Bebel Gilberto proves she's the bossa nova queen with one-off KOKO concert, August 2010
She may be American-born but the daughter of Bahia-legend, singer and musician Joao Gilberto has got all the moves and sassy rhythms in her music to suggest she will be around for some time to come. Bebel Gilberto is a smooth Brazilian you wouldn't object to experiencing every day - remember "Tanto Tempo", the album that gave her a breakthrough in 2000? Songs like the title-track, "So Nice" and "Samba Da Bencao" weaved a bossa-nova magic across the airwaves and countless branches of Starbucks, prompting impressive reviews and the vain belief that summer was coming.
Guess what? Summer really is coming again, in the form of a one-off concert by the lady herself, this time at KOKO in Mornington Crescent on 6th August. Tickets are on sale now at £22.50 + fees.
Gilberto's most recent album "All In One" actually features a version of the earliest known bossa song, written by her father and called "Bim Bom", as well as a Bob Marley cover ("Sun is Shining"), a Stevie Wonder-penned track ("The Real Thing") and oodles of songs that suggest the lady has found a spot of romance. Nowt wrong with that of course - and she'll be showing even more love at The Big Chill Festival where she will appear at some point over the August weekend (tickets still available folks).
You may be interested in
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 London Jazz Festival, Melody GardotRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Snake DavisBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 to Wed 12th Dec 2018 Courtney Pine, Omar: Black Notes from the DeepBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Thu 20th Dec 2018 OrbitalBuy Tickets
- Tue 8th Jan 2019 Manu DelagoThe Square Chapel Arts Centre (Halifax)Buy Tickets