Fat Friday 26th February 2010 - Delphic, Suede, Primal Scream, Sepultura, Godfathers and Proclaimers on Sale From 9am
Posted: 25th February 2010
This week's stunningly curvaceous Fat Friday is like a who's who of acts from days gone by - and what's wrong with that? I must be showing my age but I reckon this Friday is the most eclectic yet, however there are a few 'in-vogue' beauties up for grabs as well.
Delphic The first of those is Delphic from Manchester. Boy, have these lads had a busy time of it lately with a top 10 album now firmly embedded in people's CD / download collections, plus lots of UK dates already played and many more to come. Their dates in May will be available in the blink of an eye, including a night at the Camden Ballroom (18th) and the Ritz in their home-town (21st), priced from around £11. The trio will also be pumping out their retro-techno anthems at a few festivals this year, including the Evolution Weekender (Tyneside) and Bestival 2010.
Corinne Bailey Rae Another artist currently on the right side of the media schmooze is the elfin-like Corinne Bailey-Rae, fresh out of the blocks with a new album and a supporting date in her home-town of Leeds on March 27th. Trust me this will sell quickly since the soul and jazz star oozes class and sings a natty tune to boot. Tickets will cost £18.50.
Kris Kristofferson Musically different, yet another performer with class is country and Americana star, Kris Kristofferson. You may have seen him star in the trucker's movie 'Convoy' as the rebellious 'Rubber Duck', driving full-pelt through road-blocks and generally causing mayhem across several States. He's calmed down since then of course (lost his license didn't he...) and now appears 'live' on stage crooning favourites such as 'Help Me Make It Through The Night' and 'Me and Bobby McGee'. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast will play host in August for around £30.
Primal Scream Back to what seems like a battle-of-the-reformed and Primal Scream and Suede go on sale for various dates in the coming months. The Scream will play their landmark album 'Screamadelica' in full at a special event on November 27th at the Olympia, London W14. You'll have to be very, very quick for these tickets, and indeed for Suede's Manchester Ritz gig on March 21st (just prior to the Teenage Cancer Trust sell-out concert at the Royal Albert Hall on the 24th). I wouldn't be surprised to see more gigs from Brett and the boys although I wouldn't hold your breath. £25 will get you a Suede ticket, £35 for a spot of 'Loaded' etc from Gillespie's clan.
The Godfathers have also recently got back together for, what used to be, their annual St Valentines Day Massacre concert in London. It looks like they have got the gigging bug back again with a magnificent seven headlining dates coming up in Apr/May and if you want to see a band with two guitarists playing straight-up punk n rock n roll n attitude, seriously get your card out and click like a crazy mad fool - for all the London bands playing the circuit at the moment, Krakatoa spring to mind, this lot were the purveyors from day one.
The Proclaimers From the other end of the British Isles we welcome the Reid brothers back to the live circuit (not that they've been away for long) and it's another handful of Scottish dates for The Proclaimers. You might have to walk '500 Miles' to see them, although I'd recommend the train myself, because they are avoiding Glasgow and Edinburgh for a change and visiting Troon, Stirling, Inverness and others. It is these dates that go on sale on the 26th - their later June dates in the North of England are already available.
Sepultura If you want something heavier then check out Brazlian thrash-metallers, Sepultura. They return to the UK in July for a decent jaunt around the nation, including Sheffield, Reading, Norwich and London for the reasonable price of around £18 or less. It's highly likely that the UK dates might get recorded for a planned DVD release later this year. The lads have just finished supporting Metallica in Brazil as well - can you imagine Sepultallica with Hetfield drumming?
Band Of Horses Finally, we have a couple of one-off reminders - anthemic rockers Band Of Horses, avant-gardists Current 93, sloganeering punks The Fall and the gravel-tonsilled acoustics of Mark Lanegan should whet your whistle somewhat and tease your credit card from your wallet. I highly recommend all four of these - the Current 93 pairing in London will fly out, notoriety AND an experience you might not see again, trust me.
- Sat 13th Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan The Invisible Wind Factory (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan Brudenell Social (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan Waterfront (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan Tramshed (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford) Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Feb 2021 Mark Lanegan Concorde 2 (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Mar 2021 Mark Lanegan O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford) Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Apr 2021 Current 93, Six Organs Of Admittance, Krar Collective O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush) Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Apr 2021 Suede : Coming Up Usher Hall (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Apr 2021 Suede O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Apr 2021 Suede O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Apr 2021 Suede : Coming Up Victoria Warehouse (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Apr 2021 Suede : Coming Up Alexandra Palace (London) Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th May 2021 to Sun 30th May 2021 Bearded Theory's Gathering, The Flaming Lips, Primal Scream, Patti Smith, The Dualers, Ferocious Dog, Neville Staple, Gaz Brookfield, Ed Tudor Pole, She Drew the Gun, October Drift, JOHN, Imperial Wax, 3 Daft Monkeys Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire) Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jun 2021 Isle of Wight Festival, Lionel Richie, Lewis Capaldi, Jess Glynne, Becky Hill, LONA, Primal Scream, Shed Seven, Sigma Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight]) Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Aug 2021 Hollywood Vampires, Primal Scream Utilita Arena Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Aug 2021 Bingley Weekender, Primal Scream, Embrace, Peter Hook and the Light Bradford & Bingley RFC/ Bradford and Bingley Sports Club (Bradford) Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Aug 2021 Hollywood Vampires, Primal Scream First Direct Arena (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Aug 2021 Hollywood Vampires, Primal Scream SSE Hydro (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Aug 2021 Hollywood Vampires, Primal Scream The O2 Arena (Greenwich) Buy Tickets