World Cup Weekend Whopper 11th-14th June 2010: Athlete, Less Than Jake, Pixie Lott, Wu-Tang Clan and more
It isn't just Friday with the bulging pockets this week, there are also tickets going on sale across the weekend, hence our zany headline. So as you get prepared for the weeks of football, arguments and news-flashes of England fans being robbed of their dignity (or their Rolex watches), thoughts turn to post-World Cup entertainment in the form of some good old gigs - well, new gigs then. All tickets on sale Friday at 9AM unless otherwise specified.
Deptford's finest returned to the fray with a new EP late last year, entitled "Black Swan" and taken from the album of the same name. In 2010 they have "The Getaway" ready for release in the summer and with it an extensive UK tour. Beginning in Liverpool on 16th November and ending in Birmingham on 4th December, it sees the Mercury-nominated quartet cover most of the UK, with the possibility of further new material being added to hits like "Wires", "El Salvador", "Beautiful" and "Half Light". Tickets are around £16.50 and go on sale at 9.30am, Friday.
Less Than Jake
If the rumours on Wackypedia are anything to go by, it appears this long-running ska-punk-hardcore outfit have started their own label AND bought the rights to their previously issued material - no mean feat when you consider that Capitol, Fat Wreck and Sire have all dabbled with the previous releases. LTJ are working on a new album, but meanwhile have announced a new UK tour, beginning in Oxford on 4th November, taking in 9 more cities before landing in Edinburgh on the 18th. There's a London show at the Forum on the 8th. Tickets will cost £15 (or £16.50 for London) and are on sale from Monday 14th at 9am.
"Turn It Up" urges the blonde-bombshell and who are we to disagree with that advice? Her fifth single from the debut album hasn't quite set the charts alight, but Lott has 'legs' for a while longer with the announcement of a lengthy UK tour which covers Glasgow as a starter (24th November), Hammersmith as a main (7th December) and Manchester as the closing dessert on 18th Dec. 15 other dates make up the tour with tickets costing £25.85 upwards - note the date homecoming date in Brentwood on 28th Nov, this'll fly out! Tickets are on sale Saturday 12th at 9am.
The Staten Island ('Shaolin')-crew are back with a vengeance and a few planned solo albums, supported by just two shows in the UK, the first in Manchester on 3rd August, the second in Brixton on the 4th. The original line-up of RZA, GZA, Raekwon, Inspectah Deck, Method Man, U-God, Masta Killa and Ghostface Killah have all been busy little solo bees since the last Wu album in 2007 ("8 Diagrams"), but Raekwon, GZA and Method Man have solo work due for release, the most interesting being "Liquid Swords 2" by GZA. It remains to be seen how these shows pan out, but tickets are on sale Friday at 9am, priced at £29.50 / £32.50.
As far away from G-rap as you can possibly get is Suzanne Vega, a soothing singer-songwriter famous for "Tom's Diner", "Luka" and "Blood Makes Noise" (just recently covered by Anna Domino). Very much a product of the 80s, her timeless songs have stayed with her fans for the past 30 years or so and she makes a return to these shores with a new acoustic album resume of earlier works, plus a UK tour in June. Vega has added two new dates which go on sale on Friday, these being in Oxford on 12th July and Bournemouth on the 13th, both costing £18.50.
Feisty-foursome armed with jangly psychedelic-pop tunes sounds good to me and you might just like The Like as well. Five new UK dates have just been announced and go on sale on Friday for Nottingham (5th Sep) to the ICA London (15th Sep) at the bargain-price of just £7.50. I reckon The Like are a name to remember and you can judge for yourself when their second-album "Release Me" hits the shops on Monday. The quartet have just signed with Universal's Downtown offshoot and a single with the same name is released on the same day.
A legend for probably a few reasons he'd like to forget about as well as his landmark musical output, Steve Earle returns to the UK for just one date in Cardiff at the city's St David's Hall on 7th September. Having recently appeared on David Byrne and Fatboy Slim's recent "Here Lies Love" project and become a father via his new squeeze, country-singer Alison Moorer, Steve's new-era is shaping up nicely with his last album "Townes", bang on the money. He recently performed some American-folk classics by John Henry for a US radio station so expect a few of these to sneak into the Welsh set. £24.50 is the price and tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am.
And finally ...
Other interesting new-sales come from London-rapper Professor Green, the man who has breathed some life into an old INXS track ("I Need You Tonight") and has a new album "Alive Till I'm Dead" ready to go, featuring Lily Allen. The single reached number 3, so you can bet his new tour will sell keenly. It begins on 8th Oct in Cambridge and ends in London (at KOKO) on the 19th.
Guitarist and songwriter from the 70s, Nils Lofgren, is also playing a concert tour in October from the 12th to 24th with a London date at the tasty Cadogan Hall.
And don't forget Manchester duo Hurts are also out-and-about in October with a tour starting in Brighton, finishing in London and calling at Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol in-between.
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Professor GreenElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Feb 2019 Professor GreenThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 Professor GreenO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 Professor GreenKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 Professor GreenCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Feb 2019 Professor GreenGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Feb 2019 Professor GreenThe Wardrobe (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 Professor GreenO2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 Professor GreenThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Deacon Blue: To Be Here SomedayBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 Woman To Woman, Judie Tzuke, Beverley Craven, Julia FordhamBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Midland [US]Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Alela DianeUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Sunflower BeanBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Lee Ainley's Blues Storm, Eliana CargneluttiBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 Nothing But ThievesBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 'A', Wheatus, InMe: Hi-Fi SeriousBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Therapy?Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Courtney BarnettBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 Interpol, Nilüfer YanyaBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 Dashboard ConfessionalBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Bad TouchRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 MattielThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 King NunBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 You Me At SixBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 The Dead Daisies, Massive Wagons: Welcome to DaisylandBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 Lil Pump: Harverd Drop OutBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Obie TriceThe Corporation (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Jade BirdBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Leyla McCalla, London Jazz FestivalCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 BLOXXBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Belinda Carlisle, Thompson TwinsBonus Arena (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 and Wed 21st Nov 2018 Seasick SteveBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 Natty: Man Like I - 10th anniversaryBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 and Wed 21st Nov 2018 Cam PennerBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 and Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Basement, Joyce ManorBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Mon 26th Nov 2018 Skam, THEIA [UK]Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 The VirginmarysBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 TrampoleneBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 JayKaeBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Sunflower Bean, Miya FolickThe Wardrobe (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 Nashville PussyBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Dan PatlanskyBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 The Wandering HeartsBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Nerina PallotNational Centre for Early Music [NCEM] (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Yung LeanO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Paul Draper: AcousticBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Dan StuartBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Wed 28th Nov 2018 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 ReefBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 808INKBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 ArkellsBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Thu 22nd Nov 2018 The CoralBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Ben PooleBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Fri 23rd Nov 2018 BasementBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Mr B The Gentleman RhymerBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Mon 26th Nov 2018 You Me At Six, Marmozets, The Xcerts: Take Off Your ColoursBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Alfa MistThe Hare and Hounds Birmingham (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 Wayward SonsBuy Tickets