Fat Friday 30th April 2010 - Rock rules this week: Biffy Clyro, Skunk Anansie, You Me at Six, Asking Alexandria and more
Posted: 29th April 2010
It's an unusual line-up for our Fat Friday summary, for more reasons than one. It appears to be a week of raised snails and crunchy riffs - that'll be the rock and metal then - with some sizeable bands plundering their thunder from the dirty 30th.For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Biffy Clyro always shift tickets quickly so I wouldn't hang about for the latest batch. Their November tour goes on sale on this very day starting with Aberdeen on the 25th and dates in Glasgow (26th), Hull (29th), Nottingham (30th), Plymouth (1st Dec), Manchester (3rd) and Wembley Arena (4th) all up for grabs at various prices (no more than £22.50 though). The chaps are already giving it the power-rock clenched-fist around the UK as you read this, before heading off to Ibiza Rocks and a small matter of playing T In The Park, Reading and Leeds when they get back.
Skunk Anansie return to touring after many years away (see our article from this week) so demand for these new tour-dates will be extremely high. The London brit-rockers will perform at several European festivals including LongRock (Switzerland), Mars (Slovenia / Croatia) Werchter Rock (Belgium), BBK Bilbao (Spain) and of course Sonisphere and V - this tour gives you a chance to catch them intimately and runs from 13th to 26th November. Get in quick.
Bad Religion Other key rock tickets up for grabs include stalwarts Bad Religion, a legendary outfit who started Epitaph Records and helped shape the sound of hardcore, from punk to melodic with a string of cracking albums to boot. August sees four dates played out in Birmingham (6th), Bristol (7th), London (23rd) and Manchester (24th) - really, try and get to see them, most tickets are around £17.50.
You Me At Six and Asking Alexandria are two home-grown metal bands that are at different stages of the 'pecking-order', so to speak. YMAS have recently racked up a Top 5 Album with "Hold Me Down" and "Liquid Confidence" (surely partly autobiographical) got a recent single-release. The band fittingly has six dates for sale on Friday for Edinburgh, Wolverhampton, Bournemouth, Doncaster, Manchester and Hammersmith - £18.50 is the top price for tickets.
Asking Alexandria have had more success in the States and considering they hail from York, that's a notch on the bed-post. Recent album "Stand Up and Scream" is, however, starting to make some noise back home and a tour beckons - starting clicking below for December dates ranging from the 8th (Portsmouth) to 16th (Newcastle).
Ed Harcourt Brit-poppers Shed Seven, Irish folk-rockers The Saw Doctors, and the Glasgow slot of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's UK tour are also ready for purchase (and sure to be hot tickets) but a real treat is seeing the sensitive Sussex singer-songwriter Ed Harcourt back on the road again (even if it is only for one concert) - he plays at Wilton's Music Hall in East London on 18th June around the time of the release of his new album "Lustre". See you there.
Big Time American Wrestling Apart from music (oh yeah, and Lady Gaga's Belfast gig in November), we have a couple of slightly unusual attractions in the form of large, muscle-bound sweaty men grabbing each other and getting slapped and kicked around the ring - no I'm not taking about JLS' new tour, I'm talking about Big Time American Wrestling, grapple-fans. In October you can see a series of matches in a full-on evening's entertainment in Folkestone (22nd) and Grimsby (29th) as well as other similar wrestling attractions including WWE - just click on the links for more details.
Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Our other curio is indeed about curios, curiously enough. Ripley's Believe It Or Not is a worldwide franchise that presents numerous events and attractions dedicated to the unusual, the bizarre and the plain daft. The UK branch of this successful idea (originally conceived in the 40s) is based in Piccadilly, London and the new season's tickets go on sale for 1st May until 30th September - priced at £17.90 for child (4 - 15) tickets, £21.90 for adults and £19.90 for senior/ student tickets. It's a museum with a mirror maze, an exhibition of inexplicable artefacts collected from around the world and a great time for all the family (great for the British weather), plus it's open til late!
- Fri 5th Jun 2020 Bad Religion, UK Subs : 40 Years Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jun 2020 Bad Religion, UK Subs : 40 Years O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jun 2020 Bad Religion, UK Subs : 40 Years O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets
- Tue 9th Jun 2020 Bad Religion, UK Subs : 40 Years Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jun 2020 Bad Religion, UK Subs : 40 Years O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jun 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 University of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jun 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Jul 2020 Lady Gaga : The Chromatica Ball Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (Haringey) Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Aug 2020 Shed Seven Doncaster Racecourse (Doncaster) Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2020 Feeder, Yonaka, You Me At Six, Catfish and the Bottlemen Singleton Park (Swansea) Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Sep 2020 Neighbourhood Weekender, Ian Brown, Sam Fender, Shed Seven, Pale Waves, Reverend and the Makers, The Coral, The Magic Gang, The Sherlocks, The Murder Capital, The Big Moon, Fontaines D.C., BLOXX, Gang of Youths, The Orielles, The Mysterines Victoria Park (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Sep 2020 Shed Seven, The Pigeon Detectives, The Wedding Present Piece Hall (Halifax) Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Sep 2020 Biffy Clyro P and J Live (formerly TECA) (Aberdeen) Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Sep 2020 Biffy Clyro SSE Hydro (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Sep 2020 Biffy Clyro Motorpoint Arena (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Sep 2020 Biffy Clyro Utilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Sep 2020 Biffy Clyro Arena Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro The O2 Arena (Greenwich) Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro Manchester Arena (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro First Direct Arena (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro SSE Arena Belfast (Belfast) Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro 3arena (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Oct 2020 Biffy Clyro Bournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth) Buy Tickets