Fat Friday 4th June 2010 - Roger Waters, Diversity, PiL, Manics, Interpol and many more
Well, have we got a line-up for you! With more cheeky moves, hip wiggles and the odd dummy, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we were going to assess the England squad. Pah! No chance - this is Fat Friday where our super-squad below have been selected for their skills, techniques and (as Alan Hansen might say) 'gret un duterminashun'. And not one of them with a World Cup anthem to sing.
All tickets on sale here at 9AM, unless otherwise specified - click on the images, below for ticket availability, or scroll down for the full event listing.
The Pink Floyd classic, "The Wall", receives a timely new reading next year when a certain Mr Waters presents all two hours of it at the O2 Arena (11th, 12th and 17th May 2011), the MEN Arena (20th, 21st May) and now the Dublin O2 (23rd May). Remixed and given a new backdrop and animation sequences by Gerald Scarfe, this is truly going to be the gig of the new decade. 9am, tomorrow, poised by the phone - that's you, that is. Prices start at £67.25 (Ireland is €59.80) which might make you feel 'comfortably numb', but this IS going to be some concert (the sheer scale of it as well).
Talking of phenomena, young fidgets Diversity are sweeping the nation with their infectious energy and all-round good gal-n-guy image and fair play to them. They have announced a decent-sized UK tour in December, as announced in our news-piece yesterday, eager to bring you the coolest moves from the world of modern street-dancing, just in time for Christmas (well, they say 'shop early'). A lot of their dates tend to sell out so if you are thinking of presents for the family, check them out. Onsale at Saturday 10am. [on-sale date now moved to Saturday 5th June- Ed]
Manic Street Preachers
James Dean Bradfield and co head out for a lengthy old traipse across the length and breadth of the UK in the autumn, supporting their upcoming new album "Postcards From A Young Man". You have to admire their passion for deciding on so many gigs with barely a chance to catch their collective breaths. Glasgow is the first stop on 29th Sep, Cambridge is the last on 1st Dec with no less than 20 other gigs in between, including two at Brixton's Academy (28th / 29th Oct). £26.50 plus a fee or two - bob's your uncle, Kevin Carter's your dad.
Public Image Ltd. [PiL]
John Lydon's beloved PiL continue their resurgence, certainly in a 'live' capacity, with a string of gigs in the UK during July. Concentrating on mid-range venues, they kick off in London at the Shepherd's Bush Empire on the 19th and continue to Bristol (20th), Oxford (21st), Leeds (23rd), Liverpool (24th) and finally Glasgow on the 26th. It will be the band's first visit to a few of those towns so don't hang about deciding whether to go - you just have to go. They were top-notch back in December (in Leeds and Brixton) and it's good to see them playing the excellent West London venue this time around. £27.50 is the asking price.
Another revered band, this time from the States, is Interpol. Their blend of melancholy and embittered alt-rock, post-punk or whatever other label you can think of, has garnered endless press-praise and fan-fanaticism alike - "NYC (New York Kiss" is still a cracking song 10 years after its original release (give or take). Seven nights in December should convince you - try saying the following mantra to yourself, "I really must go and see Interpol", over and over. You'll need around £22.50 to make your dream come true.
At first glance this seems a curious pairing, but scoff not - both of these bands mean a damn sight more than just the dreaded 'B' word. 'Baggy' was a risible term at best, but some of the great songs that kick-started that scene, also kick-started a few band's careers, not least The Charlatans. They sold-out the Roundhouse gigs in pretty quick time and, with Happy Mondays / Black Grape geezer Shaun Ryder as a deserved support act, they may well do the same again with their autumn tour. Two new dates in Edinburgh and Dundee have just been added to the long list, both costing £23.50. If you get a chance to see Tim Burgess and the boys at V, do so.
If you thought Shaun Ryder had a few problems during his chequered past, check this boy out. His most recent was a horrific life-changing motorbike accident, which some say could have finished him off. Personally, I reckon the bigger tragedy was the Soft Cell remixes project, but it's good to see Almond back on his feet and finally penning some new material, his first on a decade. Three new headline gigs have just been added to his autumn tour with Leeds (22nd Nov), Birmingham (28th) and Shepherd's Bush (2nd Dec) now part of the package, all around the £25 mark (plus the usual fees).
This young synth-pop act managed to sell-out his Shepherd's Bush gig back in March. Otherwise known as Adam Young, the hit single "Fireflies" seems to have struck a chord with the networking-generation, but the real test will be some new material and a new project under the name, Sky Sailing. You'll get a chance to hear both I would imagine when Owl City returns to the UK for a few dates in November in Birmingham (17th), Newcastle (19th), Leeds (21st) and Hammersmith (23rd). Tickets are priced at £22.50.
And finally ...
Other notable tickets include everyone's favourite political commentator and song-writing 'bloke', Billy Bragg, back to present his own election trail in December. Two new gigs have been confirmed in Nottingham (2nd) and Preston (4th), priced at £18.
Reef also hit the road again, not too long after a couple of outdoor stints in Cornbury and Newton Abbot. They visit Truro (26th November), Portsmouth (27th), Kentish Town Forum (2nd Dec), Wolverhampton (3rd) and Nottingham (4th), possibly with some new material in tow. Tickets are £25.75 or less.
Oh, and a certain Lady GaGa has an O2 Arena date booked for 16th December - mind you, you might have to mortgage your shed - tickets are £56.25! [She's also just added a third date at Dublin's O2 Arena for 29th October - tickets on sale now, starting at €54.80 - Ed].
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 Shaun RyderEpic Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Apr 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 Manic Street Preachers, The Coral: Resistance is FutileBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Apr 2018 to Fri 18th May 2018 ReefBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Reef, The Wildhearts, Terrorvision: The Britrock Must Be Destroyed!Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 In The Park Festival, Marc Almond, Heaven 17, Big Minds, Abs...Garon Park (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Long Division Festival, Billy Bragg, King Creosote, Charlott...Various Wakefield Venues (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Forest Live, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Billy BraggBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Electric Summer: a-ha, Marc Almond, Thompson Twins - Tom BaileyHuish Park Stadium [Yeovil Town FC] (Yeovil)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 to Sat 7th Jul 2018 Roger Waters: Us and ThemBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 TRNSMT, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Blossoms, Nothing But Thie...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 ErasureBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 StompBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Hell is for Heroes, 'A', Vex Red: The Neon HandshakeBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlindersBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 8th Mar 2018 Paul DraperBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Circus of HorrorsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 AlvvaysBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 GalantisOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Dead!Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Seal: The Standards TourBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Gun OutfitBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Franz Ferdinand: Always AscendingBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Don BrocoBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 7th Mar 2018 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 DreamgirlsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Mar 2018 The XcertsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Rodney P, Skitz, Harry Shotta, Children of ZeusJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Dream StateBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Hamell On TrialThe Caroline of Brunswick (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Remake RemodelBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Paul Weller, The StrypesBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Jonathan PieBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 The Classic Rock ShowBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 Richard Alston DanceNew Theatre (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Brian Fallon and the Howling Weather: Brian Fallon, Dave HauseBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 British Sea PowerConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 MorrisseyBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 BilalJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 RedFacesBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 and Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Howie PayneBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Beats on PointeBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 Jason Donovan: Amazing Midlife CrisisBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Big CountryBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Brendan ColeBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Mar 2018 Anton & ErinBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 The Brit AwardsThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 James Acaster, Fin Taylor100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Daliso ChapondaBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 and Wed 28th Feb 2018 Zara McFarlaneBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 and Fri 23rd Feb 2018 KelelaBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 Fizzy BloodBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Thu 8th Mar 2018 Shit Indie Disco ThursdaysBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 and Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Fears ChellaBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 DUDSTom Thumb Theatre (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 StereophonicsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 David Devant & his Spirit Wife100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Solomon GreyBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Sam FenderBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 The GodfathersBuy Tickets