Martin Stephenson and the Daintees for Spring 2010 tour, Willowman date and beyond
Posted: 22nd March 2010
Back in the 80s, a label was formed in Tyneside called Kitchenware Records and its roster was small but the envy of larger major-labels. They were marketed under the wing of what was CBS and is a name familiar to anyone who buys Editors releases today - they were also staunchly loyal to North-East artists hence the nurturing and canoodling with Prefab Sprout, Kane Gang and Hurrah!.
As well as intelligent yet conformist pop-bands, they also housed the latent energies of Cathal Coughlan's aggressive yet melodic charges, Fatima Mansions and one cocky-yet-likeable young lad from Durham Town, Martin Stephenson (with his backing band, The Daintees). The two songwriters later collaborated on a smile-rendering cover of 'Let's Call The Whole Thing Off' - I'm glad they didn't do as the song suggests.
Stephenson's output for the label included four pin-sharp albums, including the successful debut 'Boat To Bolivia', that took in blues, folk, rock and cabaret in equal measure and the evergreen troubadour is back on the road throughout the year. His string of dates start in April on the 3rd for an unusual Buster Keaton evening at the Strathpeffer Coffee Shop (£8) - he will improvise during some Keaton 'silents' as well as play his own songs afterwards!
The remaining gigs are a little more straightforward with Hebden Bridge being the first stop on 22nd April, quickly followed by Chesterfield (23rd) and London's Green Note (29th). He then heads to Winsford (28th May) and Newcastle (4th June) before playing at the Willowman Festival 2010 on 20th June at Lenthor Farm, North Yorks. He returns to London for a bigger gig at the Borderline (17th Sep) and finally the Edinburgh Voodoo Rooms (18th Dec)
Tickets for the genial strummer are on sale now, priced from £8 (plus fees).
- Fri 5th Jun 2020 Martin Stephenson The Peacock (Sunderland) Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jul 2020 to Sun 12th Jul 2020 Walled Garden Music Festival, Wreckless Eric, Sean Taylor, Otis Gibbs, Martin Stephenson, Jimi Mack, Jersey Budd, Curse of Lono, Amy Rigby, Peter Bruntnell, Danni Nicholls, Treetop Flyers Thoresby Estate (Nottinghamshire) Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jul 2020 Martin Stephenson The Continental (Preston) Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Sep 2020 Martin Stephenson The Running Horse (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Sep 2020 Martin Stephenson Eyre Chapel (Chesterfield) Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson Oran Mor (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road Fiddlers (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson Crookes Social Club (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road Esquires (Bedford) Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Oct 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road Open (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road 100 Club (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Nov 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road Patterns (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Nov 2020 Martin Stephenson The Flowerpot (Derby) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Nov 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road The Night Owl (Digbeth) Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road The Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees) Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Dec 2020 Martin Stephenson : Salutation Road La Belle Angele (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets