Spring 2010 One-offs, including: Ian McNabb, Daniel Johnston, James Walsh, Band of Horses and more
Y'know, in the wacky and busy world of Allgigs, we spend so long trawling through the very best in festivals, tours and theatre-runs for you that it gets all too easy to forget about those special one-off gigs that artists play from time to time. Below is a guide to some of the latest tickets available for the famous, the infamous and the forgotten, yet no less excellent, acts we have on offer.
Singer-songwriters are two-a-penny these days, but how can you resist some of the most-revered songsmiths from the past 30 years or so? Very much an important figure in the Liverpool music scene of the 80s and 90s is Ian McNabb, the man who gave us The Icicle Works and 'Merseybeast' (see what he did there?). His new album, 'Great Things', is right up there with his best work (review to follow soon) and having seen him at Kilburn's Luminaire recently, I can vouch for the man's sterling efforts. He plays two dates in May, one in York (15th) and one in Liverpool (22nd) - £10.
Another real presence on stage and a much-admired songwriter and activist is Daniel Johnston, a huge influence on Kurt Cobain, Lou Barlow, Flaming Lips, Beck and a host of acts on the quirky US-label, Shimmy-Disc. He will play one date in London (the Troxy - Apr 2nd) and another in Dublin (Vicar Street - 3rd), both being rare UK appearances.
James Walsh of the North-West's oft-ignored anthem-rockers, Starsailor, plays a special solo date at the Hard Rock Café in Manchester on March 18th. Apparently writing with 'Luka' composer, Suzanne Vega, Walsh (with help from band-mate Arno Carstens) will perform new and old songs for a charity gig that will also be replayed in London's Hard Rock Café on the 22nd, tickets priced at £20.
Band of Horses
If it's bands past and present that you want, then feast your mince pies on these beauties. Two much-touted and adored bands hit London in April, the first being Band Of Horses who played the Shepherd's Bush Empire a couple of years back to rapturous applause. Think epic Waterboys or Flaming Lips and you are a little nearer to understanding this quality group - tickets go on sale on Friday 26th. This time they hit KOKO on Apr 12th.
Bombay Bicycle Club
12 days later, this time at the HMV Forum, we have Bombay Bicycle Club fresh from their NME Shockwaves shows and riding a wave of adulation it seems. Yeah, they're pretty good and the Forum is the next step up for them, especially at £14. Tickets are on sale tomorrow (24th) at 9am.
Crosby, Stills and Nash
The above two bands have surely heard a tune or two from the repertoire of our next two acts playing special dates. Crosby, Stills and Nash have been writing and recording the precursor to Americana for a few decades now and they play one date in Dublin on July 1st (at the city's O2 Academy) for €55. Even minus Neil Young, they are a force to be reckoned with. Their 'CSN' and 'Déjà Vu' sets are certainly worth getting.
Not so well-known, but ever-present in just about every intelligent young indie band around today, is Artery from Sheffield. Never quite elevated any further than the critic's hearts in NME or Sounds, they were more aggressive and darker than the city's Comsat Angels yet more raw and energetic than Cabaret Voltaire. They play a rare date in their home-town on March 20th (£6) - if you can get tickets, book them and go.
Within the same ball-park are the darlings of the 80s Manchester music-scene, The Chameleons. They have been through the mill, personally, musically, spiritually and yet here is the real thing all over again. May 8th at the Bolton Soundhouse - remember the date and make sure you don't miss possibly THE best live band that never had a hit. Their remarkable second album, 'What Does Anything Mean, Basically?', has just been re-issued (review up soon).
Finally, fancy something a little more sedate? Acclaimed Italian-composer and pianist, Ludovico Einaudi, plays just one gig at the Royal Albert Hall on March 2nd for just £25, a decent price for a man who has written very pretty Nymanesque piano passages for two decades, shifted thousands and thousands of CDs yet still eludes most classical fan's radar. It's not going to be a rock n roll evening, but the man can still be emotive. Enjoy.
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Ian McNabbVillage Club - Thornton Hough (Wirral)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Ian McNabbVillage Club - Thornton Hough (Wirral)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Ian McNabbBiddulph Town Hall (Staffordshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbSheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbSheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbFruit (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Ian McNabbThe Con Club (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Ian McNabbSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbThe Slaughtered Lamb (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Gary Barlow, KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Bryan Adams: The Ultimate TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 All Points East, LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Scott MatthewsWinchester Guildhall (Winchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Wed 30th May 2018 Spear of DestinyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 Reef, The Wildhearts, Terrorvision: The Britrock Must Be Destroyed!Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Belle and SebastianSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 This is Tomorrow Festival, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Everyt...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)More Info..
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 Thousand Yard StareBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Nils Lofgren: 50 Years ... Up the RoadBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Beth DittoBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 DeerhunterBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 A Certain RatioBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Gaz CoombesDublin Academy [1/2/ Green Room] (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Tom ClarkeDr Bell's Baths (Leith)More Info..
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 WussyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Beck: BBC Music's Biggest WeekendThe Slipways (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 Morrissey and MarshallBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Aidan John Moffat, RM HubbertThe Deaf Institute (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 DMA'sBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Mon 28th May 2018 Jack LukemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 David FordThe Cluny 2 (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Florence and the Machine: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 Dot to Dot, The Horrors, Cassia, Marika Hackman, Pale Waves,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 Miles KaneBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 Gerry CinnamonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Tue 29th May 2018 Naomi ScottBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Orla GartlandWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Screaming FemalesThe Hope and Ruin (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Cocaine PissEBGB's (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 30th May 2018 James BayBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 The AlarmO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 All Points East, The xx, Lorde, Sampha, Popcaan, Lykke Li, R...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Robert Plant and the Sensational Sp...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Neighbourhood Weekender, The Courteeners, Jake Bugg, Kodalin...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Slam Dunk Festival, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Pvris, ...Various Leeds Venues (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Southampton, Lily Allen, James, All Saints, Th...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Birmingham Classical, Benjamin Grosvenor: BrahmsBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Norwich Punk & Alternative Festival: The Exploited, The Membranes, Spear of Destiny, Crisis [punk...Waterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Ham SandwichOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 We Are FSTVL, Andy C, Carl Cox, DJ EZ, Loco Dice, Sigma, Big...Damyns Hall Aerodrome (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Brigade, Slaves to GravityO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Twisted WheelThe Half Moon (Bishop's Stortford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 World Island, Loyle Carner, Nightmares On Wax, Yellow Days, ...Globe Road (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanNowton Park (Bury St Edmunds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Unknown Mortal Orchestra, DeerhunterAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 StereosonicsThe Picturedrome (Northampton)Buy Tickets