Bo selecter! The Beat and Pauline Black from the Selecter celebrate 2-Tone anniversary in Bloomsbury, Autumn 2010
2010 marks the anniversary of a music-movement that turned into a socio-political comment, back in the late 70s. The advent of Two-Tone as a proper label in 1980 strengthened the belief that music is one colour, made by many colours - and it released an enviable catalogue to strengthen this statement. The Specials are the obvious band that come to mind when discussing the label, after all Jerry Dammers formed it in the first place, but two further acts had their fair share of fine singles and at least one album in their armoury. The Beat and The Selecter's names were not the first to be scrawled across my school-jotter or scratched onto the back of my Texas calculator in 1980, but they were one of the few bands I would keep playing 'on my radio' if they came on.
The Beat were fronted by the comparatively pretty Dave Wakeling and backed-up by Ranking Roger who was the energy and the focal point for the rude-boys in the audience. Hits such as "Tears of a Clown", the exemplary "Mirror In The Bathroom" and "Hands Off She's Mine" all came from one top-notch album, "I Just Can't Stop It", and you can see the whole thing performed in its entirety on 9th October at the Bloomsbury Theatre for the princely sum of £25 plus fees. This is a one-off gig and part of the ongoing 30-year anniversary, celebrating Two-Tone landmarks.
Make your selection: Pauline Black or The Selecter
Fans of The Selecter have two reasons to rejoice, or two reasons to be upset. The first is Pauline black and the second is The Selecter. Why? Well, both acts are going to be playing London gigs in the coming months, but unfortunately they'll be playing separately.
Being played at same venue as The Beat gig on 13th November, is the performance of "Too Much Pressure" by Pauline Black from the Selecter. Heavy on ska-influence, this cheeky debut contained the super singles "Missing Words" and "Three Minute Hero" and gave them a Top 5 Album Chart placing. Although the even-bigger tune, "On My Radio" missed the cut for the final track-listing, I am sure they'll give it, and their debut single track "The Selecter", a spin on the night. Again, tickets cost £25 plus fees.
Featuring founder member, guitarist Neol Davies, The Selecter, complete with a new male lead singer and all-female horn section will play a return gig at Hoxton's Bar and Kitchen on 29th July. Tickets cost just £15 and are on sale now.
Don't forget your pork-pie hat!
You may be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2019 The Vamps: Four CornersThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)More Info..
- Mon 27th May 2019 Jam on Rye, Kelis, Jazzie B, Omar, Greentea Peng, Barney Art...Peckham Rye Park (Peckham)More Info..
- Wed 29th May 2019 to Wed 24th Jul 2019 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventMore Info..
- Thu 30th May 2019 and Fri 31st May 2019 From the Jam, Bruce Foxton, Russell HastingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Jazzie BThe Old Queen's Head (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Live at Chelsea, Toto, The DarknessThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 and Mon 26th Aug 2019 House of Common: MadnessBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Peter Hook and the Light, Manchester Camerata: Joy Division OrchestratedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 Blue OrchidsWater Rats (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Robbie William...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Citadel Festival, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Rag N Bone Man,...Gunnersbury Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Pub in the Park, Clean Bandit, Stereo MCs: Evening SessionChiswick House (Chiswick)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Gunnersville, The Specials, Ocean Colour Scene, General Root...Gunnersbury Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Sep 2019 Pub in the Park, Soul II Soul, Texas: Evening SessionChiswick House (Chiswick)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 New Hope ClubO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 Therapy?, Jim Bob, Utah Saints, Back to the PlanetO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 Alice Cooper, The Stranglers, MC50: Ol Black Eyes Is BackThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 J.P. CooperHeaven (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 From the JamWalthamstow Assembly Hall (Walthamstow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 The RiflesRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 The Skints, Bedouin SoundclashElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 Lisa StansfieldRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 HoneybloodThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Twisted WheelBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Nov 2019 The Selecter: 40th AnniversaryO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Nov 2019 The Darling BudsThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Nov 2019 From the Jam, Bruce Foxton, Russell Hastings, The VaporsIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 Bad Manners, Max Splodge, SplodgenessaboundsUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Shed Seven, The Twang: ShedcemberO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Dec 2019 Shed SevenO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Dec 2019 The Darkness: Easter is CancelledRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Mar 2020 The AlarmElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th May 2020 An Evening with: Peter Hook and the Light - Joy Division - A CelebrationO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets