Get in the mood - relive the Glenn Miller sound with the official UK Orchestra Summer 2010 tour
It's hard to even comprehend the effects of war on your own doorstep these days. Overseas battles are bad enough, but imagine the tense knot in the stomach that people must have felt when yet another enemy fighter or 'doodle-bug' flew over during the evening, destroying yet more buildings and lives. Music was often a comfort and that was if you could afford a radio.
Big-band music was very much an American import during the Second World War and Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey and Woody Herman were all leaders of their own swing-bands at some point. Miller is certainly the most-celebrated, with the film "The Glenn Miller Story" being a memorable tribute (starring James Stewart in the title role).
For an accurate insight into the trademark muted-trombone sound, you need to see such a band live in concert and now the official Glenn Miller Orchestra UK have announced a quartet of performances throughout the year where you can do just that. They play at Worcester's Swan Theatre on 15th July, Felixstowe's Spa Pavilion on 28th August, Folkestone's Leas Cliff Hall on 29th August and the Alhambra Theatre in Dunfermline on 21st November. Tickets are on sale now at around £20 (depending on location).
Miller was famous for instrumental and near-instrumental classics such as "In The Mood", "Moonlight Serenade", "Pennsylvania 65000", "String Of Pearls" and "Little Brown Jug" and popularized many other jazz-standards, as well as working with vocalists and other musicians - a pity that Miller never got to hear these collaborations as he died in a plane crash in 1944, heading to France to entertain US troops. The orchestra here are assembled with express permission of the Miller estate.
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 to Thu 14th Feb 2019 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 18th Jul 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 The Glenn Miller Show [Tommy Steele]Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 BBC Proms, Jacob Collier, Sam Amidon, Take 6, Metropole Orke...: Prom 7: Jacob Collier and FriendsRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 A Boundless Summer, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Or...Borde Hill Gardens (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 Swing Out! A Night Of Live Swing Music And DancingBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 BBC Proms, John Wilson Orchestra: Prom 39: West Side StoryRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 Sun Ra ArkestraUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Live in the Square, The Matthew Herbert Big Band: Matthew Herbert's Big Brexit BandGrosvenor Square (Mayfair)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Trio ManoucheGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Fri 5th Oct 2018 Big Boy BloaterBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 The Invisible OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 The Swing CommandersLittle Theatre (Chorley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Lance EllingtonLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)On SaleSun 26th Aprat 11:59pm
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 King Pleasure and The Biscuit BoysThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets