Make it Funky! Cymande II for rare UK dates in May 2010
OK, I don't mind telling you that I'm pretty damn excited about this one: UK Afro-funkers Cymande are to be playing two UK dates this May (with any luck, they'll add more, though... pretty please Mr Adrian Gibson!).
Now known as Cymande II, the band, feature four of the original ten band members, including singer Jimmy Lindsay, drummer Sam Kelly, percussionist Pablo Gonzales and flautist Michael Rose. They are joined by Paul Jobson on keys, Spy Austin on bass, Tony Qunta on guitar, Tim Herniman on sax and Jerome Marcus on percussion, with the whole band providing BVs.
Disbanding in 1974 after just three years and three albums, just as they looked set to break the US, the band managed to produce some great songs, including 'Brothers on the Slide', 'The Message', 'Bra' (sampled by De La Soul in the track 'Change in Speak'), 'The Recluse' and 'Changes'.
The band last played in the UK in 2006 as part of the Brighton Festival, and will again play in Brighton (Concorde 2) on 20th May as well London's Bloomsbury Ballroom on 15th May.
Tickets are on sale now, priced at £17 for Brighton, £20 for London - both + fees. You can be sure that we'll keep you informed if any other dates are added.
Update: UK Festival Dates Added!
Well, I said we'd keep you informed of any other UK dates, and am pleased to tell you that there are indeed some more! The guys will be playing the newly-established "Mostly Jazz Festival" in Birmingham's Moseley Park on Sunday 4th July, playing alongside the Sun Ra Arkestra, Courtney Pine and Andy Hamilton amongst others. Day tickets cost £28.50 from www.mostlyjazz.co.uk .
They will head to glorious Goodwood on Saturday 14th August for the annual "Vintage at Goodwood" music, art, fashion and film festival. The event has a line-up longer than an orangutan's arm, featuring (on Saturday): The Noisettes, Norman Jay, Martha and the Vandellas, Roy Wood's Rock 'n Roll Orchestra, Alvin Stardust, The Rezillos, The New Forbidden, Swing out Sister amongst many more, and of course the mighty Cymande II. Tickets cost £55 for day tickets, or £135 for the whole weekend (+ £15 for camping) - from www.vintageatgoodwood.com , which gets you access to the other acts playing on the Friday to Sunday, including: Sandie Shaw, Buzzcocks, Aswad, Imelda May, The Wailers, Pama International, Kid Creole and the Coconuts, Sean Rowley, Heaven 17, Joey Negro, Graeme Park, Jazzie B, The Damned, Geno Washington and about 50 others!
You may be interested in
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Fri 16th Nov 2018 Tom MischBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 MJ ColeThe Bullingdon/ Haven (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 Arun Ghosh, Jason Singh [beatboxer]Archspace (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Arun GhoshCorsica Studios (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Norman JayElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Gilles PetersonThe Hare and Hounds Birmingham (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Grandmaster FlashConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 The BlackbyrdsBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 The ReflexMint Club (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Gilles Peterson, Tama Sumo, New Year's Eve PartyOval Space (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 51st State FestivalTrent Park (London)Buy Tickets