Fat Friday 1st July 2010: Shakira, Tim Minchin, The Gaslight Anthem, Amy MacDonald and more
Posted: 1st July 2010
The sunshine has thankfully made more appearances than Jake Shears' bare bottom over the past weekend, Glastonbury being a shining success, quite literally it seems. Newly-announced gigs by established names will start to ramp up as the summer progresses and this Friday is no exception, with another fat wedge of tickets available to buy or at least ponder over.All on sale from 9am unless stated - prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing. On with your trunks, it's time to dive in!
Tim Minchin In a change to our regular programme, we kick off with comedy and Australia's starry-eyed Robert Smith-alike, Tim Minchin. Master of the ironic and bitter comic-ballad and exceptional pianist, Minchin embarks on a headlining "Strings" tour to follow up his Festival appearances at Latitude and Sonisphere. Dates take place in December from the 8th in Birmingham, up until 18th in Nottingham, then resume in April 2010 for a couple of Scottish dates. Tickets will cost around £35 plus fees and will sell pretty damn fast. His popularity has intensified, a sure-fire gauge being an appearance on Wossy on Friday night where the discussion will no doubt touch on his "Strings" tour with full orchestra. Get in!
The Gaslight Anthem Fancy some good old punk 'n' rock 'n' roll from the US of A? We can heartily recommend the thrashy-showmanship of the acclaimed Gaslight Anthem in that case. They're back in the UK again during the autumn - boy, they just can't stay away - with two small batches of city gigs planned, starting in London on 21st October and ending in Belfast on 22nd November. Tickets are around £16.50 (more for London) and are sure to shift quickly, especially with a new single ("Boxer") and a Leeds/Reading festival type slot coming up.
Against Me! We stay with rock and a band that hasn't just got one support act to precede them, they've gone for three of them! Against Me! Is an acclaimed punk-rock outfit from Florida that released their debut in 2001, cheekily christening it "Reinventing Axl Rose". After a few more releases on Fat Wreck, they signed to a major (Sire) and settled in quickly with 2007's "New Wave", before touring and recording their new set "White Crosses". They have a raft of gigs to play from 24th Oct (Cardiff) up to 3rd Nov (London) with F*cked Up, Japanese Voyeurs and Crazy Arm in support and all for just £12.50 - £14. That's a bargain folks.
Amy MacDonald We head off to the pleasure-dome of pop and Scotland's talented songwriter Amy MacDonald. Armed with a new album "A Curious Thing" and a new single "This Pretty Face" due in July (you can watch it by going to her recent tour article), she is ready to sing her happy little heart out around the UK, starting in Manchester on 19th Oct and finishing in Nottingham on the 29th. Tickets cost £22.50 - £25. Don't forget her preceding slots in Manchester, London (iTunes Festival) and Edinburgh (Edge Festival).
Shakira Columbia's beautiful diva is back in the UK/Ireland for the run up to Christmas, with concerts in Manchester, Belfast, Glasgow, London and Dublin in December. Her London O2 date on the 20th will go on sale on Friday, with the others following next week (see article for details), suffice to say demand will be pretty high for this energetic performer. Tickets for London will be £40 plus fees.
Cast Liverpool's exponents of "Fine Time", "Free Me" and "Flying", Cast, are all reformed and ready to play a few full-band shows in Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and London during November and December. With lead-writer and singer John Power hinting at new songs as well as renditions of their Brit-pop classics, this looks like a mouth-watering prospect for anyone who loved the sound of the mid-90s. Their 15th anniversary tickets cost £20 - £22.50.
Steve Winwood One piece of Traffic you won't mind getting through is Mr Winwood. With an enviable catalogue stretching back to the days of the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith and working with Eric Clapton and of course his classy solo rock albums, Winwood looks set to play a few autumnal concerts in Cambridge, Bristol and London's fine Roundhouse. Tickets are around the £30 mark and with a recent compilation and box-set doing the rounds in the shops, you're sure to get a good dose of tracks from the past few decades.
The Doobie Brothers No sooner had we announced an exclusive London date for this classic country-rock and soul outfit, then more dates appeared as if by magic. As it stands currently, The Doobie Brothers will now play in London (29th Oct), Bristol (30th), Wolverhampton (31st) and Manchester (1st Nov) with tickets costing £37.50 - £39.50 plus fees. They don't play the UK that often so demand could be high for this quartet of nights.
Just when you thought it was safe to unblock your ears, we have two metal acts you just have to see (so a few of my friends have told me anyhow).
InMe These guys have recently announced some very special shows at the Garage in Islington and beyond. Their upcoming autumn tour will contain shows dedicated to specific albums from their catalogue. Their Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff and Leicester dates are on sale now but InMe have now added a four-show residency at the Relentless Garage, starting with 19th Nov (for "Overgrown Eden"), 25th Nov (for "White Butterfly"), 3rd Dec (for "Daydream Anonymous") and finally the 11th Dec (for "Herald Moth"). Tickets for each will cost a reasonable £12 and each concert will also feature extra songs, no doubt from the upcoming compilation planned for November.
Dimmu Borgir If you really want darkness, then check this lot out. Dimmu hail from Norway and specialize in very black symphonic metal. Busy recruiting new band members doesn't seem to have phased them one bit - they have announced just one special UK date at the HMV Forum in London on 21st September. £18.50 plus fees will guarantee a pretty intense and special night. We'll keep you posted if anymore dates get announced.
- Tue 19th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Playhouse (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Playhouse (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back The Sage (Gateshead) Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back The Armadillo (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Playhouse (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Brighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Brighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Cliffs Pavilion (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Cliffs Pavilion (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin : Back Cliffs Pavilion (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Dec 2019 Cast : All Change O2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Dec 2019 Cast : Mother Nature Calls O2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 Cast : Magic Hour O2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jan 2020 InMe The Joiners (Southampton) Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jan 2020 InMe Cobblestones (Bridgwater) Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th Jan 2020 InMe Frog & Fiddle (Cheltenham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Jan 2020 InMe The Bunkhouse (Swansea) Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Jan 2020 Dimmu Borgir, Amorphis O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Jan 2020 InMe Redrum (Stafford) Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Jan 2020 InMe The Live Rooms (Chester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jan 2020 InMe O2 Academy Leicester (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Jan 2020 InMe The Craufurd Arms (Wolverton) Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Jan 2020 InMe Boston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington) Buy Tickets