Fat Friday 30th April 2010 - Rock rules this week: Biffy Clyro, Skunk Anansie, You Me at Six, Asking Alexandria and more
Posted: 29th April 2010
It's an unusual line-up for our Fat Friday summary, for more reasons than one. It appears to be a week of raised snails and crunchy riffs - that'll be the rock and metal then - with some sizeable bands plundering their thunder from the dirty 30th.For ticket availability, click on the images, below, or scroll down for the full event listing.
Biffy Clyro always shift tickets quickly so I wouldn't hang about for the latest batch. Their November tour goes on sale on this very day starting with Aberdeen on the 25th and dates in Glasgow (26th), Hull (29th), Nottingham (30th), Plymouth (1st Dec), Manchester (3rd) and Wembley Arena (4th) all up for grabs at various prices (no more than £22.50 though). The chaps are already giving it the power-rock clenched-fist around the UK as you read this, before heading off to Ibiza Rocks and a small matter of playing T In The Park, Reading and Leeds when they get back.
Skunk Anansie return to touring after many years away (see our article from this week) so demand for these new tour-dates will be extremely high. The London brit-rockers will perform at several European festivals including LongRock (Switzerland), Mars (Slovenia / Croatia) Werchter Rock (Belgium), BBK Bilbao (Spain) and of course Sonisphere and V - this tour gives you a chance to catch them intimately and runs from 13th to 26th November. Get in quick.
Bad Religion Other key rock tickets up for grabs include stalwarts Bad Religion, a legendary outfit who started Epitaph Records and helped shape the sound of hardcore, from punk to melodic with a string of cracking albums to boot. August sees four dates played out in Birmingham (6th), Bristol (7th), London (23rd) and Manchester (24th) - really, try and get to see them, most tickets are around £17.50.
You Me At Six and Asking Alexandria are two home-grown metal bands that are at different stages of the 'pecking-order', so to speak. YMAS have recently racked up a Top 5 Album with "Hold Me Down" and "Liquid Confidence" (surely partly autobiographical) got a recent single-release. The band fittingly has six dates for sale on Friday for Edinburgh, Wolverhampton, Bournemouth, Doncaster, Manchester and Hammersmith - £18.50 is the top price for tickets.
Asking Alexandria have had more success in the States and considering they hail from York, that's a notch on the bed-post. Recent album "Stand Up and Scream" is, however, starting to make some noise back home and a tour beckons - starting clicking below for December dates ranging from the 8th (Portsmouth) to 16th (Newcastle).
Ed Harcourt Brit-poppers Shed Seven, Irish folk-rockers The Saw Doctors, and the Glasgow slot of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's UK tour are also ready for purchase (and sure to be hot tickets) but a real treat is seeing the sensitive Sussex singer-songwriter Ed Harcourt back on the road again (even if it is only for one concert) - he plays at Wilton's Music Hall in East London on 18th June around the time of the release of his new album "Lustre". See you there.
Big Time American Wrestling Apart from music (oh yeah, and Lady Gaga's Belfast gig in November), we have a couple of slightly unusual attractions in the form of large, muscle-bound sweaty men grabbing each other and getting slapped and kicked around the ring - no I'm not taking about JLS' new tour, I'm talking about Big Time American Wrestling, grapple-fans. In October you can see a series of matches in a full-on evening's entertainment in Folkestone (22nd) and Grimsby (29th) as well as other similar wrestling attractions including WWE - just click on the links for more details.
Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Our other curio is indeed about curios, curiously enough. Ripley's Believe It Or Not is a worldwide franchise that presents numerous events and attractions dedicated to the unusual, the bizarre and the plain daft. The UK branch of this successful idea (originally conceived in the 40s) is based in Piccadilly, London and the new season's tickets go on sale for 1st May until 30th September - priced at £17.90 for child (4 - 15) tickets, £21.90 for adults and £19.90 for senior/ student tickets. It's a museum with a mirror maze, an exhibition of inexplicable artefacts collected from around the world and a great time for all the family (great for the British weather), plus it's open til late!
- Mon 19th Oct 2020 Asking Alexandria Barrowland Ballroom (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Oct 2020 Asking Alexandria Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2020 Asking Alexandria O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2020 Asking Alexandria O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Oct 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 G-Live (Guildford) Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Oct 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Leicester (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Oct 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 Leas Cliff Hall (Folkestone) Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Nov 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 The Engine Shed/ Platform (university of Lincoln) (Lincoln) Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Nov 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 Cardiff University Students Union [Solus/ CF10/ Great Hall/ Y Plas] (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 Victoria Warehouse (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 Brighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Dec 2020 Skunk Anansie : 25 Live @ 25 The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed Liverpool Guild of Students/ Stanley Theatre/ Mountford Hall/ The Cellar (Liverpool) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Mon 12th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed O2 Forum (Kentish Town) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Tue 13th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Thu 15th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Fri 16th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed O2 Guildhall (Southampton) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Sat 17th Apr 2021 Biffy Clyro : Fingers Crossed O2 Academy (Bristol) On Sale Fri 21st Aug at 9:00am
- Sat 15th May 2021 Shed Seven Doncaster Racecourse (Doncaster) Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th May 2021 Neighbourhood Weekender, Ian Brown, Sam Fender, Shed Seven, Pale Waves, Reverend and the Makers, The Coral, The Magic Gang, The Sherlocks, The Murder Capital, The Big Moon, Fontaines D.C., BLOXX Victoria Park (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th May 2021 Feeder, Yonaka, You Me At Six, Catfish and the Bottlemen Singleton Park (Swansea) Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Jun 2021 Download, Biffy Clyro, Deftones, Gojira, The Pretty Reckless, Those Damn Crows, Killswitch Engage, Mastodon, Daughtry, Funeral for a Friend, Holding Absence Donington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire) Buy Tickets