Get in the mood - relive the Glenn Miller sound with the official UK Orchestra Summer 2010 tour
It's hard to even comprehend the effects of war on your own doorstep these days. Overseas battles are bad enough, but imagine the tense knot in the stomach that people must have felt when yet another enemy fighter or 'doodle-bug' flew over during the evening, destroying yet more buildings and lives. Music was often a comfort and that was if you could afford a radio.
Big-band music was very much an American import during the Second World War and Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey and Woody Herman were all leaders of their own swing-bands at some point. Miller is certainly the most-celebrated, with the film "The Glenn Miller Story" being a memorable tribute (starring James Stewart in the title role).
For an accurate insight into the trademark muted-trombone sound, you need to see such a band live in concert and now the official Glenn Miller Orchestra UK have announced a quartet of performances throughout the year where you can do just that. They play at Worcester's Swan Theatre on 15th July, Felixstowe's Spa Pavilion on 28th August, Folkestone's Leas Cliff Hall on 29th August and the Alhambra Theatre in Dunfermline on 21st November. Tickets are on sale now at around £20 (depending on location).
Miller was famous for instrumental and near-instrumental classics such as "In The Mood", "Moonlight Serenade", "Pennsylvania 65000", "String Of Pearls" and "Little Brown Jug" and popularized many other jazz-standards, as well as working with vocalists and other musicians - a pity that Miller never got to hear these collaborations as he died in a plane crash in 1944, heading to France to entertain US troops. The orchestra here are assembled with express permission of the Miller estate.
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Milton Keynes Theatre (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]St David's Hall (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Barbican Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]The Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th Aug 2018 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Cromer Hall (Cromer)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Trio ManoucheGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Ray Gelato and the GiantsLowther Pavilion (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 The Cadillac KingsThe Cabbage Patch/ Eel Pie Club (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 King Pleasure and The Biscuit BoysBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Jools Holland and his Rhythm ...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Ruby Turner...The Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Kew the Music, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchest...Kew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 A Boundless Summer, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Or...Borde Hill Gardens (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 Sun Ra ArkestraUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 The Swing CommandersLittle Theatre (Chorley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraBuy Tickets