Grunge and grease - Kurt's heroes, Mudhoney and The Vaselines announce Autumn UK tours and tickets
Posted: 8th June 2010
It isn't often we gel two separate tours together in the same article, unless it's a spot of the old Fat Friday or The Week Ahead of course. But here we have two very influential bands that one Kurt Cobain got considerable inspiration from. They have also toured together and share the same record-label, Sub-Pop.
Mudhoney Their recent album "Lucky Ones" slipped under the radar a bit in 2008, but the band are keen to soldier on with it, plus their back catalogue successes. At ATP in New York, for example, they are due to replay "Superfuzz Bigmuff", a true-landmark of an album that pre-empted the so-called grunge-scene by a good few Alice In Chains riffs. Now they are set to play a few Ireland dates before heading to Newcastle (4th Oct), Brighton (5th), Camden (6th), Leeds (7th), Aberdeen (8th) and finally Glasgow on the 9th. Tickets are on sale now at around £15. Blisteringly good value for a legendary band.
The Vaselines Less well-known, but no less important, are Edinburgh's The Vaselines who formed in the mid-80s and released two fine EPs containing songs that were to adorn Nirvana albums during their short-lived world-domination. "Son Of A Gun" and "Molly's Lips" ended up on "Incesticide" whilst the rather lovely "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam" appeared on the million-selling "MTV Unplugged" set.
The quintet are back on the road in September with a handful of dates in Leeds (17th), Cardiff (19th), Nottingham (20th), Bristol (21st), London Scala (22nd) and Manchester on the 23rd. All tickets are available now EXCEPT the Scala gig - this goes on sale at 10am tomorrow (9th). Tickets are £10 - £12.50 and sure to fly out.
Teenage Fanclub And we couldn't leave you without mentioning the wondrous Teenage Fanclub, another Cobain favourite. Apart from their nearly-sold out date at Shepherd's Bush (a few box office collection tickets are still available), they have been confirmed to play the Galway Festival on 22nd July. Oh and their new album is rather good - check out our review!
- Sat 12th Sep 2020 Mudhoney Electric Ballroom (Camden) Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Sep 2020 Mudhoney O2 Ritz (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th Sep 2020 Mudhoney SWG3/ Galvanizers (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Sep 2020 Mudhoney O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Oct 2020 The Vaselines The Cumberland Arms (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Music Hall (Aberdeen) Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub The Ironworks (Inverness) Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Usher Hall (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Barrowland Ballroom (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Beckett University (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Leadmill (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub O2 Institute (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Anson Rooms - University of Bristol (Clifton) Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Wedgewood Rooms/ Edge of the Wedge (Southsea) Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Chalk (formerly the Haunt) (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub The Belfast Empire Music Hall (Belfast) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Nov 2020 Teenage Fanclub Dublin Academy [1/2/ Green Room] (Dublin) Buy Tickets