Fancy a Folk? Round-Up of the Best Singers and Players on Tour, Spring 2010
You have to admit that sitting or standing in a venue listening to some frantic fiddling, vivacious vocalizing and wistful whistle-peeping while guzzling pints of Thrashers Golden-Buttwobbler is a great pre-cursor to good weather. To this end, there is a considerably stunning Spring 2010 line-up of folky legends coming your way so pour yourself another and read on.
Firstly at the Blackheath Halls we have Scottish group The Battlefield Band playing on 10th April (£14) - expect oodles of bagpipes within trad and new arrangements, plus the odd song about gold. Their last album was dedicated to the stuff and very good it was too.
The Boys of the Lough
Another band of merry-men with a Celtic persuasion is The Boys of the Lough, who draw their roots influence from both sides of the Irish Sea. They play the Morecambe Platform on 21st May for £15. Of course, folk music is very incestuous with everybody playing on each other's arrangements from time to time, as well as spawning amazing musicians.
Two ex-Loughers are Aly Bain, a legendary fiddler who is set to play a couple of March gigs (27th - London Union Chapel and 31st - Sale Waterside) and Dick Gaughan who will strum and offer socially-aware anthems in Kilmarnock's Palace on 3rd April.
Dave Swarbrick will fiddle and strum a few evenings away in Winchester (24th March), Tunbridge Wells (27th March) and, would you believe, the Dulwich Hamlet FC Rooms on 23rd April (all around £11 or less).
Martin Carthy has worked with Swarbrick before but he does his duo thing with Norma Waterson in Farnham on 26th March, Birmingham on 10th Apr and London's Deptford Arms on 1st May.
Farnham's Maltings is also the focus of two landmark ladies during April - Northumbrian pipes maestro Kathryn Tickell plays there on the 8th while the perennial vocalist June Tabor entertains on the 11th and this year marks 35 years in the biz! £15 for Cara or June (why not see both?).
Not on the scene for quite as long but still major players in every sense are the angelic tonsils of Cara Dillon (she worked with a certain pair of Lakemans a while back and married one of them) who will play Glasgow's Classic Grand on 27th May, and the velvety resonating harmonies of Kate Rusby who is all set to sing in Whitley Bay (14th Apr), Peterborough (30th Apr) and Portsmouth (May 9th). Be sure to catch these fabulous performers if you can.
Acoustic Festival of Britain
Acoustic Festival of Britain 2010
Finally, as well as headline shows, there are the requisite festivals to attend, normally backed up by decent booze and grub to boot. The Whitworth Easter Folk Festival 2010 in Matlock hosts a shindig over the Easter weekend with The Shee, Mawkin: Causley and Silverdogs, The Oxford Folk Festival 2010 runs from 16th to 18th Apr and stars Cara Dillon, Bellowhead and more while the Acoustic Festival of Britain swings its pants in Uttoxeter from 21st to 23rd May, featuring Kate Rusby, Donovan and many more.
Prices vary, as do ticket types so click on the links to find out more. You're bound to meet even more friendly folk!
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Cara DillonThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 Martin CarthyMatthews Hall (Exeter)More Info..
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 Martin CarthyThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 Martin CarthyThe Kitchen Garden Cafe (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 Martin CarthyThe Stoller Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Martin CarthyOld Cinema Launderette (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Aly BainKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Aly BainBaptist Church Emsworth (Hampshire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th May 2018 Aly BainCottier's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Kathryn TickellThe National Forest Folk Club - Moira (Ashby de la Zouch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Acoustic Festival of Britain, Think Floyd, KosheenUttoxeter Racecourse (Uttoxeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Acoustic Festival of BritainUttoxeter Racecourse (Uttoxeter)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Acoustic Festival of Britain, The Urban Folk Quartet, Dan Wa...Uttoxeter Racecourse (Uttoxeter)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 Martin CarthyChapel Arts Centre (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Martin CarthyKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 Aly Bain, Phil CunninghamRaemoir House Hotel (Banchory)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly RebelsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 Wizz JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sun 18th Mar 2018 Kathryn WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Thu 17th May 2018 John SmithBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 21st Apr 2018 The LeylinesBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sun 8th Apr 2018 Tommy FlemingBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sat 10th Mar 2018 Martin HarleyBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Mike DawesBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Think FloydBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 and Tue 27th Feb 2018 North Sea GasBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 Michael McGoldrickBaptist Church Emsworth (Hampshire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 and Fri 9th Mar 2018 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 to Thu 17th May 2018 Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Sat 28th Apr 2018 Ferocious Dog: The Enemy WithinBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 Albert Hammond JrDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Fri 18th May 2018 Wild Willy BarrettBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 and Sun 4th Mar 2018 The Brand New HeaviesBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 Big CountryBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Soul II Soul, The Brand New HeaviesBowlers Exhibition Centre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Sat 12th May 2018 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Sat 7th Apr 2018 Stick in the WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 The Leylines, All DayerBlack Market - Warsop (Nottinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 Imagining Ireland: Paul Noonan, Lisa Hannigan, J ColleranBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Tue 27th Mar 2018 Belle and SebastianBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Chris DiffordBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 The Guitar Masterclass Series: Jon GommDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Tue 13th Mar 2018 SkerryvoreBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 FaustusACE Space (Newbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 The Hold SteadyBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Stiff Little FingersBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 Flamingods: DJ SetJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 Cregan & CoSpa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Stiff Little Fingers, Ruts DCBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 Modena City Ramblers, BandabardoO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 and Thu 29th Mar 2018 4SquareBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 and Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Levellers: AcousticBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 to Wed 18th Apr 2018 Chris Difford, Boo HewerdineBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 to Sun 25th Mar 2018 Roddy WoombleBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 to Wed 25th Apr 2018 Cosmo SheldrakeBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 and Fri 20th Apr 2018 Gordon GiltrapBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 The DublinersNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Levellers, GingerBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 and Sun 18th Mar 2018 Tom McConvilleBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 to Wed 11th Apr 2018 Geoff AchisonBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Mar 2018 and Wed 25th Apr 2018 The Urban Folk QuartetBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 BathsBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 to Sun 1st Apr 2018 The Secret SistersBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Sam CarterThe Old Queen's Head (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Sharon ShannonPark Hotel (Waterford)Buy Tickets