Bo selecter! The Beat and Pauline Black from the Selecter celebrate 2-Tone anniversary in Bloomsbury, Autumn 2010
2010 marks the anniversary of a music-movement that turned into a socio-political comment, back in the late 70s. The advent of Two-Tone as a proper label in 1980 strengthened the belief that music is one colour, made by many colours - and it released an enviable catalogue to strengthen this statement. The Specials are the obvious band that come to mind when discussing the label, after all Jerry Dammers formed it in the first place, but two further acts had their fair share of fine singles and at least one album in their armoury. The Beat and The Selecter's names were not the first to be scrawled across my school-jotter or scratched onto the back of my Texas calculator in 1980, but they were one of the few bands I would keep playing 'on my radio' if they came on.
The Beat were fronted by the comparatively pretty Dave Wakeling and backed-up by Ranking Roger who was the energy and the focal point for the rude-boys in the audience. Hits such as "Tears of a Clown", the exemplary "Mirror In The Bathroom" and "Hands Off She's Mine" all came from one top-notch album, "I Just Can't Stop It", and you can see the whole thing performed in its entirety on 9th October at the Bloomsbury Theatre for the princely sum of £25 plus fees. This is a one-off gig and part of the ongoing 30-year anniversary, celebrating Two-Tone landmarks.
Make your selection: Pauline Black or The Selecter
Fans of The Selecter have two reasons to rejoice, or two reasons to be upset. The first is Pauline black and the second is The Selecter. Why? Well, both acts are going to be playing London gigs in the coming months, but unfortunately they'll be playing separately.
Being played at same venue as The Beat gig on 13th November, is the performance of "Too Much Pressure" by Pauline Black from the Selecter. Heavy on ska-influence, this cheeky debut contained the super singles "Missing Words" and "Three Minute Hero" and gave them a Top 5 Album Chart placing. Although the even-bigger tune, "On My Radio" missed the cut for the final track-listing, I am sure they'll give it, and their debut single track "The Selecter", a spin on the night. Again, tickets cost £25 plus fees.
Featuring founder member, guitarist Neol Davies, The Selecter, complete with a new male lead singer and all-female horn section will play a return gig at Hoxton's Bar and Kitchen on 29th July. Tickets cost just £15 and are on sale now.
Don't forget your pork-pie hat!
You may be interested in
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 to Wed 17th Oct 2018 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventMore Info..
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Toots and the Maytals, The English Beat feat. Dave Wakeling,...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Everything EverythingThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Katie MeluaBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, The SkintsBirthday's (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Nina NesbittOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Star Shaped Festival, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, Echob...O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Hot Dub Time MachineO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 The Rifles: Singles TourO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Suede, The HorrorsEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Collapsed LungThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 Becky HillElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Jack MaynardO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Brix and the ExtricatedDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Back to the PlanetThe New Cross Inn (New Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Abdoujaparov100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 BisThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 From the Jam: All Mod ConsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 The AlarmStudent Central [ULU] (Bloomsbury)On SaleMon 20th Augat 9am
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 All SaintsEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Rhoda Dakar100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Katie Melua, Gori Women's ChoirMethodist Central Hall/ Great Hall (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Madness, The Fratellis: The Sound of MadnessThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Bad Manners, Max Splodge, Splodgenessabounds229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Jan 2019 Enter ShikariO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 Legend - Tribute To Bob MarleyChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 UB40: For The ManyRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 The Vamps: Four CornersThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets