HMV Forum to Host Landmark Current 93 Double in May 2010 - Tickets: Friday 26th
In my mid-twenties I had a penchant for eerie-industrialists, Psychic TV and associated off-shoot bands on the Temple label. The imprint's output was a fusion of disturbed-folk and ritualistic-electronica, normally propelled by samples and sounds from the bowels of Hell. Cheery little bastard, wasn't I?
It gets heavier because my next port of call was the even more unsettling ramblings of the Belgian Crepuscule-offshoot, L.A.Y.L.A.H. Antirecords. The expression 'not well' comes to mind when you see and hear some of the roster and its 'hits' from the mid-80s, such as Laibach's 'Boji/Sila/Brat Moj' EP, Nurse With Wound's 'Brained By Falling Masonry' and the Hafler Trio's pancreatic hurler, 'Seven Hours Sleep'. Trust me on this one, but nothing gets creepier than Current 93's handful of disco-bangers such as 'Dogs Blood Rising', 'Swastikas For Noddy' and their inaugural release, 'LAShTAL'. OK, I will make an exception with the entire Throbbing Gristle catalogue, that IS scary.
Key members David Tibet and Steven Stapleton certainly know how to throw a party, that's if the joys of Paganism, Aleister Crowley, death, mysticism and the occult float your boat. I wasn't too fussed, I just liked the atmosphere of their records, most of which are now worth a small mortgage on eBay these days. If you like Psychic TV, Death In June, Nurse With Wound and Coil, you need to go and see them.
You have the chance to experience some of their later material (a little bit folkier these days), and the odd early track at two very rare and special dates in London at the HMV Forum on May 28th and 29th. Tickets go on sale at 9am on Friday 26th Feb and will cost £39.75.
They last played in the UK in 2008 when Marc Almond appeared on stage with them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as well as appearing at the Ether 2007 Festival. Their recent album, 'Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain' was warmly received by what few reviews it got and these two concerts will no doubt feature some of that set. 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Current 93 and the 50th birthday of David Tibet and joining in the fun on the 28th will be the irrepressible Nurse With Wound, with Rameses 3 and Comus appearing on the 29th. The latter gig starts earlier at 6pm and there will be different sets played on each night.
You may be interested in
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 Jah WobbleThe Sugarmill (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Mar 2019 Nubya Garcia, Vels Trio, Emma-Jean Thackray's Walrus: The Shape of Sound to ComeBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Oneohtrix Point NeverRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Sat 16th Mar 2019 Lydia LunchBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 InterrobangKatie Fitzgerald's (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Apr 2019 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Headsticks, Interrobang, Steve IgnorantBuy Tickets
- Mon 29th Apr 2019 to Sun 19th May 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th May 2019 and Sun 5th May 2019 Dead Can DanceBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th May 2019 to Wed 15th May 2019 Marc AlmondBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th May 2019 Let's Rock the MoorMarsh Meadow - Cookham (Berkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th May 2019 to Tue 21st May 2019 BEAK>Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2019 Yawning Man, Alain JohannesUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 NOS Primavera Sound, Solange, StereolabParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Hampton Cou...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Live at Down Hall, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orc...Down Hall Estate (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2019 Kew the Music, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchest...Kew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Jul 2019 and Wed 17th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, Burt Bacharach, Joss StoneBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 and Fri 19th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, George BensonBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 AnathemaThe Dome/ Grand Central Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, Marc Almond, Immodesty BlaizeEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 Let's Rock Liverpool, The Human League, Tony Hadley, Marc Al...Croxteth Country Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Jul 2019 and Fri 2nd Aug 2019 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, The Heritage OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Let's Rock Belfast, Billy Ocean, Tony Hadley, Marc Almond, T...Boucher Playing Fields (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Nov 2019 Harri EndersbyHarwell Village Hall (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Nov 2019 to Sun 22nd Dec 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Pauline Bla...Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Dec 2019 to Sat 14th Dec 2019 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, The Heritage Orchestra, P...Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 and Sat 7th Dec 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Pauline Bla...Buy Tickets