Celebrated playwright Willy Russell returns with stage versions of Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine for Summer 2010
One of the UK's most revered playwrights, Willy Russell, has himself been quiet of late but there has been plenty of theatrical activity in London during the past few months, including the highly-regarded Willy Russell-season held at the Menier Choclate Factory earlier this year. Due to the success of the new productions of his two most-celebrated works, "Educating Rita" and "Shirley Valentine", they are both moving together to the London Trafalgar Studios for a continued run until October.
"Educating Rita" will begin its run at its new home from 8th July while "Shirley Valentine" begins on 20th July. Both end on the 30th October and tickets are now on sale, priced from £30.
"Educating Rita" has previously been a successful film starring Michael Caine and Julie Walters, and for this performance Laura Dos Santos and Tim Pigott-Smith play the parts of the frustrated hairdresser desperate for an education and the disillusioned tutor who attempts to better 'Rita's' future. "Shirley Valentine" has also previously been adapted for the silver-screen (with Pauline Collins) but for this fresh and hilarious new adaptation, Meera Syal takes up the title role of the middle-aged housewife, stuck in a rut and desperate for a holiday. Her best friend takes her to Greece and suddenly life is sweet. Both plays have been critically-acclaimed by Time Out and the Daily Telegraph - and we like the sound of them as well.
Russell's other famous work is "Blood Brothers" and it just so happens that this musical about two brothers whose life-paths take different turns, is playing at the Phoenix Theatre until 27th November. The two men both fall for the same woman and, not surprisingly, the troubles begin. Tickets for this show start at £55. The touring production is also playing at the White Rock in Hastings from 19th to 24th July (£19 - £29) and the Hippodrome, Birmingham between 11th and 23rd October (£22 - £37.50).
You may be interested in
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 The Wipers TimesBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Summer And SmokeBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Heathers The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Tue 29th Jan 2019 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Tue 29th Jan 2019 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Sun 27th Jan 2019 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Cuckoo [Lisa Carroll]Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Tue 29th Jan 2019 True West [West End]Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Kiki DeeKingskerswell Parish Church (Newton Abbot)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Blood BrothersBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Thu 20th Dec 2018 Love Actually with Live OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Sat 5th Jan 2019 The Messiah [Patrick Barlow]Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Kiki Dee, Carmelo LuggeriSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Tue 22nd Jan 2019 The BodyguardBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Chasing BonoBuy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Oliver!The Plowright Theatre (Scunthorpe)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Christmas with Steptoe and SonBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Dec 2018 A Night At the MusicalsRegent Theatre/ Britannia Suite (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Jan 2019 to Tue 29th Jan 2019 Abigail's PartyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Mon 28th Jan 2019 The Cripple of InishmaanBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 Hancock's Half HourRichmond Theatre (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets