London Summer laughing - Top comedy gigs for the sunny 2010 season ahead
You've got to laugh, haven't you? Well, that's it - you HAVE to laugh every now and again. Ash clouds, Dave and Nick together, Blackpool beating Cardiff and the end of "Over The Rainbow" (finally) - it wouldn't be Britain without the absurd or the unlikely and London wouldn't be the capital without a comedy evening to escape to (unless you count the Jubilee Line on a Sunday night). There are some cracking nights coming up and providing the new government doesn't ban smiling, chuckling or p!ssing yourself, you'd be well advised to check a few of these out.
All prices + booking fees. For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Let's start with the Union Chapel and what is possibly the best line-up and the best value evening we've seen in ages. For £16 (and a small fee) you can witness The Office and Extras award-winning Stephen Merchant, wirey-limbed Bristol-dynamo Russell Howard, one-half of Lee and Herring and "Jerry Springer - the opera" writer Stewart Lee, Chris Morris-collaborator and Jam-actor Kevin Eldon (think back to the "4ft Car" sketch - yeah, that's him) and top-grump and MC Arthur Smith. The date is 5th June. You've gotta get clicking for that one! Irish mini-keyboard and surrealist David O'Doherty also appears at the Union Chapel, this time on the 19th June - he's definitely worth a click as well (£15)
Kevin Eldon and Arthur Smith - two of the above Union Chapel performers appear solo soon - If you fancy seeing Arthur Smith curmudgeon his way around a stage on his own, you can catch him at the Lord Rookwood in lovely Leyton this Friday for £10 - click online sharpish though, Smith is quite a draw these days after his TV appearances on "Grumpy Old Men". The versatile Kevin Eldon is also staying the capital for a few summer gigs, one of which is with Stewart Lee (hang on, there's a connection here) - he plays solo at the Hen & Chickens on 11th and 12th July and with Lee at the Chapel Bar on the 13th - be warned though, Eldon WILL be 'titting about' for just £6.50.
Everyone's favourite pub landlord and chat show-host, Al Murray begins a four-night residency at Chiswick's George IV smack bang in the middle of a nationwide crawl. He entertains the punters in West London (no doubt making a few quips about the pub-grub served in that area - carrot batons with a tzatziki and cumin aioli etc) on the following June Wednesdays - 2nd, 9th, 23rd and 30th. Now, this is no ordinary Murray session - it's a pub-quiz (of sorts) and to quote the blurb "Compete For The Meat - win a frozen chicken!". The evenings form part of his Edinburgh Fringe warm-up schedule (click on his name to see other non-London dates). The Chiswick nights are £5.
Frank Skinner and David Baddiel, or Baddiel and Skinner if we're being fair and equal - which is precisely what this duo WON'T be for this special World Cup South Africa Send-Off Party, in association with Absolute Radio's podcast series. They will bicker and banter with themselves and the audience about, mostly, football and their undying belief that England really won't get players sent off, injured or rogered by the Argentinians in the final 16 this time around. As well as comedy from the two lions, Keane and the third lion Ian Broudie (I think we can guess what the encore will be) will provide the music. This all takes place at the Shaftsbury Lyric Theatre in the West End on 7th June - tickets cost from £23.30 (including fees) and if you miss out on tickets, listen to the simultaneous podcasts being broadcast on Absolute's website (not quite the same as being there though).
This satirical young man will be 'in the thick of it' during the summer months with two nights at the Bloomsbury Theatre on 10th June and 10th July. Tickets cost £17.50 and will sell fast - Addison has been featuring on a lot of chat and discussion shows over the Election period, offering insightful satire aimed fairly and squarely at our politicians. But, since 1995, our Chris has been a mainstay at the Edinburgh Fringe with Perrier-nominated shows such as "Civilization" and "Atomicity" (the latter of which was adapted for a Radio 4 broadcast) - that's when he's not being a panellist on TV quiz-shows of course.
Never one to shirk from a challenge (such as crossing the globe to find other Dave Gorman's and indulging in a spot of Googlewhacking), Dave Gorman has just completed a national tour. Yeah, and? Ok, he played 33 gigs in 33 nights. Hmmm, whatever? Right - he cycled 1500 miles around Britain in 33 days and played a stand-up gig at the end of every day. Happy now? Although the show will continue (minus the cycling bit, he must have a right sore arse to be fair), he has opted to film it for posterity (and his own sanity I imagine). On Monday 12th July, you have the chance to be in the Bloomsbury Theatre audience during the filming for his imminent DVD release, "Sit Down, Pedal, Pedal, Stop and Stand Up" (and possibly 'Apply Cream'). Tickets for attendance are £18.50.
Despite his creator being diagnosed with cancer recently, Chris Sievey continues to bring his crazy, goggle-eyed treasure Frank Sidebottom out of Timperley for the occasional gig (normally with John Cooper Clarke - see dates below). But, there is only one thing on Frank's (and Little Frank's) huge bulbous mind - football. The Lexington will host the show "White Light - Frank Sidebottom and Friends World Cup Extravaganza". The word 'extravaganza' tells you all you need to know about the night - the usual Frank bumflufferies and anarchy, duty-bound to ensue. It doesn't clash with any decent football matches, falling on 25th June. Plus, get this - three members of Scritti Politti are in his backing band, the Oh Blimey Big Band. In true time-honoured tradition, the price for tickets is as daft as his act - £7.82. Really. Go, you'll wet yourself. A lot.
She may be teeny-sized but, boy, can she pack a chuckle-some punch. Lucy Porter has a few dates around the country, including a few sell-outs, finally concluding in London's Palmer's Green (my old manor, as it goes). The Fox (Electric Mouse Productions, no less) will play host to her smiley yet sharp-witted humour that will also feature Benny Boot and Gary Colman on the bill. Tickets are a bargain £7, a fair price to pay for comedy in North London I reckon. Her recent show, "The Bare Necessities", was a huge success.
Edinburgh Festival Preview
Finally, it's that time of year when half of the capital's comedy clubs surrender to the practice of warming-up our favourite comedians, no doubt convincing some of them that they should maybe cancel that ticket to Scotland later in the year - yes folks, the Edinburgh Fringe looms like a big lumbering moose with a party-hat on each horn. There are dozens of gigs coming up but the pick of the bunch includes Isy Suttie at the Kensal Green Paradise (2nd June - £5), Russell Kane at the Hammersmith Grove (13th June - £5) and Reginald D. Hunter at the Rich Mix (16th July - £10).
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 Dave Gorman: With Great Powerpoint Comes Great ResponsibilityPointRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 Dave Gorman: With Great Powerpoint Comes Great ResponsibilityPointRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Al MurrayLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 Dave GormanRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Apr 2019 Lucy PorterLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 Anthony JeselnikLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Alan Carr, Rob BeckettBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 to Fri 14th Sep 2018 Marcel LucontBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 DJ YodaJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Kevin HartBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Live at the Chapel, Tom AllenUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Daniel CainerGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Alan Carr, Romesh RanganathanCutty Sark (Greenwich)More Info..
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Kevin Bridges: The Brand New TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 Nish Kumar, Fin Taylor100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 DJ Greg WilsonJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Squeeze, The Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, Corin...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 The ReflexJamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Paloma Faith, De La Soul, Corinne Bailey Rae, ...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Sep 2018 to Wed 10th Oct 2018 Bridget ChristieBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Rob Delaney, Zoe Lyons, Fin Taylo...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, James Acaster, Nish Kumar, Suzi R...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 to Wed 19th Sep 2018 Omid DjaliliBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, David O'Doherty, Tim Key, Aisling...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Garbage, Dream WifeO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Rachel ParrisLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Milton Jones, Shappi Khorsandi, S...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Ed Byrne, Nina Conti, Ivo Graham,...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Reginald D Hunter, Jayde Adams, G...National Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 The House and Garage Orchestra, DJ Luck and MC NeatJamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Adam Buxton: Bug XNational Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 Greenwich Comedy Festival, Russell Howard, Ed GambleNational Maritime Museum (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Mon 24th Sep 2018 Alan Carr, Josh WiddicombeBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Mon 8th Oct 2018 Richard Herring: Leicester Square Theatre PodcastBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Nina NesbittOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 Alfie MooreLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 Pale WavesO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Dave SpikeyLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Craig CampbellLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 Sara PascoeRichmond Theatre (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 Hollie CookScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 Danny BakerBeck Theatre (Hayes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 Michael McIntyre: Big World TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Chris TuckerEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Oct 2018 Reginald D Hunter, Simon BrodkinThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 Jason ManfordChurchill Theatre (Bromley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 and Thu 11th Oct 2018 Pam AnnBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Lee NelsonLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets