HMV Forum to Host Landmark Current 93 Double in May 2010 - Tickets: Friday 26th
In my mid-twenties I had a penchant for eerie-industrialists, Psychic TV and associated off-shoot bands on the Temple label. The imprint's output was a fusion of disturbed-folk and ritualistic-electronica, normally propelled by samples and sounds from the bowels of Hell. Cheery little bastard, wasn't I?
It gets heavier because my next port of call was the even more unsettling ramblings of the Belgian Crepuscule-offshoot, L.A.Y.L.A.H. Antirecords. The expression 'not well' comes to mind when you see and hear some of the roster and its 'hits' from the mid-80s, such as Laibach's 'Boji/Sila/Brat Moj' EP, Nurse With Wound's 'Brained By Falling Masonry' and the Hafler Trio's pancreatic hurler, 'Seven Hours Sleep'. Trust me on this one, but nothing gets creepier than Current 93's handful of disco-bangers such as 'Dogs Blood Rising', 'Swastikas For Noddy' and their inaugural release, 'LAShTAL'. OK, I will make an exception with the entire Throbbing Gristle catalogue, that IS scary.
Key members David Tibet and Steven Stapleton certainly know how to throw a party, that's if the joys of Paganism, Aleister Crowley, death, mysticism and the occult float your boat. I wasn't too fussed, I just liked the atmosphere of their records, most of which are now worth a small mortgage on eBay these days. If you like Psychic TV, Death In June, Nurse With Wound and Coil, you need to go and see them.
You have the chance to experience some of their later material (a little bit folkier these days), and the odd early track at two very rare and special dates in London at the HMV Forum on May 28th and 29th. Tickets go on sale at 9am on Friday 26th Feb and will cost £39.75.
They last played in the UK in 2008 when Marc Almond appeared on stage with them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as well as appearing at the Ether 2007 Festival. Their recent album, 'Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain' was warmly received by what few reviews it got and these two concerts will no doubt feature some of that set. 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Current 93 and the 50th birthday of David Tibet and joining in the fun on the 28th will be the irrepressible Nurse With Wound, with Rameses 3 and Comus appearing on the 29th. The latter gig starts earlier at 6pm and there will be different sets played on each night.
You may also be interested in
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Splendour, Paloma FaithWollaton Park/ Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 and Sun 29th Jul 2018 Yawning ManBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Jules Buckley, The Herita...Plymouth Hoe (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Aug 2018 Grizzly Bear, Jon Hopkins, Turbonegro, AuroraThree Ponds Valley (Poland)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Thu 16th Aug 2018 Ariel PinkBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Phoenix, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nils Frahm, Jungle, The Lemon...Le Fort De Saint-Pere (France)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Ferry Corsten, The Gallery [club night]Ministry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 This Must Be The Place: Ghostpoet, Happy MealsBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Creamfields, Eric Prydz, Martin Garrix, Tiësto, Fatboy ...Daresbury Estate (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 Yo La TengoKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Oh Sees, BEAK>O2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Mon 1st Oct 2018 Horse FeathersBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 Soft Cell: One Night One Final Time, Say Hello Wave GoodbyeThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 and Sun 7th Oct 2018 Harri EndersbyBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 and Thu 11th Oct 2018 AuroraBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Portico QuartetBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Halo MaudBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Estrons, Bryde, The Blinders, Boy Azooga, Kioko, CHILDCARE, ...: TwisterellaMiddlesbrough Various Venues (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 EivørBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 and Thu 1st Nov 2018 The GardenBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 WardrunaBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 and Wed 5th Dec 2018 DuotoneBuy Tickets