London laughs - forget the football, catch a comedy show in the Capital, Summer 2010
Let's be honest, it isn't just the football that's peed on our chips lately is it? Stiffer taxes, higher food prices and the 127th series of "My Family" is being recorded right in the middle of runway 2 at Heathrow during peak flying-time - ah well, we can but hope. Here then is a selective guide to some of the best comedy clubs in Central London, regular or irregular, and their upcoming gigs for the next few weeks or so.
All prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Pear Shaped Comedy Club
Not surprisingly, the middle of London houses dozens of comedy clubs but the main cluster is in and around the West End and Soho environs. Just outside the cusp of Oxford Street is The Fitzroy Tavern, home to the Wednesday Pear Shaped Comedy Club which is fast gaining a worthy reputation for cheap laughs (not literally, just financially) for £5 a pop. Compeers Brian and Krysstal attempt to stop the whole thing "go tits up". Next show is on the 30th.
Just The Tonic Comedy Club
Just The Tonic Comedy Club is situated in the Leicester Square Theatre and normally resumes performances on Fridays and Saturdays, with most evenings costing a tenner or less. Will Smith (the English version) appears this coming Friday and Saturday, Andrew Bird the following weekend (9th / 10th July) and Simon Lipson (16th) and Stewart Lee (17th) during the following weekend. Click on the venue name for further scheduled appearances at this club.
Boat Show Comedy Club
If you fancy riding the high seas (oh OK, the Thames then) when having a chuckle, why not give the Boat Show Comedy Club a try? Situated near to Charing Cross BR / Embankment Tube, this floating world of comical nirvana (it's a boat) holds its performances on Fridays and Saturdays with four comedians, four bars and food available. The next night is on Saturday 3rd July for just £12.50.
For something a little more niche, try the 'straight-friendly' world of Comedy Camp, based in the Barcode venue on Shaftsbury Avenue. Every Tuesday the very best in gay and straight comedians hit the mic including Zoe Lyons and Nick Revell (tomorrow evening), Shazia Mirza and Simon Happily on the 6th and Jo Caulfield and Robin Ince on the 13th. Tickets cost from £8, a bargain in anyone's world.
The London Comedy Club
Finally, Cheeky Chappies might sound like a shop that sells baby-grows and three-wheeled buggies in Richmond, but was in fact a comedy club based at the Thistle Hotel in Coventry Street. Now it hosts the more obviously-named The London Comedy Club from Wednesday to Sunday every week and brings you a line-up that includes award-winning comedians, 3 for 2 drinks AND free admission to a selected nightclub in the area. Click on the link for further details.
We will feature clubs in the outer regions of London very soon! Happy clicking.
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Just The Tonic Comedy ClubThe Comedy Loft (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 Just The Tonic Comedy ClubThe Comedy Loft (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 Just The Tonic Comedy ClubThe Comedy Loft (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Just The Tonic Comedy ClubThe Comedy Loft (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Apr 2018 Just The Tonic Comedy ClubThe Comedy Loft (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Professor Brian Cox, Robin InceEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 JimeoinLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Barnum, Marcus BrigstockeBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 and Sun 4th Mar 2018 Stand-up/ Comedy NightBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 King's Head Comedy Variety CabaretBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 Richard Herring: Leicester Square Theatre PodcastBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 Outside the Box Comedy ClubBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 Laughing Horse Comedy ClubBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Funny Women Stand UpThe Betsey Trotwood (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Natalie Imbruglia, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed, Joy Crookes, Fundrai...: Ethiopiad FundraiserBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Free Comedy in HammersmithBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 Nathan CatonThe Aeronaut (Acton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Alun Cochrane: Alunish CochranishLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Andrew Lawrence: Happy AccidentLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Carl BarronEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 and Sat 10th Mar 2018 Hampstead Comedy ClubBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Live at the Chapel, Henning WehnUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 Stand Up For Shelter, Shappi Khorsandi, Paul Chowdhry, Mo Gi...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 Jon Richardson: Old ManBeck Theatre (Hayes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Sat 10th Mar 2018 Jonathan PieBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Sat 10th Mar 2018 Seann WalshBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 Reginald D HunterChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 James AcasterBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)More Info..
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 Sara PascoeCamden Head (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 John Robins: The Darkness of RobinsLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)More Info..
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 An Evening with: Rob SchneiderLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 Bridget Christie100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 Josie LongShacklewell Arms (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Danielle Ward, Matthew CrosbyThe Phoenix - Cavendish Square (Westminster)Buy Tickets