HMV Forum to Host Landmark Current 93 Double in May 2010 - Tickets: Friday 26th
In my mid-twenties I had a penchant for eerie-industrialists, Psychic TV and associated off-shoot bands on the Temple label. The imprint's output was a fusion of disturbed-folk and ritualistic-electronica, normally propelled by samples and sounds from the bowels of Hell. Cheery little bastard, wasn't I?
It gets heavier because my next port of call was the even more unsettling ramblings of the Belgian Crepuscule-offshoot, L.A.Y.L.A.H. Antirecords. The expression 'not well' comes to mind when you see and hear some of the roster and its 'hits' from the mid-80s, such as Laibach's 'Boji/Sila/Brat Moj' EP, Nurse With Wound's 'Brained By Falling Masonry' and the Hafler Trio's pancreatic hurler, 'Seven Hours Sleep'. Trust me on this one, but nothing gets creepier than Current 93's handful of disco-bangers such as 'Dogs Blood Rising', 'Swastikas For Noddy' and their inaugural release, 'LAShTAL'. OK, I will make an exception with the entire Throbbing Gristle catalogue, that IS scary.
Key members David Tibet and Steven Stapleton certainly know how to throw a party, that's if the joys of Paganism, Aleister Crowley, death, mysticism and the occult float your boat. I wasn't too fussed, I just liked the atmosphere of their records, most of which are now worth a small mortgage on eBay these days. If you like Psychic TV, Death In June, Nurse With Wound and Coil, you need to go and see them.
You have the chance to experience some of their later material (a little bit folkier these days), and the odd early track at two very rare and special dates in London at the HMV Forum on May 28th and 29th. Tickets go on sale at 9am on Friday 26th Feb and will cost £39.75.
They last played in the UK in 2008 when Marc Almond appeared on stage with them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as well as appearing at the Ether 2007 Festival. Their recent album, 'Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain' was warmly received by what few reviews it got and these two concerts will no doubt feature some of that set. 2010 marks the 25th anniversary of Current 93 and the 50th birthday of David Tibet and joining in the fun on the 28th will be the irrepressible Nurse With Wound, with Rameses 3 and Comus appearing on the 29th. The latter gig starts earlier at 6pm and there will be different sets played on each night.
You may also be interested in
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Hak BakerBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 AuroraHoxton Hall (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Vels TrioBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 Anna von HausswolffBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Harri EndersbyBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 and Sat 24th Mar 2018 Happy MealsBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 to Thu 12th Apr 2018 InterrobangBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 Interrobang, Bilge PumpBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 GrandbrothersVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 Interrobang, Louise DistrasThe Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 Julio Bashmore, Happy MealsMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 DuotoneThe Kitchen Garden Cafe (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 to Mon 30th Apr 2018 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Ferry CorstenMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 Jah WobbleThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Pere UbuBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Oxford, The Jacksons, The New Power Generation...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 In The Park Festival, Marc Almond, Heaven 17, Big Minds, Abs...Garon Park (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Electric Summer: a-ha, Marc Almond, Thompson Twins - Tom BaileyHuish Park Stadium [Yeovil Town FC] (Yeovil)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Daemonia NympheO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets