds/Reading festival type slot coming up.
We stay with rock and a band that hasn't just got one support act to precede them, they've gone for three of them! Against Me! Is an acclaimed punk-rock outfit from Florida that released their debut in 2001, cheekily christening it "Reinventing Axl Rose". After a few more releases on Fat Wreck, they signed to a major (Sire) and settled in quickly with 2007's "New Wave", before touring and recording their new set "White Crosses". They have a raft of gigs to play from 24th Oct (Cardiff) up to 3rd Nov (London) with F*cked Up, Japanese Voyeurs and Crazy Arm in support and all for just £12.50 - £14. That's a bargain folks.
We head off to the pleasure-dome of pop and Scotland's talented songwriter Amy MacDonald. Armed with a new album "A Curious Thing" and a new single "This Pretty Face" due in July (you can watch it by going to her recent tour article), she is ready to sing her happy little heart out around the UK, starting in Manchester on 19th Oct and finishing in Nottingham on the 29th. Tickets cost £22.50 - £25. Don't forget her preceding slots in Manchester, London (iTunes Festival) and Edinburgh (Edge Festival).
Columbia's beautiful diva is back in the UK/Ireland for the run up to Christmas, with concerts in Manchester, Belfast, Glasgow, London and Dublin in December. Her London O2 date on the 20th will go on sale on Friday, with the others following next week (see article for details), suffice to say demand will be pretty high for this energetic performer. Tickets for London will be £40 plus fees.
Liverpool's exponents of "Fine Time", "Free Me" and "Flying", Cast, are all reformed and ready to play a few full-band shows in Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and London during November and December. With lead-writer and singer John Power hinting at new songs as well as renditions of their Brit-pop classics, this looks like a mouth-watering prospect for anyone who loved the sound of the mid-90s. Their 15th anniversary tickets cost £20 - £22.50.
One piece of Traffic you won't mind getting through is Mr Winwood. With an enviable catalogue stretching back to the days of the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith and working with Eric Clapton and of course his classy solo rock albums, Winwood looks set to play a few autumnal concerts in Cambridge, Bristol and London's fine Roundhouse. Tickets are around the £30 mark and with a recent compilation and box-set doing the rounds in the shops, you're sure to get a good dose of tracks from the past few decades.
The Doobie Brothers
No sooner had we announced an exclusive London date for this classic country-rock and soul outfit, then more dates appeared as if by magic. As it stands currently, The Doobie Brothers will now play in London (29th Oct), Bristol (30th), Wolverhampton (31st) and Manchester (1st Nov) with tickets costing £37.50 - £39.50 plus fees. They don't play the UK that often so demand could be high for this quartet of nights.
Just when you thought it was safe to unblock your ears, we have two metal acts you just have to see (so a few of my friends have told me anyhow).
These guys have recently announced some very special shows at the Garage in Islington and beyond. Their upcoming autumn tour will contain shows dedicated to specific albums from their catalogue. Their Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff and Leicester dates are on sale now but InMe have now added a four-show residency at the Relentless Garage, starting with 19th Nov (for "Overgrown Eden"), 25th Nov (for "White Butterfly"), 3rd Dec (for "Daydream Anonymous") and finally the 11th Dec (for "Herald Moth"). Tickets for each will cost a reasonable £12 and each concert will also feature extra songs, no doubt from the upcoming compilation planned for November.
If you really want darkness, then check this lot out. Dimmu hail from Norway and specialize in very black symphonic metal. Busy recruiting new band members doesn't seem to have phased them one bit - they have announced just one special UK date at the HMV Forum in London on 21st September. £18.50 plus fees will guarantee a pretty intense and special night. We'll keep you posted if anymore dates get announced.
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 ShakiraThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Earth Wind and Fire, George Clinton, ...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 Steve WinwoodThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Sunniside Live Festival, The Lightning Seeds, Reverend and t...Sunniside Gardens (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 CastBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Folk by the Oak, Amy MacDonald, Eliza Carthy, Julie Fowlis, ...Hatfield House (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 The Gaslight Anthem, The Flatliners, Matthew Ryan: 59 SoundBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Ocean Colour Scene, Embrace, Razorlight, Cas...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 InMe, Press To MecoRockingham Motor Speedway (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Shiiine On, Orbital, Shed Seven, Happy Mondays, Embrace, Gla...Genting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Sun 17th Feb 2019 Matilda the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Beyoncé, Jay-Z: OTR IIBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Marquis DriveThe Station - Cannock Shopping Centre (Cannock)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Love Supreme FestivalGlynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Pharoah Sanders, Leve...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sunniside Live Festival, Soul II Soul, Artful Dodger, Graeme...Sunniside Gardens (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Michael Bubl&e...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 and Sun 15th Jul 2018 BlokOut FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bruno Mars, Kh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 BlokOut Festival, FeederLocko Park (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Jules Buckley, The Herita...Plymouth Hoe (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Cool Britannia, K-Klass, Brandon Block, Rozalla, The Mariach...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Happy Mondays, The Lightning Seeds, Feeder, ...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets