Fat Friday 21st June 2010: Gorillaz, Ellie Goulding, LostProphets, Funeral for a Friend, Bowling for Soup and many more on sale
Well, the Coalition is in place, the ash-cloud has sort of settled back down again and the sun appeared 'live' earlier this week. Does this mean that summer is hovering around the corner? Could be, and with our updated Festival guide, thoughts are surely turning to open-air madness! Mind you, concert halls, venues, nightclubs and music-pubs are also busier than ever and, looking at this week's Fat Friday (should that read Fab Friday?) it's not hard to see why. Cop a load of this lot (all go on sale at 9am unless stated):
Everyone's favourite animated scamps get real and get physical with a welter of gigs in September, including a double-dip at the O2 Arena on the 14th and 15th. The magnificent seven dates are sure to be the hottest tickets of the week, especially as the only other way of seeing Damon Albarn and his monkeys is at the Secret Garden Party in late July or at Spain's Benicassim Festival! This UK jaunt is called the "Escape to Plastic Beach Tour", roughly coinciding with the recent similarly-named album released last month and a further single-release.
This young lady has already chalked up two milestones with a Critics Choice win at the BRITS and top of the Sound Of 2010 poll on the BBC, and it looks like a third milestone is on the horizon - Most Festival Appearances By A Solo Artist Award. I make it nine so far and to prove the young vocalist is deadly serious about the music career, she is playing double that amount of headlining gigs across the country from 28th October (Newcastle) to 28th November (Belfast) - tickets are around £17 - £19. Her new single "Guns and Horses" hit the shops on Monday.
Pontypridd's famous sons are set to play the Reading and Leeds festivals later this year - what a set that promises to be. Their recent single "For He's A Jolly Good Felon" was their 15th, surely reason enough to wheel out a singles-collection. Funny you should say that, because their label has already earmarked a 'best-of' for later this year, which may explain the excitement surrounding two new dates announced for Glasgow during August (23rd / 24th). Does this mark the start of a tour, we wonder? If you cannot wait that long, there are a few tickets left for their Wolverhampton date this Friday (21st).
Funeral for a Friend
More hefty Welsh rock, this time from FFAF. In fact, faffing is something the band hasn't been doing - they've been working on their new album and recruiting a new guitarist since the departure of Darren Smith earlier this year. The band are certainly looking forward now that their 'best-of' album has had its run (entitled "Your History Is Mine", it stalled at #86 - I guess their fans have it all already). Two July gigs have been confirmed, one in Cardiff on the 22nd and one in Shepherd's Bush on the 23rd with possibly more dates to be announced as soon as the new axe-man is installed (unless they are turning into a synth-pop band - yeah, right).
Imperial Never Say Die! Tour 2010
If you prefer to see a big pile of upcoming bands under one roof then check out the above shindig. Promising to be a riot of noise provided by bands from all over the world, including Aussie-metallers Parkway drive, Californicators Bleeding Through and Canadian hardcore outfit Comeback Kid, the tickets are dirt cheap at around £14 - and that's for several bands on the bill. C'mon!
Ah, it seems like only yesterday that the dulcet tones of Fred Durst were wafting across the radio-airwaves with the classic(!) "We're rollin'-rollin'-rollin'-rollin'-rollin'". The band really 'was' MTV for a while and now they return, armed with a new album (called "Goldcobra", due in the summer) and the original line-up (baseball-caps back to front, natch). The new set could be a return to their early "Three Dollar Bill" and "Significant Other" releases in the late 90s - we'll have to see, the new single is called "Douchebag". The band are playing Leeds Festival, Dublin and now Glasgow on 26th August - surely a potential sell-out.
Masquerading as the band Renegades doesn't seem to have damaged Feeder's chances of creativity. In fact, the boys have been working on a possible pair of albums for release later this year, with "Renegades" due to appear in June. Seeing as we have a swathe of October tickets going on sale this Friday, I suspect that next album might just appear at around the same time. They play from 21st October (Leeds) until 31st (Southampton) (the former, plus Bristol and London are on sale now). Check below for the full monty. "Call Out" is expected to be a single-release on 14th June, by the way.
Bowling for Soup
"Girl All The Bad Guys Want" is one of Bowling For Soup's most popular songs, as is "1985". But if you want lyrical genius (am I being a little sarcastic here?) you have to select "My Wena", for obvious reasons. Right now in 2010 though, you need to get a grip (pardon the pun) because BFS return to these shores with a dozen or so dates from 7th October (Bristol) to 20th October (Liverpool), via Shepherd's Bush on the 12th. With new material currently being worked on by the lads, you'll be assured of a few new numbers throughout the evening plus a few favourites sprinkled on top. In fact, you can catch them at Wireless (2nd July), a short stint of July dates followed by the Relentless NASS Fest in Somerset on the 9th July.
Doctor Who Live
Apart from Foals heading out on tour (already covered in an earlier article this week), there are some memory-joggers on offer as well with the already-mentioned The Psychedelic Furs, the warlock of psychedelia Julian Cope and a heap of extra dates for the Queen spectacular, "We Will Rock You". But the one tour that will have you screaming and hiding behind the sofa for is (cue fearsome whiny music) the "Doctor Who Live" stage show. Our Stewart wrote about it earlier this week (he even wore a special scarf and hat to do it) - make sure you don't miss out on the good seats. I wonder if they are installing sofas ...
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 FeederThe Engine Shed/ Platform (university of Lincoln) (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 FeederWilliam Aston Hall - Glyndwr University [NEWI] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfUniversity of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfBarrowland Ballroom (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfO2 Academy Leeds (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfO2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 Feeder: Best OfO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 FeederOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 FeederThe Limelight 1/2 (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Teddy Rocks, Feeder, Mallory Knox, Eliza and the Bear, Devil...Charisworth Farm - Blandford (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Baxter Dury, The Beat, Nina Nesbitt, Feed...Cheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Shed Seven, Feeder, Ten TonnesCheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 GorillazMalahide Castle (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursO2 Academy Leicester (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 The Psychedelic FursO2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Happy Mondays, The Lightning Seeds, Feeder, ...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Paul Weller, The StrypesBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Viva MorrisseyThe Con Club (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Alien Ant FarmRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 The Classic Rock ShowBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 The GodfathersBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Gun OutfitBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Hed P.EBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Mon 19th Feb 2018 John Cooper ClarkeMore Info..
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 The XcertsBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 Think FloydBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 BorisGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 King 810Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Special Kinda MadnessDublin Castle (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 KelelaBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Dream StateBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 The AtarisBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Money for NothingBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 RedFacesBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 The Bar-Steward Sons of Val DoonicanRotherham Trades Club (Rotherham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 and Tue 20th Feb 2018 BilalBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 School Of Rock The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Flashdance - The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 WickedBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Electric SixBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Mamma Mia!Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 The Rat Pack Live from Las VegasBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Jive Talkin' perform the Bee GeesArainn Fhinn/ The Fingal Centre (Isle of Skye)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 The Phantom of the OperaBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Les MisérablesBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlindersBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Paul DraperBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Dead!Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 The Style CouncillorsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Franz Ferdinand: Always AscendingBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Baxter DuryMore Info..
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Don BrocoBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Free ThrowBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 and Tue 20th Feb 2018 Amenra, BorisBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Rodney P, Skitz, Harry Shotta, Children of ZeusJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 Little Mix ExperienceVictoria Hall (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 BRITs Week: Ed Sheeran, War ChildIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 Kendrick LamarWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 and Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Brian Fallon and the Howling Weather: Brian Fallon, Dave HauseBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 Howie PayneUnity Theatre (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Feb 2018 Sally MorganBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 The Brit AwardsThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 and Thu 22nd Feb 2018 SikthBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 What's the StoryBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 ToploaderO'Neill's Soho (Westminster)Buy Tickets