Never mind the coalition, here's Yes, Prime Minister - political satire takes to the stage for 4-months for 2010/ 2011
Margaret Thatcher was a useful PM in the end - she inspired many writers and musicians to take out their vitriol on her, directly or indirectly, at a time when politics started to mean something after the three-day weeks and power-cuts suffered in the 70s. "Spitting Image", Rory Bremner and Ben Elton all had plenty of comical repartee and down-right mickey-taking to get out of their collective systems. However, in the 80s, there was a far more subtle entity on TV that made fun of government without direct reference to any particular allegiance.
"Yes, Minister" starred the late Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne (now a 'Sir') as the beleaguered Rt. Hon Jim Hacker and his crafty Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby respectively. Add in the observant bystander to all of the scheming, Bernard Woolley, and you have the pre-cursor to today's successful "The Thick of ot" minus the cussing. Sharp scripts written by Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn and expert production by Sydney Lotterby, made this a must-see, normally for Humphrey's ridiculously long-winded and blustered speeches.
30 years after the first episode was aired, Jay and Lynn have now written a new script for the stage production of its sequel, "Yes, Prime Minister". Jim Hacker is now PM and forced to try and outwit Humphrey at all costs, much to his own disapproval. For this stage performance, the excellent David Haig, who also appeared in "The Thick of it" as Steve Fleming, plays Hacker and becomes embroiled in dodgy dealings with the Middle East, with Humphrey and Bernard looking on (and stirring up trouble as usual).
Tickets are now on sale for this show, which will start its run at the Gielgud Theatre on 17th September and continue until 15th January 2011. Prices start at £13.50, rising to £56.45 for the best seats. After seeing this, you'll probably wonder where the current government got their ideas from...
You may be interested in
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Fri 28th Sep 2018 Young FrankensteinBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 The JungleBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 Pressure [David Haig]Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Fri 17th Aug 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 Silk Road (How to Buy Drugs Online)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 SpamiltonBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 to Thu 13th Sep 2018 51 Shades of MaggieBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Secret Affair, The Truth [play], The Truth [Dennis Greaves]The Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 Early Doors LiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Charley's AuntBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Taking StepsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Duncan Reid and the Big Heads, Billy Liar, Mr ShirazThe New Cross Inn (New Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 to Tue 11th Sep 2018 Funny MoneyBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Private Parts LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Mon 12th Nov 2018 The Wipers TimesBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 The Addams FamilyBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Tue 6th Nov 2018 Bridget Jones' Diary In Concert - Film With Live OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Mark ThomasArcola Theatre (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Withering LooksCygnet Theatre (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Michael PortilloWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets