Glade Festival 2010 cancelled
This week, one of the big dance festivals in recent years - Glade - has just announced the cancellation of the 2010 event, and from the sound of the official statement, it sounds like the end of a six year era for the festival.
In a year which has been much more stable festival-wise than 2008/ 2009, there have been very few cancellations, but financial and logistical pressures proved too much for the independent, sponsorship-free festival.
Citing the increased cost on policing, the lack of communication with said police and poor performance of ticket sales, the event has been cancelled.
The statement reads:
Faced with what is already an expensive event to put on and with these unexpected forced increases in security and police costs as well as a level of advanced ticket sales that is below our expectations we have no choice but to do the responsible thing and cancel the event.
We have explored every way we can to keep the event going and, unfortunately, have been unable to find a solution. We have been unable to secure sufficient financial backing and scaling back the event, to a level where we can be confident we could pay all our bills, would mean losing smaller venues and the quirkiness that make up the heart and soul of the festival.
We'd like to send our thanks and love to all musicians, artists, crew and fans that have made the Glade what it was. We appreciate all the support and love over the years. It has been a brilliant trip and there's been some beautiful moments in time but for now we can't go on. We hope that this is not the end of the story and we will continue to strive to create a genuine grass roots, community based, control free, true spirited dance festival in the UK.
If you're a ticket-holder, you are advised to watch this space for a while (well, this one at least: www.gladefestival.com), since the guys behind Glade are trying to secure a scheme where you will be able to swap your ticket for another festival at a discounted rate.
Failing that, you will need to contact your point of purchase for a refund (which if purchased via allgigs will be Ticketline - firstname.lastname@example.org / 0844 888 4409).
Just two days after the announcement, a 'Save Glade!' Facebook page has been setup (see link in the sidebar to the right), with the aim of setting-up a free Glade offshoot festival, asking for people with a passion and skills to offer their services, equipment or time.
Update: Big Chill 2010 Festival Ticket Exchange
The Big Chill 2010
The lovely people over at the Big Chill have offered a ticket exchange for Glade 2010 ticket-holders, announcing today the following scheme:
Any festival goers who purchased full price Glade Festival tickets via Ticketline for £135, can contact Ticketline requesting to swap their Glade ticket for an Adult Weekend Big Chill ticket. Glade ticket holders will be charged an additional transaction fee of £7 per ticket swapped, meaning that they will get a Big Chill ticket which would have cost them £155 + £7 booking fee for £135 + £7 booking fee instead, saving them £20.
Sounds like a pretty cool deal to me!
You may be interested in
- Sat 26th May 2018 Love Saves The Day, Fatboy Slim, Horse Meat Disco, Just Jack...Eastville Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 We Are FSTVL, Andy C, Carl Cox, DJ EZ, Loco Dice, Sigma, Big...Damyns Hall Aerodrome (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Love Saves The Day, Sampha, Knee Deep in Sound, Artwork, Jus...Eastville Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 We Are FSTVL, Eric Prydz, Jamie Jones, Marco Carola, MK, Apo...Damyns Hall Aerodrome (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Baltic WeekenderLiverpool Baltic Triangle - Various Venues (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Junction 2, Adam Beyer, Âme, Carl Cox, Joy Orbison, Ni...Boston Manor Park (Brentford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Detonate Festival, Giggs, Andy C, My Nu Leng, Shy FX, Eats E...Colwick Hall/ Park (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 to Sun 8th Jul 2018 Farr FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Sun 15th Jul 2018 Beat-Herder FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Cocoon in the Park, Sven Väth, Apollonia, Seth Troxler,...Temple Newsam (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Opera North in the City, Back to Basics, Orchestra of Opera ...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 MADE Birmingham, Dizzee Rascal, DJ EZ, Andy C, Kurupt FM, Ca...Perry Park (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 51st State FestivalTrent Park (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 Coloursfest, Showtek, John O'Callaghan, Giuseppe Ottaviani, ...Braehead Arena (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 CreamfieldsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Creamfields, Carl CoxDaresbury Estate (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Moovin FestivalWhitebottom Farm (Stockport)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sun 26th Aug 2018 South West FourBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Sundown Festival, Chase and Status - DJ SetNorfolk Showground (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Sundown Festival, Shawn MendesNorfolk Showground (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Sundown Festival, Clean BanditNorfolk Showground (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Southbeats Festival, Andy CPort Lympne Wild Animal Park (Kent)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 Abode in the Park, Hector Couto, Groove Armada - DJ SetFinsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Joey Negro, Horse Meat Disco, Ministry of SoundMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets