Here is a partly political broadcast - Elect to buy tickets to one of our satirical shows...
Over the next few weeks, General Election stunts will be prevalent - David Cameron will be presenting Blue Peter (forming a government with sticky-back plastic), Gordon Brown will be a guest on 'Come Dine With Me' (serving up excuses) and Nick Clegg will appear on Crimewatch (as a photofit until someone actually recognizes who he is). Nick Griffin is releasing an album of delta-blues and hip-hop classics ('Down With Tha BNP') and the Green Party will be sponsoring the next series of 'Top Gear - Live From The North Pole'. They're all at it.
If, however, you want a more realistic take on politics you have two choices. Either catch a lunar-shuttle to Neptune (there's one every hour from Ebbsfleet), or go and watch one of the excellent political-plays doing the rounds at the moment:
Vote For Me - You Idiots!
Vote For Me - You Idiots!
Vote For Me - You Idiots!does sound like a very satirical poke in the belly and it's playing at the Hen and Chickens Theatre, Islington. Written by Spitting Image and Rory Bremner collaborator Nelson David, it tells the tale of one Dave Basildon, a man representing the None Of The Above party who has spent his financial bail-out offered by Barack Obama. £7.50 for tickets sounds like a bargain to me. Runs from 15th - 23rd April.
Chiswick's Tabard Theatre is urging us to get 'Stiffed!', a political satire loosely based on the writer's experiences within Westminster. An aspiring journalist sets out to uncover wrongdoings and misgivings between two political figures, one a double-barrelled Tory, the other a Labour activist with a husband who prefers toy trains to toying with politics and expenses. Tickets cost £12. Runs from 14th April - 9th May.
If you want a hard-hitting play about financial scandal then you have to consider seeing the Lucy Prebble-written 'Enron'. Energy and auditing certainly didn't mix during the 2007 bankruptcy of the company at the heart of the biggest shareholder loss ($1 billion). The complexities of the case inspired Prebble to simplify it and create an engaging play that fuses dialogue, music, dance and video. Tickets are around £40, although some balcony seats are available for later May performances at £20.50. Runs until 26th June.
Counted is an aptly-themed play-cum-documentary appearing at the County Hall, London (£18 upwards - 15th April to 22nd May) during the Spring and asks the question 'why aren't we voting?' at a time when we should be. 'Use your democracy or lose it' seems to be the message here.
Women, Power and Politics: Then
While the Tricycle Theatre in London features a series of plays under the banner 'Women, Power And Politics' during June. Split over the 'Then' and 'Now' eras, there will be various short features and political comment regarding women's contribution to politics.
Check our full list of related performances and remember - use your vote wisely!
You may be interested in
- Sun 20th May 2018 One Woman Sex and The CityThe Wyvern Theatre (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Wed 18th Jul 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 H.R. HaitchBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 The Best ManBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 Young FrankensteinBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 3WomenBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Mark ThomasDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 18th Jul 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 The Public Interest: World PremiereMore Info..
- Sat 26th May 2018 MojoJagz (Ascot)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Mum's The WordBasement Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 The RivalsPalladium Club (Bideford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 to Wed 13th Jun 2018 Jonathan Pie: Back To the StudioBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 Heathers The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 The JungleBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Wed 18th Jul 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Jul 2018 to Wed 18th Jul 2018 Queens Of The Coal AgeBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 and Mon 9th Jul 2018 Gyles BrandrethBuy Tickets