Fat Friday 21st June 2010: Gorillaz, Ellie Goulding, LostProphets, Funeral for a Friend, Bowling for Soup and many more on sale
Well, the Coalition is in place, the ash-cloud has sort of settled back down again and the sun appeared 'live' earlier this week. Does this mean that summer is hovering around the corner? Could be, and with our updated Festival guide, thoughts are surely turning to open-air madness! Mind you, concert halls, venues, nightclubs and music-pubs are also busier than ever and, looking at this week's Fat Friday (should that read Fab Friday?) it's not hard to see why. Cop a load of this lot (all go on sale at 9am unless stated):
Everyone's favourite animated scamps get real and get physical with a welter of gigs in September, including a double-dip at the O2 Arena on the 14th and 15th. The magnificent seven dates are sure to be the hottest tickets of the week, especially as the only other way of seeing Damon Albarn and his monkeys is at the Secret Garden Party in late July or at Spain's Benicassim Festival! This UK jaunt is called the "Escape to Plastic Beach Tour", roughly coinciding with the recent similarly-named album released last month and a further single-release.
This young lady has already chalked up two milestones with a Critics Choice win at the BRITS and top of the Sound Of 2010 poll on the BBC, and it looks like a third milestone is on the horizon - Most Festival Appearances By A Solo Artist Award. I make it nine so far and to prove the young vocalist is deadly serious about the music career, she is playing double that amount of headlining gigs across the country from 28th October (Newcastle) to 28th November (Belfast) - tickets are around £17 - £19. Her new single "Guns and Horses" hit the shops on Monday.
Pontypridd's famous sons are set to play the Reading and Leeds festivals later this year - what a set that promises to be. Their recent single "For He's A Jolly Good Felon" was their 15th, surely reason enough to wheel out a singles-collection. Funny you should say that, because their label has already earmarked a 'best-of' for later this year, which may explain the excitement surrounding two new dates announced for Glasgow during August (23rd / 24th). Does this mark the start of a tour, we wonder? If you cannot wait that long, there are a few tickets left for their Wolverhampton date this Friday (21st).
Funeral for a Friend
More hefty Welsh rock, this time from FFAF. In fact, faffing is something the band hasn't been doing - they've been working on their new album and recruiting a new guitarist since the departure of Darren Smith earlier this year. The band are certainly looking forward now that their 'best-of' album has had its run (entitled "Your History Is Mine", it stalled at #86 - I guess their fans have it all already). Two July gigs have been confirmed, one in Cardiff on the 22nd and one in Shepherd's Bush on the 23rd with possibly more dates to be announced as soon as the new axe-man is installed (unless they are turning into a synth-pop band - yeah, right).
Imperial Never Say Die! Tour 2010
If you prefer to see a big pile of upcoming bands under one roof then check out the above shindig. Promising to be a riot of noise provided by bands from all over the world, including Aussie-metallers Parkway drive, Californicators Bleeding Through and Canadian hardcore outfit Comeback Kid, the tickets are dirt cheap at around £14 - and that's for several bands on the bill. C'mon!
Ah, it seems like only yesterday that the dulcet tones of Fred Durst were wafting across the radio-airwaves with the classic(!) "We're rollin'-rollin'-rollin'-rollin'-rollin'". The band really 'was' MTV for a while and now they return, armed with a new album (called "Goldcobra", due in the summer) and the original line-up (baseball-caps back to front, natch). The new set could be a return to their early "Three Dollar Bill" and "Significant Other" releases in the late 90s - we'll have to see, the new single is called "Douchebag". The band are playing Leeds Festival, Dublin and now Glasgow on 26th August - surely a potential sell-out.
Masquerading as the band Renegades doesn't seem to have damaged Feeder's chances of creativity. In fact, the boys have been working on a possible pair of albums for release later this year, with "Renegades" due to appear in June. Seeing as we have a swathe of October tickets going on sale this Friday, I suspect that next album might just appear at around the same time. They play from 21st October (Leeds) until 31st (Southampton) (the former, plus Bristol and London are on sale now). Check below for the full monty. "Call Out" is expected to be a single-release on 14th June, by the way.
Bowling for Soup
"Girl All The Bad Guys Want" is one of Bowling For Soup's most popular songs, as is "1985". But if you want lyrical genius (am I being a little sarcastic here?) you have to select "My Wena", for obvious reasons. Right now in 2010 though, you need to get a grip (pardon the pun) because BFS return to these shores with a dozen or so dates from 7th October (Bristol) to 20th October (Liverpool), via Shepherd's Bush on the 12th. With new material currently being worked on by the lads, you'll be assured of a few new numbers throughout the evening plus a few favourites sprinkled on top. In fact, you can catch them at Wireless (2nd July), a short stint of July dates followed by the Relentless NASS Fest in Somerset on the 9th July.
Doctor Who Live
Apart from Foals heading out on tour (already covered in an earlier article this week), there are some memory-joggers on offer as well with the already-mentioned The Psychedelic Furs, the warlock of psychedelia Julian Cope and a heap of extra dates for the Queen spectacular, "We Will Rock You". But the one tour that will have you screaming and hiding behind the sofa for is (cue fearsome whiny music) the "Doctor Who Live" stage show. Our Stewart wrote about it earlier this week (he even wore a special scarf and hat to do it) - make sure you don't miss out on the good seats. I wonder if they are installing sofas ...
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Shed Seven, Feeder, Ten Tonnes, The Corre...Cheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 GorillazMalahide Castle (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursO2 Academy Leicester (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, The Psychedelic Furs, The Church [Aus]Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursO2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 BlokOut Festival, FeederLocko Park (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Gorillaz, Cigarettes After Sex, Seasick Ste...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Happy Mondays, The Lightning Seeds, Feeder, ...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Shiiine On, Orbital, Shed Seven, Happy Mondays, Embrace, Gla...Genting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 Pub in the Park, Jamie Cullum, The MilkBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 David Baddiel: My Family: Not The SitcomBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Someone Like You - The Adele SongbookLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 This Morning LiveThe NEC - National Exhibition Centre (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Reef, The Wildhearts, Terrorvision: The Britrock Must Be Destroyed!Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 The BluetonesEpic Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Wed 23rd May 2018 Nina NesbittBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 School Of Rock The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 and Thu 24th May 2018 Boot Led ZeppelinBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 The Big Moon, Yonaka, Mellow Gang, Turnover, Bully, Anna Bur...Brudenell Social (Leeds)More Info..
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Dawn of the Superheroes - The DC Comic StoryBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 God is an AstronautManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 and Fri 25th May 2018 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Teddy [show]Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Just FloydRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Faith - The George Michael LegacyConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 and Mon 21st May 2018 Snail MailBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 and Mon 21st May 2018 Langhorne SlimBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 As It IsBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Avi BuffaloBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Rollin' StonedThe Limelight 1/2 (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Pub in the Park, Will Young, KT Tunstall, The RiflesHigginson Park - Marlow (Buckinghamshire)More Info..
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Amanda PalmerOpen (Norwich)More Info..
- Sun 20th May 2018 Lene LovichThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 WickedBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Legally BlondeBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Sally MorganBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Machine Head: CatharsisBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Flashdance - The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Bryan Adams: The Ultimate TourBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 BullyBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Chicago the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 The Phantom of the OperaBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Les MisérablesBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Wreckless EricBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Gaz CoombesBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Mamma Mia!Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 The Magic NumbersThe Bullingdon/ Haven (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 PVMNTSBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Chali 2na, Krafty KutsBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Wed 23rd May 2018 Car Seat HeadrestBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 INK.Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 Peter OrenThe Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 and Tue 22nd May 2018 Rolling Blackouts Coastal FeverBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 Melanie CBoisdale of Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Wed 23rd May 2018 Ten Tonnes, BBC Introducing...Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 CoCo and the ButterfieldsBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Tragedy - A Metal Tribute to the Bee GeesBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Tom ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Liam Gallagher: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets