The Big Chill 2010 gets bigger, not chillier: Thom Yorke, Hope Sandoval and Tinariwen join incredible line-up
Well, it was a little over a month ago that our very own Solange was getting all faint over the line up for The Big Chill 2010. Massive Attack, MIA, Plan B, Kelis, Roy Ayers and Dam-Funk are a pretty tasty bunch to consider seeing. But get this, BC-fans - the buggers have only gone and added another ridiculously enticing fistful of big yet eclectic names to the roster of dreams. It all happens on 5th to 8th August, tickets are still available (£155 adult weekender, £120 student weekender, £60 teen weekender and £4 kids weekender) so read on.
Thom Yorke. I mean, come on - the guy doesn't even get out of bed anymore for anything less than amazing and who can blame him? This is a real coup for Big Chill - his "Eraser" set surpassed many people's expectations with its skittering beats and glitchy music, not forgetting THAT forlorn voice. Gotta be worth considering now hasn't it, the Big Chill?
OK, how about a few more acts? Hope Sandoval, ex-Mazzy Star icon whose very presence causes grown men to weep into their shandies and use their sandwiches as hankies. She has an unearthly voice and a back-catalogue of sorrowful paeans and poems, mostly co-written with David Roback her partner in 'the Mazzy'.
Further favourites now confirmed include Tom Middleton, whose Global Communication outfit partly inspired the whole chill-out scene of the 90s (and this very festival) with the landmark "76:14" album becoming a fixture in most people's poorly-erected tents and smoke-filled living-rooms.
Metronomy is another electronic ensemble straight out of the West Country - their name has been bandied about since 1999, but it's only through the album "Nights Out" and remix work for Zero 7, Klaxons and Goldfrapp that they have recently been given props.
Tinariwen complete the newbie line-up with sounds straight from the Tuareg, bringing their special brand of Sahara-rock to the fields of Eastnor.
Other personal highlights include Appleblim (tectonic house 'n' dubstep star on the rise), Alice Russell (velvet-tonsilled nu-soul), Breakage (old-skool drum 'n' bass-stepper), DJ Derek (he's over 60 but he loves dub, roots and lover's rock, yay!), Greg Wilson (Haccy legend and cut 'n' paste splice-meister), Kruder and Dorfmeister (downbeat kings), Port Isaac's Fisherman's Friends (shanty-singers, get in!) and Brian's brother Roger Eno, the man who composed one of the greatest ambient albums in "Voices".
I knew you'd like that line-up... and the news gets better for Glade Festival ticket holders...
Glade Festival Ticket Exchange!
With this week's announcement that Glade 2010 has been cancelled, those lovely Big Chilly people have announced a ticket exchange scheme:
Any festival goers who purchased full price Glade Festival tickets via Ticketline for £135, can contact Ticketline requesting to swap their Glade ticket for an Adult Weekend Big Chill ticket. Glade ticket holders will be charged an additional transaction fee of £7 per ticket swapped, meaning that they will get a Big Chill ticket which would have cost them £155 + £7 booking fee for £135 + £7 booking fee instead, saving them £20.
You really can't say fairer than that!!
You may be interested in
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 Massive Attack: Mezzanine XXISSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Massive Attack: Mezzanine XXIManchester Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Massive Attack: Mezzanine XXIThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 Massive Attack: Mezzanine XXI3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 and Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Massive AttackSteel Yard (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Apr 2019 and Sat 13th Apr 2019 Roy AyersUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 Hit the North Opening Party: MetronomyThe Boiler Shop Stephenson Works (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th May 2019 Live at Leeds, Sundara Karma, Tom Grennan, Metronomy, Black ...Various Leeds Venues (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th May 2019 Handmade Festival, Metronomy, The Sherlocks, Black Honey, Ib...O2 Academy Leicester (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 All Points East, Christine and the Queens, Metronomy, Maribo...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Roy AyersThree Mills Island (Hackney)Buy Tickets