HMV Forum to Host Landmark Current 93 Double in May 2010 - Tickets: Friday 26th
In my mid-twenties I had a penchant for eerie-industrialists, Psychic TV and associated off-shoot bands on the Temple label. The imprint's output was a fusion of disturbed-folk and ritualistic-electronica, normally propelled by samples and sounds from the bowels of Hell. Cheery little bastard, wasn't I?
It gets heavier because my next port of call was the even more unsettling ramblings of the Belgian Crepuscule-offshoot, L.A.Y.L.A.H. Antirecords. The expression 'not well' comes to mind when you see and hear some of the roster and its 'hits' from the mid-80s, such as Laibach's 'Boji/Sila/Brat Moj' EP, Nurse With Wound's 'Brained By Falling Masonry' and the Hafler Trio's pancreatic hurler, 'Seven Hours Sleep'. Trust me on this one, but nothing gets creepier than Current 93's handful of disco-bangers such as 'Dogs Blood Rising', 'Swastikas For Noddy' and their inaugural release, 'LAShTAL'. OK, I will make an exception with the entire Throbbing Gristle catalogue, that IS scary.
Key members David Tibet and Steven Stapleton certainly know how to throw a party, that's if the joys of Paganism, Aleister Crowley, death, mysticism and the occult float your boat. I wasn't too fussed, I just liked the atmosphere of their records, most of which are now worth a small mortgage on eBay these days. If you like Psychic TV, Death In June, Nurse With Wound and Coil, you need to go and see them.
You have the chance to experience some of their later material (a little bit folkier these days), and the odd early track at two very rare and special dates in London at the HMV Forum on May 28th and 29th. Tickets go on sale at 9am on Friday 26th Feb and will cost £39.75.
They last played in the UK in 2008 when Marc Almond appeared on stage with them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as well as appearing at the Ether 2007 Festival. Their recent album, 'Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain' was warmly received by what few reviews it got and these two concerts will no doubt feature some of that set. 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Current 93 and the 50th birthday of David Tibet and joining in the fun on the 28th will be the irrepressible Nurse With Wound, with Rameses 3 and Comus appearing on the 29th. The latter gig starts earlier at 6pm and there will be different sets played on each night.
You may also be interested in
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 to Thu 3rd May 2018 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Ferry CorstenMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 Jah WobbleThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Pere UbuBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Oxford, The Jacksons, The New Power Generation...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 In The Park Festival, Marc Almond, Heaven 17, Big Minds, Abs...Garon Park (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Raw Power Festival, Circle, Zombie Zombie, Snapped AnklesBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 Godflesh, Zombie Zombie, Cocaine Piss, Father MurphyBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Let's Rock Bristol, The Human League, Marc Almond, Bucks Fiz...The Downs (Clifton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Electric Summer: a-ha, Marc Almond, Thompson Twins - Tom BaileyHuish Park Stadium [Yeovil Town FC] (Yeovil)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Vels TrioJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Wed 20th Jun 2018 Portico QuartetBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 AnathemaHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Daemonia NympheO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Let's Rock Scotland, Billy Ocean, Marc Almond, Tony Hadley, ...Dalkeith Country Park (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Let's Rock ExeterPowderham Castle (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Oneohtrix Point NeverBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Harri EndersbyThe Big Comfy Bookshop Coventry (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Pearl Jam, Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of ...Passeio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Folk by the Oak, Amy MacDonald, Eliza Carthy, Julie Fowlis, ...Hatfield House (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 and Sun 29th Jul 2018 Yawning ManBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Aug 2018 Grizzly Bear, Jon Hopkins, Turbonegro, AuroraThree Ponds Valley (Poland)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Thu 16th Aug 2018 Ariel PinkBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Oh Sees, BEAK>O2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 Soft Cell: One Night One Final Time, Say Hello Wave GoodbyeThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 and Thu 11th Oct 2018 AuroraBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets