Bo selecter! The Beat and Pauline Black from the Selecter celebrate 2-Tone anniversary in Bloomsbury, Autumn 2010
2010 marks the anniversary of a music-movement that turned into a socio-political comment, back in the late 70s. The advent of Two-Tone as a proper label in 1980 strengthened the belief that music is one colour, made by many colours - and it released an enviable catalogue to strengthen this statement. The Specials are the obvious band that come to mind when discussing the label, after all Jerry Dammers formed it in the first place, but two further acts had their fair share of fine singles and at least one album in their armoury. The Beat and The Selecter's names were not the first to be scrawled across my school-jotter or scratched onto the back of my Texas calculator in 1980, but they were one of the few bands I would keep playing 'on my radio' if they came on.
The Beat were fronted by the comparatively pretty Dave Wakeling and backed-up by Ranking Roger who was the energy and the focal point for the rude-boys in the audience. Hits such as "Tears of a Clown", the exemplary "Mirror In The Bathroom" and "Hands Off She's Mine" all came from one top-notch album, "I Just Can't Stop It", and you can see the whole thing performed in its entirety on 9th October at the Bloomsbury Theatre for the princely sum of £25 plus fees. This is a one-off gig and part of the ongoing 30-year anniversary, celebrating Two-Tone landmarks.
Make your selection: Pauline Black or The Selecter
Fans of The Selecter have two reasons to rejoice, or two reasons to be upset. The first is Pauline black and the second is The Selecter. Why? Well, both acts are going to be playing London gigs in the coming months, but unfortunately they'll be playing separately.
Being played at same venue as The Beat gig on 13th November, is the performance of "Too Much Pressure" by Pauline Black from the Selecter. Heavy on ska-influence, this cheeky debut contained the super singles "Missing Words" and "Three Minute Hero" and gave them a Top 5 Album Chart placing. Although the even-bigger tune, "On My Radio" missed the cut for the final track-listing, I am sure they'll give it, and their debut single track "The Selecter", a spin on the night. Again, tickets cost £25 plus fees.
Featuring founder member, guitarist Neol Davies, The Selecter, complete with a new male lead singer and all-female horn section will play a return gig at Hoxton's Bar and Kitchen on 29th July. Tickets cost just £15 and are on sale now.
Don't forget your pork-pie hat!
You may be interested in
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 BisThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 From the Jam: All Mod ConsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 Everything EverythingO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 The AlarmStudent Central [ULU] (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 Michael McIntyre, Jo Brand, Katherine Ryan, Josh Widdicombe,...: Christmas Charity ShowEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)More Info..
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 All SaintsEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Rhoda Dakar100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Katie Melua, Gori Women's ChoirMethodist Central Hall/ Great Hall (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball, Ellie Goulding, Halsey, Rita Or...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 The RiflesBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventCharing Cross Hospital (Hammersmith)More Info..
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Madness, The Fratellis: The Sound of MadnessThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 and Mon 31st Dec 2018 Bad Manners, Max Splodge, SplodgenessaboundsBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Jan 2019 Enter ShikariO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Neville StapleThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 Legend - Tribute To Bob MarleyChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 Becky HillElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 The Stranglers: Back on the TracksO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 Stiff Little FingersO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Apr 2019 Ward Thomas: Restless MindsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 UB40: For The ManyRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd May 2019 The Undertones, Neville StapleElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th May 2019 The Horrors: Primary ColoursRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th May 2019 and Fri 17th May 2019 The SpecialsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 All Points East, Chemical Brothers, Hot Chip, Primal Scream,...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 The Vamps: Four CornersThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Peter Hook, Manchester Camerata: Joy Division OrchestratedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets