Here is a partly political broadcast - Elect to buy tickets to one of our satirical shows...
Over the next few weeks, General Election stunts will be prevalent - David Cameron will be presenting Blue Peter (forming a government with sticky-back plastic), Gordon Brown will be a guest on 'Come Dine With Me' (serving up excuses) and Nick Clegg will appear on Crimewatch (as a photofit until someone actually recognizes who he is). Nick Griffin is releasing an album of delta-blues and hip-hop classics ('Down With Tha BNP') and the Green Party will be sponsoring the next series of 'Top Gear - Live From The North Pole'. They're all at it.
If, however, you want a more realistic take on politics you have two choices. Either catch a lunar-shuttle to Neptune (there's one every hour from Ebbsfleet), or go and watch one of the excellent political-plays doing the rounds at the moment:
Vote For Me - You Idiots!
Vote For Me - You Idiots!
Vote For Me - You Idiots!does sound like a very satirical poke in the belly and it's playing at the Hen and Chickens Theatre, Islington. Written by Spitting Image and Rory Bremner collaborator Nelson David, it tells the tale of one Dave Basildon, a man representing the None Of The Above party who has spent his financial bail-out offered by Barack Obama. £7.50 for tickets sounds like a bargain to me. Runs from 15th - 23rd April.
Chiswick's Tabard Theatre is urging us to get 'Stiffed!', a political satire loosely based on the writer's experiences within Westminster. An aspiring journalist sets out to uncover wrongdoings and misgivings between two political figures, one a double-barrelled Tory, the other a Labour activist with a husband who prefers toy trains to toying with politics and expenses. Tickets cost £12. Runs from 14th April - 9th May.
If you want a hard-hitting play about financial scandal then you have to consider seeing the Lucy Prebble-written 'Enron'. Energy and auditing certainly didn't mix during the 2007 bankruptcy of the company at the heart of the biggest shareholder loss ($1 billion). The complexities of the case inspired Prebble to simplify it and create an engaging play that fuses dialogue, music, dance and video. Tickets are around £40, although some balcony seats are available for later May performances at £20.50. Runs until 26th June.
Counted is an aptly-themed play-cum-documentary appearing at the County Hall, London (£18 upwards - 15th April to 22nd May) during the Spring and asks the question 'why aren't we voting?' at a time when we should be. 'Use your democracy or lose it' seems to be the message here.
Women, Power and Politics: Then
While the Tricycle Theatre in London features a series of plays under the banner 'Women, Power And Politics' during June. Split over the 'Then' and 'Now' eras, there will be various short features and political comment regarding women's contribution to politics.
Check our full list of related performances and remember - use your vote wisely!
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Fri 6th Apr 2018 Jonathan PieBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Network [play]Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Booby's BayBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 19th May 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Again [play]Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sat 12th May 2018 The Best ManBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Returning To HaifaBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Up 'n UnderThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Mar 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Mark ThomasBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Steptoe and SonDarwen Library Theatre (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 ConstellationsBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Mar 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 Quartet [play]Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 to Fri 8th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 and Sat 14th Apr 2018 The West Wing WeeklyBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Thu 7th Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Fri 8th Jun 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 to Sat 28th Apr 2018 This HouseBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 One Woman Sex and The CityBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Trevor Noah: End of DaysThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets