Iron & Wine set to shine its beam across the UK - from the end of the road to a converted concregation, September 2010
Posted: 10th June 2010
The genre Americana is a curious beast - I suppose it best describes US artists who frequently use traditional country-music instrumentation, but refrain from warbling about rounding up cattle or women (or both). So if you 'get' Lambchop, Calexico, Bright Eyes, Sun Kil Moon, Wilco, Gram Parsons and Avett Brothers, you'll certainly already be worshipping at Samuel Beam's feet already. Otherwise known as Iron and Wine, his music is rather special and worth seeing.
If you aren't aware of his plaintive harmonious country-rock hybrid, you have just three chances to catch him live this year. Or you could pick up one of his albums, I recommend "The Shepherd's Dog" personally.
All of his UK dates fall in September, starting with an appearance at the End of the Road Festival 2010 in Dorset on the 11th, after which he heads off to Leeds Howard Assembly Room on the 12th and Islington's splendid Union Chapel on the 14th. Tickets for the two later gigs cost £13.50 (Leeds) or £16 (London). End Of The Road tickets are still available at £134.50 for a weekend camping ticket.
Although there appears to be no brand-new Iron & Wine album on the horizon, his last release in 2009 was a collection of rarities entitled "Around The Well", a double set that included a few curious covers by Stereolab, New Order, Flaming Lips and Postal Service.
- Mon 18th Nov 2019 Calexico, Iron & Wine Usher Hall (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Nov 2019 Calexico, Iron & Wine The Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Nov 2019 Calexico, Iron & Wine The Bridgewater Hall (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Calexico, Iron & Wine Warwick Arts Centre (Coventry) Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Nov 2019 London Jazz Festival, Calexico, Iron & Wine Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth) Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Nov 2019 Calexico, Iron & Wine De La Warr Pavilion (Sussex) Buy Tickets