Get in the mood - relive the Glenn Miller sound with the official UK Orchestra Summer 2010 tour
It's hard to even comprehend the effects of war on your own doorstep these days. Overseas battles are bad enough, but imagine the tense knot in the stomach that people must have felt when yet another enemy fighter or 'doodle-bug' flew over during the evening, destroying yet more buildings and lives. Music was often a comfort and that was if you could afford a radio.
Big-band music was very much an American import during the Second World War and Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Tommy Dorsey and Woody Herman were all leaders of their own swing-bands at some point. Miller is certainly the most-celebrated, with the film "The Glenn Miller Story" being a memorable tribute (starring James Stewart in the title role).
For an accurate insight into the trademark muted-trombone sound, you need to see such a band live in concert and now the official Glenn Miller Orchestra UK have announced a quartet of performances throughout the year where you can do just that. They play at Worcester's Swan Theatre on 15th July, Felixstowe's Spa Pavilion on 28th August, Folkestone's Leas Cliff Hall on 29th August and the Alhambra Theatre in Dunfermline on 21st November. Tickets are on sale now at around £20 (depending on location).
Miller was famous for instrumental and near-instrumental classics such as "In The Mood", "Moonlight Serenade", "Pennsylvania 65000", "String Of Pearls" and "Little Brown Jug" and popularized many other jazz-standards, as well as working with vocalists and other musicians - a pity that Miller never got to hear these collaborations as he died in a plane crash in 1944, heading to France to entertain US troops. The orchestra here are assembled with express permission of the Miller estate.
- Thu 27th Dec 2018 to Sun 8th Sep 2019 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Hot 8 Brass BandBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sun 19th May 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 King Pleasure and The Biscuit BoysThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 The Fulham Big BandBedford Arms Sports Pub (Fulham)More Info..
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 and Fri 15th Mar 2019 The Swing CommandersBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Jan 2019 Trio ManoucheGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 Celtic Connections, The Hot SardinesThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Feb 2019 and Fri 15th Mar 2019 The Big Chris Barber BandBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Sun 10th Mar 2019 Big Boy BloaterBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 BBC Big BandGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 BBC Big Band, Claire MartinThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 Scottish National Jazz OrchestraPerth Concert Hall (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2019 Kew the Music, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchest...Kew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets