You Want Some Reggae Reggae Roots? Levi Roots ain't No Jerk on his Saucy New Spring 2010 UK Tour
There are some chefs and cooks who, as soon as they fling a lump of carcass into a pot full of molten stock or whizz up a salsa verde with an evil grin on their faces, make me feel bloody starving. Saturday Kitchen - what a b'stard! If it isn't enough already with Rick Stein virtually unzipping his fly at the site of a pair of oiled pollocks or James Martin unloading an entire brick of Lurpak over a freshly braised quail (the bird already suffering the added indignation of having an orange rammed up its jacksy), then we now have Jamaica's answer to culinary water-torture, Levi Roots grindin' his chillis and stewin' his dumplings right in front of our starving and pallid little faces on the same programme. Seriously, it's just wonderful isn't it - I could genuinely watch foodie-programmes all day and Mr Roots is a very interesting and genial chap.
But I have a sentence for you all to contemplate - imagine if you could smell the nosh as they cook it. And then imagine the presenting cook proffering his freshly curried goat and mango pickle with a song and a story. Guess what? You can, because Levi Roots is currently doing just that at selected venues up and down the country as part of UK tour.
Never mind his new single, 'Cool Me Off' (have you seen how many Scotch Bonnets he chucks in his stews) and the album 'Red Hot' (you're not kidding fella!), it's his food that makes Roots a must for anybody who wants something more exciting out of food, rather than cramming boxes of greasy old poultry down their throats or scoffing a burger so full of fat, you could make a voodoo-dolly of Anthony Wobble-Thompson and still have enough to use in a James Martin dish as a garnish.
His music and food tour continues at the Exeter Phoenix tomorrow night (5th) as part of the city's Vibraphonic Festival, before heading to Plymouth Uni on the 8th, Leicester Peepul (9th), Brighton Concorde (11th), Canterbury College (12th), Keele Uni (15th), Hatfield Uni (16th) and finally Edinburgh Uni on the 18th. He will then have a break before hitting Manchester on the 25th for some book signings and then the capital on March 29th for a cook-up at the Jazz Café. Please note, this London date is a rescheduled gig (from the 7th - I reckon Levi 'had a word' with his promoter over that one. Exeter to London to Plymouth? Naah!). Tickets vary in price from a tenner to £16.50.
Enjoy - I am now bloody hungry again. Curse you Mr Roots with your spicy and appetizing ways (not to mention his Salmon St.Jago and fried dumplings)...(writer's stomach growls like a sedated dog)...
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Benefit gig for Ricky Ricketts: Groove Armada - DJ Set, Orbital, Freestylers, The Herbaliser...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 Burden of Paradise, Snake DavisThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Sat 12th May 2018 Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 Jay RaynerRhoda Mcgaw Theatre (Woking)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 Jazzie BHoochie Coochie (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Apr 2018 to Mon 7th May 2018 The HerbaliserBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Foodies Festival, ToploaderHove Lawns (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sat 25th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, The HoosiersBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th May 2018 to Mon 27th Aug 2018 Foodies FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 Pub in the ParkBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Nigel Slater's ToastBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Brother StrutEmpire Hall (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 UB40Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 and Fri 6th Jul 2018 Snake DavisBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 The Rollin' Clones, Who's Next, Newark FestivalRiverside Park (Newark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Newark Festival, Marti Pellow, Kim Wilde, Go West, Nick Heyw...Riverside Park (Newark)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, The HoosiersCannon Hill Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 and Sat 14th Jul 2018 Foodies Festival, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 UB40, Bad Manners, The DualersGaron Park (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Fred Wesley & The New JB's, Fred WesleyUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 Christian McBrideUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Janet Kay, Carroll ThompsonUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 MeatopiaBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Happy Mondays, The Lightning Seeds, Feeder, ...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 The Cake and Bake ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets