You Want Some Reggae Reggae Roots? Levi Roots ain't No Jerk on his Saucy New Spring 2010 UK Tour
There are some chefs and cooks who, as soon as they fling a lump of carcass into a pot full of molten stock or whizz up a salsa verde with an evil grin on their faces, make me feel bloody starving. Saturday Kitchen - what a b'stard! If it isn't enough already with Rick Stein virtually unzipping his fly at the site of a pair of oiled pollocks or James Martin unloading an entire brick of Lurpak over a freshly braised quail (the bird already suffering the added indignation of having an orange rammed up its jacksy), then we now have Jamaica's answer to culinary water-torture, Levi Roots grindin' his chillis and stewin' his dumplings right in front of our starving and pallid little faces on the same programme. Seriously, it's just wonderful isn't it - I could genuinely watch foodie-programmes all day and Mr Roots is a very interesting and genial chap.
But I have a sentence for you all to contemplate - imagine if you could smell the nosh as they cook it. And then imagine the presenting cook proffering his freshly curried goat and mango pickle with a song and a story. Guess what? You can, because Levi Roots is currently doing just that at selected venues up and down the country as part of UK tour.
Never mind his new single, 'Cool Me Off' (have you seen how many Scotch Bonnets he chucks in his stews) and the album 'Red Hot' (you're not kidding fella!), it's his food that makes Roots a must for anybody who wants something more exciting out of food, rather than cramming boxes of greasy old poultry down their throats or scoffing a burger so full of fat, you could make a voodoo-dolly of Anthony Wobble-Thompson and still have enough to use in a James Martin dish as a garnish.
His music and food tour continues at the Exeter Phoenix tomorrow night (5th) as part of the city's Vibraphonic Festival, before heading to Plymouth Uni on the 8th, Leicester Peepul (9th), Brighton Concorde (11th), Canterbury College (12th), Keele Uni (15th), Hatfield Uni (16th) and finally Edinburgh Uni on the 18th. He will then have a break before hitting Manchester on the 25th for some book signings and then the capital on March 29th for a cook-up at the Jazz Café. Please note, this London date is a rescheduled gig (from the 7th - I reckon Levi 'had a word' with his promoter over that one. Exeter to London to Plymouth? Naah!). Tickets vary in price from a tenner to £16.50.
Enjoy - I am now bloody hungry again. Curse you Mr Roots with your spicy and appetizing ways (not to mention his Salmon St.Jago and fried dumplings)...(writer's stomach growls like a sedated dog)...
You may be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Taste of LondonBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Snowboy, Myles SankoThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 and Sun 25th Nov 2018 Alvin Youngblood HartBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Jay RaynerThe Milton Rooms (Malton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton Faulkner, Revol...Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 Vessel Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Myles Sanko, DJ CheebaThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 and Thu 6th Dec 2018 Billy CobhamBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Snake DavisBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 Jason Donovan, Revolution [Kimberly Wyatt/ Adam Garcia], Car...Bournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Janet Kay, Carroll Thompson229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 SoultownIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 to Fri 24th May 2019 UB40: For The ManyBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Rufus Stone, New Year's Eve PartyThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Mon 8th Apr 2019 The Hairy BikersBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 to Sun 25th Aug 2019 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 to Sun 6th Oct 2019 The Cake and Bake ShowBuy Tickets