Fat Friday 4th June 2010 - Roger Waters, Diversity, PiL, Manics, Interpol and many more
Well, have we got a line-up for you! With more cheeky moves, hip wiggles and the odd dummy, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we were going to assess the England squad. Pah! No chance - this is Fat Friday where our super-squad below have been selected for their skills, techniques and (as Alan Hansen might say) 'gret un duterminashun'. And not one of them with a World Cup anthem to sing.
All tickets on sale here at 9AM, unless otherwise specified - click on the images, below for ticket availability, or scroll down for the full event listing.
The Pink Floyd classic, "The Wall", receives a timely new reading next year when a certain Mr Waters presents all two hours of it at the O2 Arena (11th, 12th and 17th May 2011), the MEN Arena (20th, 21st May) and now the Dublin O2 (23rd May). Remixed and given a new backdrop and animation sequences by Gerald Scarfe, this is truly going to be the gig of the new decade. 9am, tomorrow, poised by the phone - that's you, that is. Prices start at £67.25 (Ireland is €59.80) which might make you feel 'comfortably numb', but this IS going to be some concert (the sheer scale of it as well).
Talking of phenomena, young fidgets Diversity are sweeping the nation with their infectious energy and all-round good gal-n-guy image and fair play to them. They have announced a decent-sized UK tour in December, as announced in our news-piece yesterday, eager to bring you the coolest moves from the world of modern street-dancing, just in time for Christmas (well, they say 'shop early'). A lot of their dates tend to sell out so if you are thinking of presents for the family, check them out. Onsale at Saturday 10am. [on-sale date now moved to Saturday 5th June- Ed]
Manic Street Preachers
James Dean Bradfield and co head out for a lengthy old traipse across the length and breadth of the UK in the autumn, supporting their upcoming new album "Postcards From A Young Man". You have to admire their passion for deciding on so many gigs with barely a chance to catch their collective breaths. Glasgow is the first stop on 29th Sep, Cambridge is the last on 1st Dec with no less than 20 other gigs in between, including two at Brixton's Academy (28th / 29th Oct). £26.50 plus a fee or two - bob's your uncle, Kevin Carter's your dad.
Public Image Ltd. [PiL]
John Lydon's beloved PiL continue their resurgence, certainly in a 'live' capacity, with a string of gigs in the UK during July. Concentrating on mid-range venues, they kick off in London at the Shepherd's Bush Empire on the 19th and continue to Bristol (20th), Oxford (21st), Leeds (23rd), Liverpool (24th) and finally Glasgow on the 26th. It will be the band's first visit to a few of those towns so don't hang about deciding whether to go - you just have to go. They were top-notch back in December (in Leeds and Brixton) and it's good to see them playing the excellent West London venue this time around. £27.50 is the asking price.
Another revered band, this time from the States, is Interpol. Their blend of melancholy and embittered alt-rock, post-punk or whatever other label you can think of, has garnered endless press-praise and fan-fanaticism alike - "NYC (New York Kiss" is still a cracking song 10 years after its original release (give or take). Seven nights in December should convince you - try saying the following mantra to yourself, "I really must go and see Interpol", over and over. You'll need around £22.50 to make your dream come true.
At first glance this seems a curious pairing, but scoff not - both of these bands mean a damn sight more than just the dreaded 'B' word. 'Baggy' was a risible term at best, but some of the great songs that kick-started that scene, also kick-started a few band's careers, not least The Charlatans. They sold-out the Roundhouse gigs in pretty quick time and, with Happy Mondays / Black Grape geezer Shaun Ryder as a deserved support act, they may well do the same again with their autumn tour. Two new dates in Edinburgh and Dundee have just been added to the long list, both costing £23.50. If you get a chance to see Tim Burgess and the boys at V, do so.
If you thought Shaun Ryder had a few problems during his chequered past, check this boy out. His most recent was a horrific life-changing motorbike accident, which some say could have finished him off. Personally, I reckon the bigger tragedy was the Soft Cell remixes project, but it's good to see Almond back on his feet and finally penning some new material, his first on a decade. Three new headline gigs have just been added to his autumn tour with Leeds (22nd Nov), Birmingham (28th) and Shepherd's Bush (2nd Dec) now part of the package, all around the £25 mark (plus the usual fees).
This young synth-pop act managed to sell-out his Shepherd's Bush gig back in March. Otherwise known as Adam Young, the hit single "Fireflies" seems to have struck a chord with the networking-generation, but the real test will be some new material and a new project under the name, Sky Sailing. You'll get a chance to hear both I would imagine when Owl City returns to the UK for a few dates in November in Birmingham (17th), Newcastle (19th), Leeds (21st) and Hammersmith (23rd). Tickets are priced at £22.50.
And finally ...
Other notable tickets include everyone's favourite political commentator and song-writing 'bloke', Billy Bragg, back to present his own election trail in December. Two new gigs have been confirmed in Nottingham (2nd) and Preston (4th), priced at £18.
Reef also hit the road again, not too long after a couple of outdoor stints in Cornbury and Newton Abbot. They visit Truro (26th November), Portsmouth (27th), Kentish Town Forum (2nd Dec), Wolverhampton (3rd) and Nottingham (4th), possibly with some new material in tow. Tickets are £25.75 or less.
Oh, and a certain Lady GaGa has an O2 Arena date booked for 16th December - mind you, you might have to mortgage your shed - tickets are £56.25! [She's also just added a third date at Dublin's O2 Arena for 29th October - tickets on sale now, starting at €54.80 - Ed].
- Mon 6th May 2019 to Wed 15th May 2019 Marc AlmondBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th May 2019 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 Cardiff Sounds of the City: Manic Street Preachers - This is My Truth Tell Me YoursBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th May 2019 to Fri 31st May 2019 Manic Street Preachers, Gwenno: This is My Truth Tell Me YoursBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 All Points East, The Strokes, The Raconteurs, Interpol, John...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 Neighbourhood Weekender, Richard Ashcroft, The Vaccines, Sla...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 to Wed 26th Jun 2019 InterpolBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 NOS Primavera Sound, Interpol, James BlakeParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Bon Jovi, Manic Street Preachers: This House is Not For SaleBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2019 Sunday Sessions: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Charlatans, Reverend...Powderham Castle (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 to Tue 3rd Dec 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Splendour, Manic Street Preachers, The Specials, Rag N Bone ...Wollaton Park/ Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, Marc Almond, Immodesty BlaizeEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 Let's Rock Liverpool, The Human League, Tony Hadley, Marc Al...Croxteth Country Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Let's Rock Belfast, Billy Ocean, Tony Hadley, Marc Almond, T...Boucher Playing Fields (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2019 and Sat 24th Aug 2019 Reef, Castell RocBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Aug 2019 The Charlatans, Deacon Blue, KT Tunstall, Midge Ure, DJ Crai...Linlithgow Palace/ The Peel (West Lothian/Linlithgowshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Hardwick Live, Manic Street Preachers, The ZutonsHardwick Park (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 and Sun 25th Aug 2019 ReefBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Diversity: Born ReadyBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Nov 2019 Let's Rock - The Retro Winter Tour, Tony Hadley, Marc Almond...Motorpoint Arena (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Dec 2019 Let's Rock - The Retro Winter Tour, Tony Hadley, Marc Almond...SSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Let's Rock - The Retro Winter Tour, Tony Hadley, Marc Almond...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sun 21st Apr 2019 Justin MoorhouseBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Magic Mike LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Fame the MusicalRegent Theatre/ Britannia Suite (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Fri 26th Apr 2019 CollabroBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sun 28th Apr 2019 Robert White [comedian]: The Tank Top TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Fleetwood BacDe Valence (Tenby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sun 21st Apr 2019 Love from Stourbridge 2019: Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Pop Will Eat Itself, Miles HuntBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Big Girls Don't CryGrand Theatre (Swansea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Richard AshcroftBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Headsticks, Interrobang, Steve IgnorantThe Maze - Forest Tavern (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sun 21st Apr 2019 Eden's CurseBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Tue 30th Apr 2019 Lost Voice GuyBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Only ShadowsBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Massive WagonsManchester Academy (Manchester)More Info..
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sun 21st Apr 2019 DreadzoneBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sun 28th Apr 2019 Tom Paxton and the Donjuans: Tom PaxtonBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Tue 30th Apr 2019 The Specials: 40th anniversaryBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 The RiflesThe Mash House (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Mon 22nd Apr 2019 Dream StateBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Mon 29th Apr 2019 Papa Roach, Nothing More: Who Do You Trust?Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Sleaford ModsBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Circa WavesBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sun 28th Apr 2019 SuedeBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 RepublicaEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 The Ukrainians, The Wedding PresentBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sat 27th Apr 2019 Ian McNabbBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 This Feeling, Hands Off GretelBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Wed 24th Apr 2019 The Burning HellBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 AnterosKey Club (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Tue 23rd Apr 2019 Teenage Werewolves, Mutant MovementBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sun 21st Apr 2019 AntibalasBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 IdlewildBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 BLOXXGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Sun 21st Apr 2019 DPA-WDC AL European ChampionshipsBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Leftfield - DJ SetThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 APREThe Boileroom (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 Chay SnowdonThe Junction (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Broken HandsBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Burn the FloorBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 and Thu 25th Apr 2019 Midge UreBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Aziz IbrahimBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 VicFest: Brightlight CityThe Victoria [The Vic] (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 to Thu 25th Apr 2019 Rufus Wainwright: All These PosesBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Dropkick MurphysBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 DJ Craig CharlesThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 The NightingalesNewhampton Arts Centre (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 CastNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 Wales Goes Pop!, Tracyanne and Danny, Estrons, Go Kart Mozar...The Gate - Roath (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 to Sun 28th Apr 2019 Indian QueensBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 Alias KidIndiependence (Wigan)Buy Tickets